Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
Do you know the difference between a sculpture and a mobile device? Mobile devices are designed for use in various conditions. Their design must take into account the fact that the devices will be dropped, struck etc.

just stop.

like others stated, this is a durability test, not a build quality test.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
no surprises there, iPhone users favor beauty over durability, then cover it up with a case for durability

So true! But then again I covered up my Galaxy S2 with a case so it must be indestructible now!

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
Of course it's a durability test. But durability depends on build quality, don't you think?

not always.. case in point; iphone 4/4s.

you should read what others have posted. its not about you being wrong or right, its just that the test is a durability test, and not a build quality test.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
^ +1

that is like taking 2 cars and crashing them into a barrier to see which one survives the damage better. is that "build quality?" nope. that is structural integrity.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
It appears the OP is just trolling since he is obviously an android fan. Looking at his other posts/threads it's clear.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
I see. Some here are bent on the narrow definition of the build quality. Sure, we can all agree that iPhone 4S build quality is excellent but the design is fatally flawed.

It appears the OP is just trolling since he is obviously an android fan. Looking at his other posts/threads it's clear.

Trolling is when people talk about something unrelated to the subject at hand and do not contribute to the discussion (like you are doing).

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
I see. Some here are bent on the narrow definition of the build quality. Sure, we can all agree that iPhone 4S build quality is excellent but the design is fatally flawed.

youre ridiculous. the design isnt flawed. the design and build is exactly what apple wanted, and achieved. if it were any different then it would be flawed. :cool:

lilo777

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
youre ridiculous. the design isnt flawed. the design and build is exactly what apple wanted, and achieved. if it were any different then it would be flawed. :cool:

Quality is objective. It's not what Apple wants. The phone either breaks easily or not. It does not matter if Apple wanted it to be easily breakable. Event if they did, it's still a flawed design.

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Nothing to do with build quality. OP is a troll. iPhone 4S is not designed to be dropped.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
There's not much to defend here. iPhones break more easily when dropped. Price you pay for having the best looking phone on the market.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007

Trolling is when people talk about something unrelated to the subject at hand and do not contribute to the discussion (like you are doing).

Since you want to make build quality = durability, I can make trolling = flamebait. Do you even own an iPhone 4S or planning to own one? Why are you constantly focusing on it? Do you just want justification for your SGII purchase? You obviously just want to argue with others.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"

Fatally flawed?

I find it to be an incredible design
Classic, elegant, functional, timeless

I don't want want an unbreakable phone at the expense of the aesthetic design

I haven't dropped my phones once
3GS, 4 and 4S

Maybe instead of complaining about the "build quality" of the phone you should be more careful with your devices

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Sweet....video evidence that glass breaks when dropped on concrete.

Let me know if they post a video detailing what happens when you put a piece of paper in a shredder.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
This comparison is flawed in that SGSII is a Lamborghini here. As the tests show, SGSII is actually faster than iPhone 4S:

Lamborghinis break into many pieces when you crash them.

Therefore, according to you, that would mean they have poor build quality. Like the iPhone.

Can you at least keep your arguments straight?

Also, I'm sure that many car people would find your definition of "build quality" hilarious since it will, by definition, place the expensive, hand-made cars at the bottom of your "build quality" list. Good luck making this argument with one of them.

Number 41

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Probably be a good idea for apple considering its a glass phone, right?

Gorilla Glass is built to be durable when pressure is applied and resilient to scratching and grooves.

Like all glass, though, it's susceptible to impacts on the edges. Drop a pane of Gorilla Glass on it's edge and it'll shatter like any other pane.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
OP proved there are 6 insecure iPhone 4S owners so far. Anything to see their own phone win in any argument. And if it doesn't win, the owners sit there and pout while thumbing down the post.

Let's be real. Glass is beautiful but this comparison is like dropping a plastic cup vs a shot glass. If everything in our house was made of glass, there would be shards everywhere. Hard plastic might seem "cheap", but it is more practical toward drops and reception.

The best build quality comes from HTC, in my opinion. They use alot of aluminum/metal along with a soft touch. Check out the build quality around the Sensation and its variations like the XE. Feels premium and sturdy. Now if only they had more responsive touchscreens, increase the speaker quality, and throw in the MyTouch Slide 4G camera quality on most of their top-end phones. Then they would be the very best Android/WP7 OEM out there. Samsung has taken their crown this year although HTC was the champ in 2010.

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

That has NOTHING to do with build quality. You are either completely ignorant or you're a troll.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

That has NOTHING to do with build quality. You are either completely ignorant or you're a troll.

I see. Not everybody agrees with me. That's fine. The problem is that those in opposition can't say what the build quality is. How can they claim then that iPhone has high build quality?

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
I see. Not everybody agrees with me. That's fine. The problem is that those in opposition can't say what the build quality is. How can they claim then that iPhone has high build quality?

because build quality is not durability. Corvettes may have high build quality, but not so much in terms of durability because of the material it's made out of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.