Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sprint customers with an iPhone are widely reporting that Wi-Fi calling does not work after installing iOS 11.2 and carrier settings version 31.0.

wifi-calling-iphone-7-800x436.jpg

Hundreds of complaints have surfaced across the web, including the MacRumors discussion forums, Sprint and Apple Support Communities, Twitter, and Reddit, since the software update was released earlier this month.

All models of the iPhone that support Wi-Fi calling appear to be affected, ranging from the iPhone 6 to iPhone 8 Plus, among others.

It's unclear if the issue is due to iOS 11.2 or the updated carrier settings, which support features like Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE. AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile customers are not affected, suggesting this is a carrier-specific problem.

Many affected customers have performed basic troubleshooting, such as resetting the iPhone's network settings or simply turning the device off and on again, but there doesn't appear to be a solution that works on iOS 11.2.

As a temporary workaround, some users have downgraded to iOS 11.1.2 and found that Wi-Fi calling becomes functional again.

MacRumors does not have an iPhone on the Sprint network in its possession, so we're unable to reproduce the issue. Sprint directed us towards Apple, which has not responded to multiple requests for comments over the past few days.

Last week, a support representative on Sprint's website relayed that the carrier plans to apply a temporary fix across a limited number of Wi-Fi calling servers while evaluating a long-term solution to the apparent bug. After several days, however, Wi-Fi calling is only working intermittently at best for some customers.

Apple also appears to be collecting data from affected customers who contact the company so that its engineers can investigate the matter, as it routinely does with any potential hardware or software issues.

For those unaware, with Wi-Fi calling, you can make or receive a phone call if you have a Wi-Fi connection in an area with little or no cellular coverage. The feature can be enabled in Settings > Phone > Wi-Fi Calling.

Update: Sprint says it is "actively working to resolve this" issue. A company representative said Sprint will "implement some additional changes" on late December 11 to increase Wi-Fi calling capacity. "This should get us to the optimal performance that is expected," the employee wrote.

Update 2: Sprint issued a carrier update that appears to solve the Wi-Fi calling issue for most Sprint users.

Article Link: Many Sprint Customers Unable to Use Wi-Fi Calling on iOS 11.2 [Updated]

Reactions: Dominicanyor

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
It never ceases to amaze me how Apple can release an update, not updating the affected item per their notes, and then something like this happens. What happened, did somebody forget to put that part BACK in? SMH

Reactions: WatchFromAfar

Dominicanyor

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2012
Florida
Im with att and having the same issue from time to time. I was going to back forth with an apple rep about the situation and could not get it fix. I went to the apple support forum and some people were having the same issues as well.

Dominicanyor

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2012
Florida

Sprint customers with an iPhone are widely reporting that Wi-Fi calling does not work after installing iOS 11.2 and carrier settings version 31.0.

wifi-calling-iphone-7-800x436.jpg

Hundreds of complaints have surfaced across the web, including the MacRumors discussion forums, Sprint and Apple Support Communities, Twitter, and Reddit, since the software update was released earlier this month.

All models of the iPhone that support Wi-Fi calling appear to be affected, ranging from the iPhone 6 to iPhone 8 Plus, among others.

It's unclear if the issue is due to iOS 11.2 or the updated carrier settings, which support features like Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE. AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile customers are not affected, suggesting this is a carrier-specific problem.

Many affected customers have performed basic troubleshooting, such as resetting the iPhone's network settings or simply turning the device off and on again, but there doesn't appear to be a solution that works on iOS 11.2.

As a temporary workaround, some users have downgraded to iOS 11.1.2 and found that Wi-Fi calling becomes functional again.

MacRumors does not have an iPhone on the Sprint network in its possession, so we're unable to reproduce the issue. Apple and Sprint have not responded to multiple requests for comments over the past few days.

Last week, a support representative on Sprint's website relayed that the carrier plans to apply a temporary fix across a limited number of Wi-Fi calling servers while evaluating a long-term solution to the apparent bug. After several days, however, Wi-Fi calling is only working intermittently at best for some customers.

Apple also appears to be collecting data from affected customers who contact the company so that its engineers can investigate the matter, as it routinely does with any potential hardware or software issues.

For those unaware, with Wi-Fi calling, you can make or receive a phone call if you have a Wi-Fi connection in an area with little or no cellular coverage. The feature can be enabled in Settings > Phone > Wi-Fi Calling.

We'll update this article if we receive any additional information from Apple or Sprint about the issue and a potential fix.

Article Link: Many Sprint Customers Unable to Use Wi-Fi Calling on iOS 11.2

Thanks MACRUMORS for addressing this issue..

Reactions: pastorkylesb

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
As the issue only affects phones on Sprint with carrier settings version 31.0, it's clearly an issue with that carrier setting from Sprint and iOS 11.2 and not a general iOS 11.2 issue. And since it works for AT&T/T-Mobile (Intel) and Verizon (Qualcomm) modems, it's not a hardware-related issue.

Reactions: bobmepp and KPOM

RyanXM

Contributor
Jul 7, 2012
DFW, TX
It has been a rough month for Apple iOS and macOS engineers and programmers.....just a comedy of errors flowing out of Cupertino.

Reactions: Delgibbons

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
For Verizon Wi-Fi calling I will (rather often) get a loud screeching noise mid-call that the other party can't hear. It will go on until I hang up and call them back.

No carrier has this implementation down perfectly.
I had somebody with Verizon tell me that this was happening to them a few months ago, but it’s the only time I’d heard of it on Verizon. I didn’t realize that this is a more widespread issue.

Reactions: WatchFromAfar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.