Spy Photos - iWalk?

ThlayliTheFierce

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Uh-huh

Marco said it best. They would have been ALL over that. Just a quick question here: How many of you would buy one if a) it were a set-top box or b) if it were a handheld, like a PDA on steroids? I can tell you I'd order it on the spot if it were a handheld, but I'd probably NEVER buy a set-top box. Reason: the box is a cool toy, but the handheld would actually be useful. I think it's just too small of a market to be a set-top box.

J

J - MacSlash

Re: Dead giveaway...

Originally posted by Gelfin

Okay, now who DOESN'T know at this point that everybody on Earth knows what a Photoshop lens flare looks like?
Not to mention the Apple logo would be upside down when opened. Apple moved away from doing that over a year ago.

Dr_Raven

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2001
Someone suggested a really big hard drive in this device. But why?

This device shouldn't cannabolize the main product line which are the computers themselves (the "digital hub") which already have hard drives in them. This device, as part of the digital lifestyle, should allow a user to connect to their computer and use it's horsepower to create or edit something the user has made or has captured using some other device.

The last frontier of digital devices that can be used in the home is digital video recording. Everyone I know still has a VCR! It uses TAPE! Why? Everything else we record to is digital, so why are people still using TAPE?

How about a box that lets me record my favorite TV shows onto my computer's hard drive? I just plug in my cable connection to a coax connector on the device, plug in a firewire cable from the device to my computer, download the channel listings through an ethernet port to my computer which is connected to the internet, program what I want to record using a simple program that works like iTunes, which may actually include recording 2 or more TV shows that are on at the same time on different channels, then watch them later on my TV *or* on my computer. No subscription fees to a service, no fiddling with the buttons on a remote to program what I want to record, and better quality than a video tape. All for $299. Now that's a device I could really use to complete my digital lifestyle!

ThlayliTheFierce

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
FAKE (obviously)

Note how it has about halved in size from the previous shots(relative to the keyboard and the tiles in the other ones). This is so obviously a fake. It's really quite laughable.

P

porovaara

The shadows are even worse in his new high res image.

Nice try.

JereIC

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2001
Nice Attempt, tho

The only real problem with the image is that the light sources don't match up. It's actually a really cool model, and Apple would do right well to release a product like that. Of course, they'd probably want to include headphones with a portable device, so if the artist redos this pic again, s/he should add those in.

A

Anonimal

heh

How amusing. They've taken most of the supposed 'spy' photos down, now, but left one up. It's so obviously fake...well, that's been beaten to death, already.

No, it won't be a handheld. Quite frankly, I don't have a clue what it will be (and I have the distinct feeling that none of you have a clue on this, either). I'll be excited when I check the Apple page tomorrow, but until then, I'll just be waiting. After all, what good does it do to say, "this is what it will be," or "this is what it should be," when one has absolutely no say in the matter? Absolutely no good at all.

-Anomimal

Obsidian

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada
whats the point?

When it really comes down to it, what the heck is the point of spending hours apon hours fabricating beautiful images such as those, only to obviously be shot down as fakes?
What is he/she trying to do? get hits on a page that says "your add here?"

M

mikedman

fun for all

It certainly is a waste of time but it is fun none the less.... I recall reading a post on a random mac forum about apple making purpose built devices for the NAVY. Pure hogwash I am sure but its just another thing to make you say hmmm.

bgreel

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2001
pictures changed/removed...

Interestingly enough, the photos have changed on spymac since I first looked. The first set was of about 5 shots in a bathroom.

Now it's a closeup next to an apple keyboard...still has the look of photoshopping, but I love that there is a piece of paper in the background that says 'Dell' and a pack of marlboros off to one side...a designer with a sense of humor...or who knows, maybe it's real. I can't remember if that top button was on the previous one or not...and it still seems to be missing a stylus, as someone pointed out, and has a rather questionable ergonomic design.
But truthfully I'd much prefer this over some silly stereo component. Please don't introduce something for the home stereo...that just seems so...boring.

Looking in their graphics directory it looks like all previous images have been removed:
http://www.spymac.com/gfx/

M

mikedman

fun for all

It certainly is a waste of time but it is fun none the less.... I recall reading a post on a random mac forum about apple making purpose built devices for the NAVY. Pure hogwash I am sure but its just another thing to make you say hmmm.

S

sdfgdsfgdfsgdfg

The button was there, it's one of my least favorite features.

It's obviously a rendering, but very interesting nonetheless. I too would like something portable with a screen as opposed to a home component.

Alex

ScottF

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2001
YOU ARE ALL WRONG !!!

Apple are releasing a Digital Fish Tank , it will even have real Fish !!

B

Britney

Re: pictures changed/removed...

Originally posted by bgreel
But truthfully I'd much prefer this over some silly stereo component. Please don't introduce something for the home stereo...that just seems so...boring.
I hate pesimists like you who will just speculate and dismiss whatever it is before it even comes out.

What if it's a component for the home stereo that links your home CD collection to those of all your friends and family?

What if it's a component for the home stereo that plays any song from any computer in your house via wireless airport?

What if it's a component for the home stereo that can download any new CD's that come out by your favourite artist with the touch of a button and a subscription?

What if it's a component for the home stereo that is voice activated and plays any song in your mp3 or CD collection by name?

What if it's a home stereo that can make you travel in time?

Whatever it is. You can't just dismiss it for one single fact like that if you have no friggin idea of what is is or what it does.

It's pesimists like you that ruin Apple's releases.

E

Ed

No idea why anyone thinks of a bathroom, looking at that picture. And its TINY, that thing.... look at the space bar of the keyboard above it and the cigarette package.

Reading all the posts makes me wonder if I am seeing another picture as everyone else.

But, what rises my suspicion are a few things:
- the strange texture of the "metal", it looks like its painted with "hammerite".
- the odd looking chrome 'open' slide on the lid/(screen?)
- the total difference from apples ibook/powerbook design
- the fact that http://www.iwalk.com is registered. And not by Apple Inc.

Just a few hours.... then we may know.

Pelorus

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2001
iWalk no...iPhone...?

i'm not predicting it but I'd like it to be an airport equipped IP phone that has some onboard storage and can be used as an MP3 player and voice recorder and answering machine.

Heck..if it had IM capabilities too it would explain their hiring of Eric Peyton from Epicware...

I think it's an iPhone...or iMessenger or iComm or something.

M.

Newton-Man

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2001
Scammonden, UK
2 Hours and many questions

Hi

Many sources have told me that the press conference will be broadcast via quicktime.

I notice that Apples site has not changed at all, do you think they are going to change it soon??

If not, how do we view it??

Thanks,
Guy Wickenden

J

Joseph

It's the new iMac

This is all a smoke screen. My close friend works for Apple UK and told me yesterday that they are actually going to announce the new LCD iMac. (Won't ship until end of November) All the rumors etc are a smoke screen! Why else did Apple say 'Hint - it's not a Mac'. To throw you all off the trail. And boy did that work.

10am PT - new LCD iMac announced.

You heard it here first.

Jo

ElGreco

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2001
Why is everyone so sure that today this iPod or iWalk or iWhatever thing will be anounced? Don't you think there would at least be a link to a press conference's info-page on Apple's site?

I am highly doubtful we will get to see something new on Apple.com today or anytime soon.

Just think how disappointing this year's MWNY was for the public. And Steve has felt that. So he won't make this fault again. He surely will never again walk upon the stage with nothing in his hands than yesterday's news news. Believe me.

Later,
Greco