Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wizjonero

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2017
Hi guys and gals!

Thank you for all the great value you did bring in this topic. It's very helpful and I highly appreciate it.

I am also planning to add a SSD (probalby 128 or 256GB) to my 2011 27" iMac. It is the best possible spec with i7, 16gb of RAM and 2gb graphics. I have a problem with it though as it runs very loudly right now and from what I've read on the Internet, there's a high probability it is because of HDD. So I have three questions.

1) If I install an additional SSD for OS and apps and keep HDD for data, is there a chance it will be quieter?

2) How can I organise things with SSD and HDD? I am using MacOS on daily basis, but sometimes because of work I have to use Windows and I use Windows for gaming too. If I want max speed, I'd need to have both OSes and all apps on SSD. Is there a way to let's say install a game on SSD and then keep the data (like saved games etc) on HDD? I'm sorry if it's newbie question, but I'm not really into fusion drives (at least yet).

3) This is a bit off topic, so I'd understand if you don't answer. Would adding another 16gb of RAM (to make it 32) be any beneficial on daily use? I guess not (as I'm not editing video etc), but maybe I'm wrong!

Thanks for all your help.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Hi guys and gals!

Thank you for all the great value you did bring in this topic. It's very helpful and I highly appreciate it.

I am also planning to add a SSD (probalby 128 or 256GB) to my 2011 27" iMac. It is the best possible spec with i7, 16gb of RAM and 2gb graphics. I have a problem with it though as it runs very loudly right now and from what I've read on the Internet, there's a high probability it is because of HDD. So I have three questions.

1) If I install an additional SSD for OS and apps and keep HDD for data, is there a chance it will be quieter?

2) How can I organise things with SSD and HDD? I am using MacOS on daily basis, but sometimes because of work I have to use Windows and I use Windows for gaming too. If I want max speed, I'd need to have both OSes and all apps on SSD. Is there a way to let's say install a game on SSD and then keep the data (like saved games etc) on HDD? I'm sorry if it's newbie question, but I'm not really into fusion drives (at least yet).

3) This is a bit off topic, so I'd understand if you don't answer. Would adding another 16gb of RAM (to make it 32) be any beneficial on daily use? I guess not (as I'm not editing video etc), but maybe I'm wrong!

Thanks for all your help.
Hi, as for 1, a normal HD, consumes about 30 watts of power, a ssd almost nothing. So, if you don’t use your old HD, the heat is a lot less. So, get a bigger SSD would be my advice, especially when you want Windows and games on it. I put in a 1 GB Samsung Evo in my 2010. The ssd for MacOs, the old HD for Windows. No problem playing games under windows, it only loads longer. You can also split each drive, making a Mac and Windows partition on it. But remember, Windows needs a lot of room, so get a big SSD!

Also, when was your iMac cleaned for the last time? Over the years dust builds up, also on the fan. So when installing your ssd, blow out all the dust!

jt65

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2017
Thailand
I upgraded my 27" 2010 i7 2 months ago with an 850 Evo 1TB. My iMac flies and is very snappy! Also temps are way down, under full load (gaming), it's 20 degrees celsius less, max temp is now 65 degrees celsius. Just add the ssd next to the HD, then you have both and no problems with the temperature sensor on the HD.

Also read the thread of last month, is it worth upgrading a 2010 iMac with an SSD.

Hi, I read your reply and appreciate the info. I am thinking of upgrading my 2011 iMac which has a 1TB drive. Can you explain what you mean by adding the new SSD next to the HD. Can you install a new SSD and leave the old Hard Drive in the iMac? Im not really a Computer Tech guy but like to research what is going to take place with my computer before i give it to the shop to carry out the procedure.
Im looking at purchasing a 1TB SSD. Is Samsung the best brand? Any suggestions on what SSD to use would be much appreciated.

ElCani

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
Hi, I read your reply and appreciate the info. I am thinking of upgrading my 2011 iMac which has a 1TB drive. Can you explain what you mean by adding the new SSD next to the HD. Can you install a new SSD and leave the old Hard Drive in the iMac? Im not really a Computer Tech guy but like to research what is going to take place with my computer before i give it to the shop to carry out the procedure.
Im looking at purchasing a 1TB SSD. Is Samsung the best brand? Any suggestions on what SSD to use would be much appreciated.
On the 2011 27, the SSD goes under the optical drive (mine is stuck to the case with double-sided tape) and the HDD remains in place. I presume the same thing can be done on the 2010.

wizjonero

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2017
Hi, as for 1, a normal HD, consumes about 30 watts of power, a ssd almost nothing. So, if you don’t use your old HD, the heat is a lot less. So, get a bigger SSD would be my advice, especially when you want Windows and games on it. I put in a 1 GB Samsung Evo in my 2010. The ssd for MacOs, the old HD for Windows. No problem playing games under windows, it only loads longer. You can also split each drive, making a Mac and Windows partition on it. But remember, Windows needs a lot of room, so get a big SSD!

Also, when was your iMac cleaned for the last time? Over the years dust builds up, also on the fan. So when installing your ssd, blow out all the dust!

Thank you, Dreadnought! Luckily I'm not gaming a lot and it's mostly old games, on my old MacBook Windows was taking only around 100GB at most. Dang, it's a difficult decision. Keep 3TB HDD and add 256GB SSD, add 1TB SSD, or remove HDD and add 1TB SSD. Anyway, thanks for your help, it's really appreciated.

Actually I just bought it last week, so never opened it, but will do very soon!

Last edited:

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I still want to recommend using an external thunderbolt enclosure ($85) with a thunderbolt 1/2 cable for the 2011 iMac models. It is nearly as fast as an internal install, without the risk of opening the computer up.

Enclosure (Synchotech is the only US distributer for Delock brand equipment):

http://www.synchrotech.com/products...sd-drive-external-enclosure-delock-42510.html

Apple thunderbolt 1/2 cable:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD862LL/A/apple-thunderbolt-cable-05-m

And of course the SSD drive cost.

I have used this setup for a couple of years now, and have been very happy with it.

FYI: If you do decide on an internal install replacing the HDD with a SSD, be sure to get the iMac upgrade kit from OWC to prevent a run away fan issue that occurs due to the new SSD drive not giving the iMac temperature info on the drive, the fans rev up to maximum as a fail safe mechanism.

kanakanaka77

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2020
Not sure if this is still even worth it. I have a 2011 imac still running fine on 4gb memory and 500GB SATA. I use it for Logic Pro X and that's about it. It's handled what I need for a while but it's just getting too slow after upgrading to High Sierra. I picked up an ssd and 32GB of memory, and created a bootable drive for High Sierra. Before I go through the fun of installing it all only one question... Is it still worth it?

Reactions: r6mile

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Not sure if this is still even worth it. I have a 2011 imac still running fine on 4gb memory and 500GB SATA. I use it for Logic Pro X and that's about it. It's handled what I need for a while but it's just getting too slow after upgrading to High Sierra. I picked up an ssd and 32GB of memory, and created a bootable drive for High Sierra. Before I go through the fun of installing it all only one question... Is it still worth it?
I assume you are discussing opening up the iMac and installing it in place of your HDD? It’s debatable given support for High Sierra is about to finish. Have you got the thermal fan control for the SSD? If not the fans will race away and I’m not a big fan (pardon the pun) of using software to solve the issue. It will certainly make the iMac feel much sharper if you do it.

kanakanaka77

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2020
I assume you are discussing opening up the iMac and installing it in place of your HDD? It’s debatable given support for High Sierra is about to finish. Have you got the thermal fan control for the SSD? If not the fans will race away and I’m not a big fan (pardon the pun) of using software to solve the issue. It will certainly make the iMac feel much sharper if you do it.
Yes. Swapping out HDD and memory.
I did get the thermal control as well.
I guess the question I have is would Catalina Or newer work on that old of Mac? If so how would I get it?
thanks

Berenod

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2020
Yes. Swapping out HDD and memory.
I did get the thermal control as well.
I guess the question I have is would Catalina Or newer work on that old of Mac? If so how would I get it?
thanks
Nope, Catalina won't work.

Nothing to do with speed of the machine, it's the graphics card which stops the machine from running anything higher then High Sierra.

That said, nothing wrong with High Sierra apart from not being able to run the latest versions of some softwares (iMovie for example).
For private use, the ending of support is not that big an issue I would say, al lot of users don't use Safari anyway (as a browser it's a risky piece of software to use without security updates), but rather Chrome or Firefox...

The swapping out of the drive is not too hard, follow the guides carefully, there is only one critical moment, when all the screws of your screen is out you"ll have to tilt it carefully out a bit and release the cables, pulling out the screen too far/forcefully van easily damage the cables/connectors.

The rest is easy!

The SSD will make it pretty snappy again, the actual computing won't be faster, but most of the sluggishness in those older machines come from the slow spinning drives!

kanakanaka77

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2020
Nope, Catalina won't work.

Nothing to do with speed of the machine, it's the graphics card which stops the machine from running anything higher then High Sierra.

That said, nothing wrong with High Sierra apart from not being able to run the latest versions of some softwares (iMovie for example).
For private use, the ending of support is not that big an issue I would say, al lot of users don't use Safari anyway (as a browser it's a risky piece of software to use without security updates), but rather Chrome or Firefox...

The swapping out of the drive is not too hard, follow the guides carefully, there is only one critical moment, when all the screws of your screen is out you"ll have to tilt it carefully out a bit and release the cables, pulling out the screen too far/forcefully van easily damage the cables/connectors.

The rest is easy!

The SSD will make it pretty snappy again, the actual computing won't be faster, but most of the sluggishness in those older machines come from the slow spinning drives!
Thanks for the reply. Any thoughts on the DOSDUDE patch so I could install a more recent OSX? Any reason I might want to or avoid?

nquinn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2020
SSD's make a massive difference, but you are talking about a 9 1/2 year old machine. I wouldn't put $500 into it. If the 2011 iMacs are like my macbook, it can't even upgrade past high sierra. Maybe buy 1TB for ~ $100 and offload your larger storage to a USB/firewire drive for now? (obviously 1TB is limiting for video work, but still, this machine should be moved to a cheap spare very soon).

I'd put the remaining $400 towards a new machine. $500 is just way too much to invest into an old machine like this, and the SSD you buy wouldn't even be NVME or PCI 4.0 for the future.

kanakanaka77

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2020
The package
SSD's make a massive difference, but you are talking about a 9 1/2 year old machine. I wouldn't put $500 into it. If the 2011 iMacs are like my macbook, it can't even upgrade past high sierra. Maybe buy 1TB for ~ $100 and offload your larger storage to a USB/firewire drive for now? (obviously 1TB is limiting for video work, but still, this machine should be moved to a cheap spare very soon).

I'd put the remaining $400 towards a new machine. $500 is just way too much to invest into an old machine like this, and the SSD you buy wouldn't even be NVME or PCI 4.0 for the future.
The package I got only cost $250 so, considering I only use this for music (at which I'm not a professional) I figured it was a decent drop to keep it going past covid. Especially since I can't afford a newer model right now.
Thanks for the insight!

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
The package

The package I got only cost $250 so, considering I only use this for music (at which I'm not a professional) I figured it was a decent drop to keep it going past covid. Especially since I can't afford a newer model right now.
Thanks for the insight!
If you read the DosDude caveats you will note that the 2011 iMac can’t use the patch due to the GPU in this model. I know because I have the same model. You will end up with no graphics and no audio even if you can get it to boot. I put an SSD in mine but that was 4 years ago it was worth it then. I would just continue with it for the present as it is.

kanakanaka77

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2020
If you read the DosDude caveats you will note that the 2011 iMac can’t use the patch due to the GPU in this model. I know because I have the same model. You will end up with no graphics and no audio even if you can get it to boot. I put an SSD in mine but that was 4 years ago it was worth it then. I would just continue with it for the present as it is.
Dang... Wish I'd come across this before I bought it. Looks like I'm sending it all back and waiting till I have enough to buy a new one.
Thanks for the input.

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle

I performed the SSD upgrade in January for my 2011 iMac and I use it primarily for Logic Pro X. It can’t run the very latest version of Logic but the version it does run is only 2 or 3 updates old.

After the upgrade, the speed feels like a new machine. I feel like I can keep using it for a few more years, even though it won’t get any more software updates.

USB3foriMac

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2020
Singapore
Dang... Wish I'd come across this before I bought it. Looks like I'm sending it all back and waiting till I have enough to buy a new one.
Thanks for the input.

you can change the GPU to one that is compatible with Catalina. See the GPU thread here:

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
you can change the GPU to one that is compatible with Catalina. See the GPU thread here:
It's a right kerfuffle of a job and often ends in tears with a bricked iMac. Certainly not something I would contemplate doing. Actually I did contemplate it and quickly had a very stern word with myself. :eek:

USB3foriMac

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2020
Singapore
Lankyman.png

Hi Lankyman,
You must have discourages others too often for me to blok you...

I recently put in a K1100M for $20, used the USB Linux boot stick rom the GPU thread to flash the Video BIOS, and BANG! That was all that was needed to get the card going.

kanakanaka77,
Make up your own mind; from what I red here, you can do this with ease.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
View attachment 940829
Hi Lankyman,
You must have discourages others too often for me to blok you...

I recently put in a K1100M for $20, used the USB Linux boot stick rom the GPU thread to flash the Video BIOS, and BANG! That was all that was needed to get the card going.

kanakanaka77,
Make up your own mind; from what I red here, you can do this with ease.
It’s the first time I’ve discussed doing this so not sure what you mean by discouraged others? The problem isn’t installing the software it’s successfully installing the GPU. Glad it worked out for you though.

P.S. is your model the 21.5 inch or 27 inch?

I think this is a pretty honest video on the subject.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.