Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sprint today introduced a new plan called "iPhone Forever," which grants upgrade eligibility for the newest iPhone to any customer who doesn't have the most current version of Apple's flagship smartphone on their contract. The plan goes into effect today, and the company is opening the data plan to both new and old Sprint users, although the latter must have an upgrade eligible device to start using iPhone Forever.

iPhone-Forever-chart.jpg
"We asked ourselves, 'What could we do that would move our customers forward with the latest and greatest technology every day?' said Marcelo Claure, Sprint CEO. "We decided: How awesome would it be if anytime customers don't have the latest iPhone, they are eligible to upgrade, and have it be as simple as handing us your existing iPhone and picking up a new one - all included in your monthly rate."
iPhone Forever lets customers get an iPhone for $22 a month, with the simple rule that anytime they don't have the latest iPhone on their plan, they are automatically eligible for an upgrade. Sprint is also discounting the service to $15 per month for any customer who trades in an existing smartphone, the catch being that the new phone purchased has to be a 16GB iPhone 6, and the monthly rate will increase back to the normal amount after their next upgrade.

The $15 promotion will last until December 31, 2015, and the company notes that iPhone Forever is available on "any eligible Sprint rate plan." Sprint's announcement today follows a few week's worth of other carriers' detailing the introduction of their own brand new service plans for customers, no doubt all preparing for the next-generation iPhone launch sometime next month.

Article Link: Sprint's 'iPhone Forever' Program Ensures Customers Always Have the Newest iPhone

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Seemed interesting until I realized this was Sprint we were talking about. Would love to switch out my plan for a european plan. In France an unlimited plan is 17 euros I understand. I want that!

Reactions: Statusnone88

Kurotenshi

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2013
iPhone will be never be yours*

Welcome to more debit, buy the thing you cannot afford.

Actually, debt would be if they told you the iPhone was yours but you would pay them slowly and probably with interest.

They are lending you a phone for $15 a month so it's more like renting a house which I do not see many people arguing against.

Furthermore, $15 x 12months would be $190, do you expect to sell your previous generation phone and "loose" less than that? In my country that is not possible.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2012
This can be very dangerous, more and more borrowing for goods and services, which aren't an investment or aren't making any money. What happened to the old "I buy it when I have spare cash to do so" attitude?

There's nothing wrong with borrowing money so long as you can manage the payments. In many cases, it's a smart move since you can put your money to work elsewhere; especially if the other guy puts up the money at no cost to you (ie, no interest).

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
But I thought all the wizards of smart kept telling us iPhone sales were going to crash when U.S. carriers got rid of "subsidies". The fact is they weren't ever "subsidies", you were just paying off the phone overtime which doesn't appear to be changing. Is there really that much difference between so-called "subsidies" and an installment plan?

ronntaylor

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
Flushing, New York
I buy my phones outright (and never yearly!). And Sprint and T-Mobile have horrible coverage in the Virginia area I visit often. But I imagine there are plenty of people that will jump on this deal. Even with Sprint's horrible coverage.

Apple won't suffer with the end of subsidy programs. The carriers know this, even as the analysts try to scare investors.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Thanks, Sprint! Now T-Mobile will probably announce that their $15/month lease will apply not only for the iPhone 6s, but for every iPhone released in the future (or at least not the full $27/month) :p

Reactions: dbc34

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
This can be very dangerous, more and more borrowing for goods and services, which aren't an investment or aren't making any money. What happened to the old "I buy it when I have spare cash to do so" attitude?

It's a very interesting questions. Very much like if you would rent a car eternally if it's cheaper in the long run.

Reactions: tomnavratil

budselectjr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009
Minnesota
These programs are 0% APR so there is nothing wrong with them. And people that think buying phones outright is smart are losing money by not investing the difference at a higher interest rate. Never own a depreciating asset.

iOSFangirl6001

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
Too bad it's Sprint. Worst coverage ever in the Chicago area. No wonder T-Mobile surpassed them to become #3.

I here ya EVERY Person I've ever known personally anywhere with Sprint has nothing but poor service experience. My experiences as well my mothers have also been horrendous with them.

More call drops than Samsung sales and market share drops lol

iOSFangirl6001

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
Can you get a 6 Plus on iPhone Forever?

Apparently NO Not if you read and take the wording at face value

"the catch being that the new phone purchased has to be a 16GB iPhone 6, and the monthly rate will increase back to the normal amount after their next upgrade."

Rusty33

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2011
Australia
I actually think this is a cracker of a deal.

A phone is an asset that depreciated very quickly...so what is really the point in owning one outright? You're probably not going to be using it in 5 years, and it will be all but worthless. It is true that you cannot turn around and sell the phone after your contract 2-3 year contract expires, but the annual savings $240+ per year (compared to competitors) largely compensates for that.

Really, all this deal does is tie you to Sprint.

Reactions: dbc34

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
There's nothing wrong with borrowing money so long as you can manage the payments. In many cases, it's a smart move since you can put your money to work elsewhere; especially if the other guy puts up the money at no cost to you (ie, no interest).

Absolutely, borrowing in a form of an investment is absolutely fine in a way you describe it.

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
It's a very interesting questions. Very much like if you would rent a car eternally if it's cheaper in the long run.

Absolutely, we can see a similar debate with Adobe and their forced subscription model - I guess we live in an age where renting will become more common in these areas. If it's a good thing, not owning a product, I'm not that sure yet.

dbc34

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014

To me it's not about buying something you can't afford. You aren't getting underwater with these phone leases. Just think of it as part of your phone bill.

Akack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2011
USA

.....or I like to get each iteration of iPhones and "leasing" makes way more sense and plus I don't have to deal with the hassle of trying to sell it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.