Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Square Mobile Payments Now Available for iPhone

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Square has updated their app to provide universal support for both iPad and iPhone/iPod Touch devices. Square is an interesting mobile payment processing application for Apple's mobile devices that allows anyone to accept credit card payments. While other mobile credit card processing apps already exist, Square is targeted at any business -- small or large -- and does not require a merchant account.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSzsFAJAKHI

Square is a free app that interfaces with the Square credit card reader which plugs into the headphone jack of your mobile device. Square will send the reader free to anyone that signs up. Square then charges a percentage of the sale plus 15 cents. There are no monthly minimums or setup costs. More information is available at SquareUp.

Article Link: Square Mobile Payments Now Available for iPhone

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
still no card readers, tho

They're starting to mail them out this week now that the universal app is out for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. I downloaded this last night and am awaiting my card reader. I'm pretty excited about this app and am anxious to see it in action. My first usage of it will probably be at a neighborhood yard sale in a couple of weeks. It will take cash transactions and allow you to send an email or SMS receipt to the customer.

Am I missing something?? the website says there is a card reader that works with iphone and plugs into the headphone jack???

Check it out: https://squareup.com/features

Comment

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Am I missing something?? the website says there is a card reader that works with iphone and plugs into the headphone jack???

I assumed he means a card reader for the new Debit/Credit cards that have a chip on them instead of a magnetic stripe. But then he just can't read and I assume too much.

Still, a lot of the new cards in Europe/Downunder are lacking a magnetic stripe.

Comment

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
This, plus the Paypal app, will go down so well at convention booths, selling independent comics and such :D Very promising

still no card readers, tho

Hopefully, there'll be no need. You don't need the chip on the card online - just the digits - and I take it Square works in the same way

Comment

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Slow news day, obviously, but even so, shouldn't front page articles be of interest to at least a four-digit number of people?

Comment

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I assumed he means a card reader for the new Debit/Credit cards that have a chip on them instead of a magnetic stripe. But then he just can't read and I assume too much.

Still, a lot of the new cards in Europe/Downunder are lacking a magnetic stripe.

No problem. You can manually enter a credit card number and it will work the same way.

Comment

TheCheapGeek

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
My account page indicates that my card reader shipped about 4 days ago. This is going to be a great system for my small technology consulting business.

Comment

swb1192

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
I have my card reader and it doesn't work with the iPhone app - you HAVE to type it in. The card reader works with the iPad app, though. Guess we'll have to wait for another update to be able to swipe cards.

EDIT: Just used the Android app, it works with the card reader. Looks like it's only the iPhone app (I tried it on my iPod Touch, maybe that's the problem?)

Comment

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
LOL....just looking at the framegrab of the informational video....

Would YOU trust your credit card purchases to guys loking like that. ;)

Comment

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
What's next?? If the 4th Gen iPhone has a front facing camera, maybe the next step is a Retina Scan app... :D

Comment

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Using the iPhone in business and commerce? Pfft, who's interested in that? :p
I presume you aren't implying we buckle up and wade through an article on every app that's useful in business and commerce. Aren't there other sites for announcing and reviewing apps?

Comment

patsfan83

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2008
Nice video.

What's the longevity of that card reader? I feel like it is going to snap right off.

While the app is promising, the age where anyone can swipe someone's credit card scares me a little bit. How long until a fake "Square" app comes up that keeps your credit card data?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.