Ssd on a hackingtosh

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Threatnique, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Threatnique macrumors newbie

Threatnique

hey , I have a upgraded 2009 4,1 2.4ghz quad CPU system to 2010 5,1 3.46ghz quad CPU system. I have the gtx750 with no efi. I didn't feel much difference on speed after spending all that money on CPU. I'm researching the SSD drives , I'm happy to get the Samsung sm951 512 with a pcie connector. The read and write speeds seem amazing ! write @ 1200+ And read@2000+ ... I'm just getting to 140. Questions

Can I make this my main drive to boot from even though the gpu has no efi ?

Is it ok to update to the latest os ?

Or is there other drives you can recommend ?

Note the system is used for video / audio production and editing

Thanks

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

3. Threatnique thread starter macrumors newbie

Threatnique

Thanks , sorry I think I messed up by saying hackingtosh ... or is mine part of that catergory ?
    I just read somewhere that using a ssd as the bootdrive with no efi can be a problem ...

4. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

The bootability of a drive isn't affected by whether or not the GPU has EFI. In fact a Mac Pro can boot without a graphics card present at all.

Sierra definitely will work on a 2009/2010 Mac Pro, but I don't know how people with non-EFI Maxwell cards install OS X without being able to see anything. If suppose if you had a second Mac you could do it there.

5. Threatnique thread starter macrumors newbie

Threatnique

I've

I've still got the original one, so I swap them over when I have to mantience things or update things .... it's so annoying ....