Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iCeFuSiOn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
To help those looking for the type of display, here is what you would be looking for:

picture1gm9.png

Look at the model, it will be the last 4 characters listed (00009C67 = 9C67, which is LG).

Jeff5i

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2005
Is anyone purchasing new MBP's experiencing this issue, or has apple resolved it?

Jeff

astrosyt

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2008
Is anyone purchasing new MBP's experiencing this issue, or has apple resolved it?

Jeff

Yes, LeD displays still has that issue, and they ALL have it. If you think that you will get a display with no 1/3 yellow issue then you have backlight bleeding from below. (which make it looks white, but it isnt)

markrivers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Stevenson Ranch, California
just got my replacement MBP

from a 2.2 GHz MBP with 9c66
to a Penryn 2.4 Ghz MBP with 9c81

guess what i'm gonna do?
i won't run any test anymore as far as the LCD yellowish tint is concerned.
i calibrated it and to me it's ok..
not that much of a difference with the former.

i'm just tired.. TIRED of shipping and waiting for the replacement..
( inbetween shipping, i have to go to the local apple store to document the problem)
aaahh.. i think i'm having a relationship with the FEDEX courier bec of this!
:D

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
just got my replacement MBP

from a 2.2 GHz MBP with 9c66
to a Penryn 2.4 Ghz MBP with 9c81

guess what i'm gonna do?
i won't run any test anymore as far as the LCD yellowish tint is concerned.
i calibrated it and to me it's ok..
not that much of a difference with the former.

i'm just tired.. TIRED of shipping and waiting for the replacement..
( inbetween shipping, i have to go to the local apple store to document the problem)
aaahh.. i think i'm having a relationship with the FEDEX courier bec of this!
:D

You can't just leave us in suspense! Please run the tests and let us know...we've been waiting....

markrivers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
ok ok! i gotcha!
there is still some "darkening" / yellowing at the bottom.
i'm going to observe this for another 14 days..

if that's the only issue..
no problem with fan speed, white noise, not waking from sleep, heating issues..
i'll keep it..
i hope i can remain true to my word, unlike last time.

oh well!

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
Since you bought it from the store, why don't you just take it back for an exchange? it's easy to do and there are good ones out there!

Also, do you see any weird, alternating darkish, vertical shadows at the bottom? Basically every inch or so there is darker shadow, alternating dark and light across the bottom. It's very slight, but still there...

All this is crazy!

markrivers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Since you bought it from the store, why don't you just take it back for an exchange? it's easy to do and there are good ones out there!

Also, do you see any weird, alternating darkish, vertical shadows at the bottom? Basically every inch or so there is darker shadow, alternating dark and light across the bottom. It's very slight, but still there...

All this is crazy!

i don't see any vertical shadows.
oh well! i have 14 days anyway, what scares me more are dead or lazy pixels.
i'll keep u guys updated from time to time

rjp

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
How do you get Apple to exchange a new MBP?

How do you do this? Can you just go to an Apple store and ask for an exchange? Don't they make you "prove" it has a problem?

What do you do if they claim yellow screens are normal?

I just bought a MBP yesterday, so this is very relevant info for me.

Thanks,
Rich

QUOTE=jjahshik32;4433479]Actually I've been through 5 lg's not 3, because the very first mbp led I bought was a 2.2ghz lg that had a very very piss yellow band accross the dock, even viewing from the front was very very noticable. then I exchanged for another lg in the 2.2ghz which was washed out and then exchanged to a 2.4ghz and that too was an lg that looked washed out as well. Then I returned that one and in a few weeks later bought it thinking the yellowing was fixed and washed out as well (mycousin had a samsung with no yellowing colors were amazing, so I had it to compare to my lg). Then that one was a samsung but yellowing again and exchanged for another one and then another one and I kept that one until the gradient issue then one last time for an exchange making it 4th samsung *4 samsungs in a row =/* This one had 1 stuck pixel in the middle white very very small white dot. Sold it on ebay for a sony vaio tz, then I missed osx and tz was way too small then I went to comp usa and this was a few weeks ago when mbp led models were all sold out at all 2 applestores here in houston tx. So I bought a open floor mbp lg model from comp usa with a deal, took it back the next day *washed out colors* thought at the store it looked ok but nope. Then I bought another mbp when they had instock at the applestore and that too was an lg, again same washed out colors but not much yellowing at all, *whew*.

Ok after a week later of returning that one I decided to just use my mac pro, but I missed the portability of the mbp and didnt really need my 7gb ram mac pro since I dont use any pro apps really. So I sold it and about 3 days ago bought a mbp matte when its finally instock along with leopard and I was surprised that when I turned it on in my car in the galleria parkinglot that the colors looked very very vivid and I actually wanted the samsung because of the colors over the washed outness of the lg. I was used to the yellow tint by then. But it was odd no yellowing at all and it had awesome vivid colors and i checked the profile for the lcd and looked at line 13.. 9c66??? I took it home played with it more and compared the same backgrounds that i used to compare the many many other mbp's I had with lg's and samsung. This is THE perfect lcd I've been looking for. Looks better than samsung and all around even lighting even the bottom dock is amazing lit perfectly, no yellowing whatsoever, no warping, lid closes evenly, machine runs cool. Man finally after like 8-9 mbp I've been through since june-now... got my perfect mbp...

Sorry my typing has no commas or periods or proper grammar... Its 4am here and about to sleep..[/QUOTE]

ru-sirius?

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2008
bad apple!

Just received MBP 2.2 120 GB 9C6D model display (not LG, not Samsung)
ordered online from Apple. Pale, washed out colors in comparison with my other displays - faded purples, blues, etc. What a crock!
Seems Apple is playing the old 'bait and switch' that Dell and HP have already pioneered in LCD displays.
I also have the strange yellowing/darkening at the bottom of the screen esp. the bottom center and right of display.
Have tried downloading other .icc color profiles but no can fix.
Will try to exchange at my local Apple store if possible for better display, otherwise it is going back for a refund.
Thanks to all the info at this thread and others I can still return within 14 days of purchase. Rumor has it the 20" Cinema Display may be the next LCD to pull the switch.

Jottle

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2003
I just bought my machine as well. It was manufactured the last week of September, 2008. My screen has the yellow hue at the bottom. So it's pretty common on the macbook pro display line. I think almost all the screens have this issue. And mine is relatively recent. So it seems as though apple hasn't changed anything since people reported this issue a year ago...

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I just got one of the 'old' model MBPs (i.e. September) because I got it for $1444 from Amazon with a rebate (and frankly with the matte screen and extra firewire port it's BETTER than the new ones) and I haven't noticed any yellow hues. I haven't looked REAL close for it on a plain white screen, though, but if it were really prevalent, I think I would have noticed on a browser screen?

Jottle

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2003
FYI. To see if Apple's newer screens don't have this issue, I'm getting my top lid (lcd included) replaced this weekend. I'll let you know if the new panel is any better than the one i have. *crosses fingers*

Jottle

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2003
Got a new display. Still the same LG 9C81 model. This one doesn't have as much obvious yellowing on the far left and bottom, but the mura is all over the place and I have uneven backlighting. So crappy! I'm calling up customer relations to get a new screen. This is the pits...

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Got a new display. Still the same LG 9C81 model. This one doesn't have as much obvious yellowing on the far left and bottom, but the mura is all over the place and I have uneven backlighting. So crappy! I'm calling up customer relations to get a new screen. This is the pits...

Are you sure you guys aren't just seeing this when looking off center or too far from above or something? ALL my LCD monitors have 'yellowing' when looking from the sides, but it disappears when looking straight on at the proper elevation angle. The same is true of this new MBP I bought. It's perfectly 'grey/white' looking straight on but if I stand up above it or look from the sides it gets more yellow the further I move away from straight-on. I can't help but wonder if someone 'noticed' this and then everyone else who never paid attention to it before also noticed this and now they think something is wrong when this happens on all flat-screen type monitors.

Jottle

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2003
Are you sure you guys aren't just seeing this when looking off center or too far from above or something? ALL my LCD monitors have 'yellowing' when looking from the sides, but it disappears when looking straight on at the proper elevation angle. The same is true of this new MBP I bought. It's perfectly 'grey/white' looking straight on but if I stand up above it or look from the sides it gets more yellow the further I move away from straight-on. I can't help but wonder if someone 'noticed' this and then everyone else who never paid attention to it before also noticed this and now they think something is wrong when this happens on all flat-screen type monitors.

Absolutely. I've seen many of these screens as well. It's not the typical TN yellow panel effect that's partially a product of the led backlighting. All my screens have had the normal slight yellowing at off angles. But head on, the screen also has noticeable yellowing defect along the bottom third. And in the case of my second screen, 2'' on the left side. It's subtle. That's why most people don't notice it while just glancing at the screen. You have to use the computer for a bit to notice that whites and other colors are off the further down the screen you go.

Jottle

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2003
Had the screen replaced twice now. And I've had two different SR macbook pros. First screen was as LG 9c81, no yellowing but it had a scratch directly from the damn applecare tech. My current screen is another 9c81 LG and it has OK color uniformity, but unfortunately it also has the same bottom third yellowing that my original screen had. This time the whole screen is much more uniform in overall white balance. So I'm thinking about keeping this one for awhile ;) It's true. You can get a 9c81 screen that doesn't have yellowing, but I imagine it's rather hit or miss. Considering I've had a total of 5 screens and new lids each time, I can safely say that many of these screens DO have the yellowish tint at the bottom. There's no way that 3/5 screen being yellow for me is any sort of bad luck. I'm just going to live with this as it's likely no going to do me any good going through the hassle of another repair. Too bad.

Jottle

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2003
UPDATE: I'v had 3 different macbook pro's and about 7 different screen replacement all directly from Apple. I've had a couple LG 9c81 screens an AWFUL AUO screen, and the one I have now is a Samsung 9C83. Except for the AUO screen that had miserable looking mura shadows, every single screen exhibited the lower 1/3 yellow strip at the bottom of the screen. I have the Samsung screen and it has a pretty noticeable yellowing at the bottom. You really are playing the lotto with screens as I've had many new ones. None out of all 7 were free of the bottom yellowing. So consider yourself lucky if you have a perfect screen. I'm sick of dealing with this and do not want to jump to the 15'' unibody. So I'm going to keep this slightly yellow screen and live my life! :) Apple tried to help me many times and they've worked with letting me replace the screen on this particular macbook pro a total of 4 times. None of these screens have been good. So I'm going to say that it's not likely anyone sending theirs in for yellowing will avoid getting yet another yellow screen.

techmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
WOW. No offense but could you be just seeing the reflection from the keyboard on the screen? The lower part of the screen is dark because its in a corner and it may be giving you a "yellow" look. Going thru 7 screens and having them all be bad is a bit odd.

Jottle

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2003
Absolutely not a reflection as you can see it in the dark. It's almost like a yellow stain across the lcd. Anyone who has had the issue can see it no problem. It's not nearly as subtle as you might think. Any text document makes it easy to see the yellowing as it shows up best on white windows/docs.

techmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Absolutely not a reflection as you can see it in the dark. It's almost like a yellow stain across the lcd. Anyone who has had the issue can see it no problem. It's not nearly as subtle as you might think. Any text document makes it easy to see the yellowing as it shows up best on white windows/docs.

Im not saying this problem doesnt exist, ive seen it first hand. Its just very odd that Apple replaced the screen 7 times and each one had the same issue. Makes me wonder if its a cable or gpu problem.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
Im not saying this problem doesnt exist, ive seen it first hand. Its just very odd that Apple replaced the screen 7 times and each one had the same issue. Makes me wonder if its a cable or gpu problem.

I've had at least that many replacement displays too, albeit over multiple machines and they all had issues: either yellowing, horridly uneven backlight or other weird backlight bleed/shadowing. They may be the brightest in the industry, but the quality is just not there. Yes, consider yourself very lucky If you get a issue-free one! And think twice before you replace unless you're prepared to keep exchanging until you get what you want....

kimkrause

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2006
15 inch macbook pro bad screen

i just got my 15 inch mb pro and before i even read this post i was shocked at how crappy the display was. i had a 13 inch macbook for a few months and i swear the screen was far more even from left to right. maybe not the same contrast but when i put this new mac beside my older one i can't believe how bad the pro screen is. it's very yellowish on the sides even at very narrow veiwing angles. and if i hold the thing a certain way the damn lid closes all by itself and puts the machine to sleep. again this is only a few hours new...what happens after a few months of use? sometimes just picking it up from the desk causes the screen to flop forward and close or lean way back. the 13 incher never felt this cheap. i am very disappointed with this so called pro version of the macbook. wish i had kept the old one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.