SSD Hard Drives

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sigur Rossco, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Sigur Rossco macrumors newbie

I have a early 2011 Macbook Pro and going to increase the ram from 4gb to 8gb.

Doing some research into this and alot of sites are offering SSD Hard drives aswell.

My hard drive is 320 gb so would the SSD be an additional drive on top of the 320 or would I be removing the Sata drive aswell?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The SSD would need to replace the HDD. They're available in the standard 2.5" form factor.

There are mounting kits available to remove the optical drive and install a HDD in its place. That's the only way to have two drives installed internally.

3. Sigur Rossco thread starter macrumors newbie

So it would be worthwhile investing in a 480 or 960 GB one from Crucial instead of opting for a 128 GB?

4. comics addict macrumors 6502a

Sure, if you can afford it... :eek:

5. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

If you need all that storage, I would go for a data doubler for OWC, but I think that you could just go for a 256GB SSD.

Just be sure that TRIM is enabled.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You can get one of three options, an SSD (full NAND flash), an HDD (traditional disk drive)or a newer Hybrid Drive which has an SSD integrated as well as a traditional hard disk for extra speed boost without compromising storage and price.

7. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

If you decide to use your optibay make sure that you put a SATA II drive in it if you have a uMBP-15 or uMBP-17. The optibay in the 2011s doesn't play well with SATA III drives.

>

8. auto180sx macrumors newbie

I pulled my superdrive in favor of having a SSD and HDD the first day I had my Mac. To be honest the only time I've gotten mad about it was when I tried installing Windows via bootcamp... I'm using the Samsung 840 Pro SSD BTW, and I'm extremely happy with it. It comes with a 5 year warranty from Samsung to boot.

On another note, splurge for 16GBs of ram if your computer will take it. :cool:

9. Sigur Rossco thread starter macrumors newbie

Another option I was considering was:

Buying a 3TB airport extreme for the wife's Macbook air and my MBP to share and go for a 128GB SSD drive.

I've also been considering subscribing to iTunes Match due to the main storage hog of my MBP is the 100GB of music however I have reservations about that service at the moment.

10. paul-n macrumors regular

I would go at least for 250 GB SSD size to have enough local storage. If you need more you can go with a larged SSD or replace ODD with new or current HDD.