SSD/SATA problem on MBP early 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by T0bra, Mar 15, 2017.

1. T0bra macrumors newbie

T0bra

Hi everyone,

I tried to upgrade my macbook pro (13-inch, Early 2011 - OSX Sierra 10.12.1, all specs below*) with an SSD Crucial MX300. It worked, but at some point (after few weeks) the system started to get stuck. The only way to recover the laptop was to issue an hard reboot each time this happened.

This was fine until the pc was not able to boot anymore. Digging around the forums, it turned out the problem could be related to the SATA cable. So, I changed the cable and the macbook was up and running again! Unfortunately, this lasted for a couple of weeks: the problem appeared again and I have a fleshing folder with a question mark at startup.

I changed the cable once again, but the same drama happened. I bought a cable compatible with my notebook through iFixit.

Now, the only solution I found is to connect the SSD externally from the USB and run the operating system from there. Which is working fine, but it is uncomfortable and obviously slow (like not having the SSD).

Any idea?

Thank you very much in advance.

(*)
    Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 2,3 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B2C
    SMC Version (system): 1.68f99
    Serial Number (system): C02FD3R7DH2L
    Hardware UUID: 00954623-0239-5912-BFA7-C8A82231FDCA

Intel 6 Series Chipset:

Vendor: Intel
    Product: 6 Series Chipset
    Link Speed: 6 Gigabit
    Description: AHCI Version 1.30 Supported

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Could it be a "weak" drive connection port on the motherboard?

I'm sure you've already done this, but...
    ... did you go to the startup disk pref pane, and set the internal drive to be the startup drive?

3. radicsf, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017

radicsf macrumors newbie

radicsf

Hi

I have this exact problem (13inch late 2011 MBP) since I put an Samsung EVO 840 SSD into my laptop.
    I changed the data cable and it solved the problem for a year. But now I have this problem again and yesterday I replaced the cable once again. But didn't solve it. The laptop freezes and a question mark appears on boot. But sometimes it's working. It is total random but mostly not working.
    I tried to change OS (linux) but it didn't help. I thought that maybe my logic board is faulty. I couldn't lost anything so I tried something i've read: took apart the laptop and placed the logic board into a kitchen oven. 180 celsius, 7 minutes. Didn't help.
    I've read sooo much forums and sites and there's no solution. I think I have to replace the SSD with my old HDD. :(

edit: it's not about the startup drive thing. The SSD drive even not appears there so can't select it.

4. T0bra thread starter macrumors newbie

T0bra

What do you mean with drive connection port? Is there something I could do to restore it in case?

Concerning the startup disk pref pane, yes, I did it.

@radicsf: does it work with the old HDD?

5. radicsf macrumors newbie

radicsf

@T0bra : I tried it for a few hours. During that I didn't experienced any freeze or blinking question mark. But it is very slow compared to ssd.

Based on this article it is a common bug:
    http://blog.macsales.com/11895-2011-macbook-pro-sata-problems-resolved

It seems macOS Sierra probably contains the needed EFI update but it didn't solve the problem. At least not for me.

My boot rom and smc is the same as yours:
    Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B2C
    SMC Version (system): 1.68f99

6. T0bra thread starter macrumors newbie

T0bra

I'll try to roll back to the HDD and see if it works.

Btw, for me neither OS Sierra solves the problem.

7. T0bra thread starter macrumors newbie

T0bra

@radicsf I got a suggestion to use the MacBook Pro 13'' Mid 2012 HD cable to solve the issue. I asked for a clarification about why this replacement should solve the problem.

As soon as I get an answer I will post it!

8. radicsf macrumors newbie

radicsf