Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

some1uDNTknow

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
United States
So I went through Sprint's worldwide support center and had my iPhone 6 unlocked for international use. I got an email from the support team that they have made a request from apple to unlock it and in four hours it would be ready after an iTunes restore.

I'm wondering if there is anyway to confirm it's unlocked? I don't want to lose my jailbreak.

HarrisonTaylor

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
All Verizon iPhone 4s as of yesterday are factory unlocked for both domestic and international use, there is no longer a need to call Verizon to get it unlocked and you can now use domestic SIMs in Verizon 4s.

----------

So I went through Sprint's worldwide support center and had my iPhone 6 unlocked for international use. I got an email from the support team that they have made a request from apple to unlock it and in four hours it would be ready after an iTunes restore.

I'm wondering if there is anyway to confirm it's unlocked? I don't want to lose my jailbreak.

Insert your non-Sprint SIM card, if a iCloud lock screen pops up enter your credentials and the unlock will complete.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Bummer!

Well, it looks like all I have is an international unlock. :(

Restored with an active T-Mobile SIM in the phone and once everything finished up I immediately got the invalid SIM error from both the phone and iTunes.

Hopefully they release a jailbreak for 8.1.3 soon. Just glad I didn't try this on my wife's iPhone. She's still on 6.0.1.

Don.Draper

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2013

Restored with an active T-Mobile SIM in the phone and once everything finished up I immediately got the invalid SIM error from both the phone and iTunes.

Interesting. Do you think this is because the phone was still active on your account? Or maybe Worldwide services was submitting a domestic unlock policy in error and caught their mistake? I have a buddy also having an issue using a T-mobile sim in his 5S after being told his phone was unlocked internationally. His phone is still active on his Sprint account, and he is still under contract, if that means anything.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Interesting. Do you think this is because the phone was still active on your account? Or maybe Worldwide services was submitting a domestic unlock policy in error and caught their mistake? I have a buddy also having an issue using a T-mobile sim in his 5S after being told his phone was unlocked internationally. His phone is still active on his Sprint account, and he is still under contract, if that means anything.
It is possible because my phone(s) are still active (one is still in contract, perhaps that may be why?) I suppose.

I'll just chalk it up to my usual luck in things like this though.

MrAudio

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2015
Help Please!

Hey guys, sorry to be a bother, but I need some help. My daughter just got a new iPhone 6 on Sprint and gave me her old iPhone 4S. I am on TMobile. She called Sprint to unlock it and they gave her a (5) digit unlock code, but absolutely NO instructions. How do I go about using this phone on TMobile? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Hey guys, sorry to be a bother, but I need some help. My daughter just got a new iPhone 6 on Sprint and gave me her old iPhone 4S. I am on TMobile. She called Sprint to unlock it and they gave her a (5) digit unlock code, but absolutely NO instructions. How do I go about using this phone on TMobile? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Please don't take my following list the wrong way because I'm not yelling, but this has been covered in several posts above yours as well as Post#1.

1. Sprint is only domestically unlocking the iPhone 5c, 5s, 6 and 6+. The iPhone 4, 4s and iPhone 5 are not included. That said, some people have found that by getting an international unlock on the 4s and 5 their phones are being fully unlocked.

2. Apple does not use MSL codes. What you have is worthless. If you had a non Apple phone though, you could go to your dialer, put in a special sequence and then enter the MSL code. Doing that would give you access to the phones settings allowing you to change network settings from one carrier to another - effectively "unlocking" the phone. But again, Apple does NOT use MSL codes.

If you want to take a chance that an international unlock will provide a domestic unlock for you then have your daughter call Sprint and ask them for an international unlock on the phone. You may get lucky. I did not.

Otherwise, you have an iPod Touch.

MrAudio

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2015
Please don't take my following list the wrong way because I'm not yelling, but this has been covered in several posts above yours as well as Post#1.

1. Sprint is only domestically unlocking the iPhone 5c, 5s, 6 and 6+. The iPhone 4, 4s and iPhone 5 are not included. That said, some people have found that by getting an international unlock on the 4s and 5 their phones are being fully unlocked.

2. Apple does not use MSL codes. What you have is worthless. If you had a non Apple phone though, you could go to your dialer, put in a special sequence and then enter the MSL code. Doing that would give you access to the phones settings allowing you to change network settings from one carrier to another - effectively "unlocking" the phone. But again, Apple does NOT use MSL codes.

If you want to take a chance that an international unlock will provide a domestic unlock for you then have your daughter call Sprint and ask them for an international unlock on the phone. You may get lucky. I did not.

Otherwise, you have an iPod Touch.

SORRY for apparently asking the same question(s) again. I did read all of the posts above and it had my head swimming :confused:

If I pay one of the online services to "unlock" this phone, then can it be used on TMobile?

I just want to be able to use this and get rid of my Motorola Flip phone...yeah, yeah I know ;)

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
SORRY for apparently asking the same question(s) again. I did read all of the posts above and it had my head swimming :confused:

If I pay one of the online services to "unlock" this phone, then can it be used on TMobile?

I just want to be able to use this and get rid of my Motorola Flip phone...yeah, yeah I know ;)

You can't use the old 4s on TMobile.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
There has never been a third party unlock service that can do this. And there have been very few that could do an international only unlock for Sprint phones and they no longer do that.

There is zero way of getting the phone unlock except for Sprint itself to submit your IMEI to Apple. Any other attempt is simply going to cost you time and money and result in your sheer and utter frustration and rage.

As BasicGreatGuy said, you can't use it on T-Mobile.

MrAudio

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2015
Thanks!

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your help. I wonder what the chance is that Sprint would send the IMEI to Apple if my daughter got kinda rude and nasty with Sprint? They have been with Sprint for well over 10 years and have spent a ton of money.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks guys! I really appreciate your help. I wonder what the chance is that Sprint would send the IMEI to Apple if my daughter got kinda rude and nasty with Sprint? They have been with Sprint for well over 10 years and have spent a ton of money.
No chance.

She can ask for an international unlock only and hope it turns into a full unlock.

It is their policy to only offer useless MSL codes for the 4/4s and 5 and that's all you'll get out of them no matter how nice or how mean you are.

P.S. I have been with Sprint for 15.5 years. Loyalty to the customer only goes as far as the month between payment of your bill.

gugu

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2011
Hi eyounren, if I buy a used iPhone, how can I tell if the phone is under a contract? Is the phone or the SIM or both actually linked with the contract? this has confused me for a long time. Thank you!

IT'S OVER!!!! AS OF FEBRUARY 11, 2015 SPRINT UNLOCKS IPHONES! GET YOUR IPHONE UNLOCKED BY SPRINT!

New unlock policy.

ADDED PIC: Please note that you will probably have more luck with the proprietor of this fine unlock company than you ever will with Sprint!

HarrisonTaylor

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
Hi eyounren, if I buy a used iPhone, how can I tell if the phone is under a contract? Is the phone or the SIM or both actually linked with the contract? this has confused me for a long time. Thank you!
This is the wrong thread for this question.

It depends on the network.

----------

Thanks!!!

Request an international unlock. Devices no longer need to be active on Sprint for 90 days to qualify for intl' unlock, just need to be fully paid off.

----------

Hopefully they release a jailbreak for 8.1.3 soon. Just glad I didn't try this on my wife's iPhone. She's still on 6.0.1.

Had a similar issue, had my iPhone 5 unlocked for international use while it was still on Sprint back in November and it didn't work with U.S. SIMs, when I got my 6 I asked them to unlock it again for international use, they said they had a waiting list for inactive devices to be unlocked for intl' use and it would be done in 5 days. After 5 days I restored it and was able to use it on Verizon and AT&T.

eyoungren what I would suggest doing if you have a spare Sprint phone laying around is activate it then request an international unlock for your iPhone 5. I have had pretty good luck with Sprint in the past so if you want you can switch your account to another device and I can have Sprint add your IMEI to their inactive unlock list and see if that does anything, that's what I had to do. PM me and we'll talk.

Last edited by a moderator:

HarrisonTaylor

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING SPRINT IPHONE 4S DOMESTIC UNLOCK

If you have anything newer such as a 5 or 5s disregard this.

Sprint has 2 different unlock policies that can be applied to their iPhone 4s. One is for international use and the other is for both international and domestic.

1. 2008 - US Sprint Multi-Mode, UMTS Unlocked Except US SIM
If your iPhone has this policy applied, it is ONLY unlocked for international use and will not work domestically.

2. 2303 - Multi-Mode Unlock
If your iPhone has this policy applied, it's unlocked for both international and domestic use.

THE FOLLWING ALL SPRINT IPHONES EXCEPT THE IPHONE 4

Further information I have learned today has proved that requesting an international unlock through Sprint WHILE the device is active on the account will result in a international unlock only. Regardless if your phone is a 4s, 5, 6 plus, etc.

To get it unlocked for domestic use, you must request the international unlock on an INACTIVE device, meaning the device cannot be activated on any account at all. Doing this will get the domestic unlock provisioned to your device.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011

Further information I have learned today has proved that requesting an international unlock through Sprint WHILE the device is active on the account will result in a international unlock only. Regardless if your phone is a 4s, 5, 6 plus, etc.

To get it unlocked for domestic use, you must request the international unlock on an INACTIVE device, meaning the device cannot be activated on any account at all. Doing this will get the domestic unlock provisioned to your device.
Well, that applies to me. I also read that someone had an issue because another device on their account was still under contract and therefore Sprint's systems were rejecting the unlock for any phone on the account, whether paid off or not.

That applies to me as well - my wife's phone is not out of contract until August.

I will PM you later tonight.

P.S. Added your post to Post #1. Valuable info.

Last edited:

MrAudio

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2015

Sprint has 2 different unlock policies that can be applied to their iPhone 4s. One is for international use and the other is for both international and domestic.

If your iPhone has this policy applied, it is ONLY unlocked for international use and will not work domestically.

If your iPhone has this policy applied, it's unlocked for both international and domestic use.

Thanks for the info! So where would I find what "policy" my iPhone 4S is under?

risk235

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011
Maybe I overlooked it but say I buy a Sprint 5c or 5s from Craigslist, will I be able to call in and have Sprint unlock it or would the original owner have to do that?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Maybe I overlooked it but say I buy a Sprint 5c or 5s from Craigslist, will I be able to call in and have Sprint unlock it or would the original owner have to do that?
As long as nothing is owed on the phone's account then you can call in. Otherwise, the original owner would have to pay whatever is owed before Sprint would lift a finger.

ishun

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2015
----
Sprint has 2 different unlock policies that can be applied to their iPhone 4s.
----

I'm confused. At first you say it's only the 4s, and then you say its for everything above 4s.

???

HarrisonTaylor

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
I'm confused. At first you say it's only the 4s, and then you say its for everything above 4s.

???
You forgot to read the separating barrier between the 2 statements that says ONLY THE TOP applies to the 4s with the BOTTOM applying to the rest of the phones.

ishun

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2015
You forgot to read the separating barrier between the 2 statements that says ONLY THE TOP applies to the 4s with the BOTTOM applying to the rest of the phones.

Nah. I read it all.

Are you saying that the policies for the 4s are such, regardless of whether the device is active? But the 5 and above are only affected if they're active?

HarrisonTaylor

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
Nah. I read it all.

Are you saying that the policies for the 4s are such, regardless of whether the device is active? But the 5 and above are only affected if they're active?

cordobacalamar

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2015
hi everybody.
my name's nicolas and i'm from argentina.
the thing is i bought an iphone 5 from an ebay seller who posted it as unlocked, but it was locked to sprint.
is there anything i could do from here like calling sprint cs and asking them to unlock it?
could the former owner do that?
and in the worst case, could anyone please recommend me a trustable unlocking online service?
by the way, i'm not planning to use it at any other place than argentina, so i think an international unlock would do it.
thanks very much,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.