Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The thread title was a question I asked myself when I first bought the Apple Watch. I couldn’t justify the premium for a metal that doesn’t warrant double the price.

I bought the lighter aluminium and will continue doing so going forward. Just buy what you are happy with. Neither option is superior to the other, it’s all preference.

Reactions: newellj

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Compared to everyone else in the boardroom, the SS probably looks cheap too.

Heck, compared to everyone else in the boardroom, even the Edition or Hermes looks cheap.
[doublepost=1512221154][/doublepost]
The thread title was a question I asked myself when I first bought the Apple Watch. I couldn’t justify the premium for a metal that doesn’t warrant double the price.

I bought the lighter aluminium and will continue doing so going forward. Just buy what you are happy with. Neither option is superior to the other, it’s all preference.

Now this ^^^ is good advice. :) (Meaning, buy what you're happy with, regardless of what I or anyone else here thinks.)

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012

I agree with this totally. Apple’s markup on the SS over the aluminium isn’t worth it. I would prefer it if the only sold an aluminium model with ceramic back and sapphire screen. They have kept the SS model after the initial reveal of trying to market the AW as a fashion item but their marketing has now shifted it as a health and fitness accessory.
It’s time to consolidate the AW into one line.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
That's my main justification for the stainless model, is the Sapphire display. I really don't want to have to look at any scratches on the 42 mm display, and the Sapphire display helps eliminate that issue.

The Aluminum is a soft metal and from what I saw so far any dent in the case mite pup the screen out.
thats the main reason I bought the SS.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Heck, compared to everyone else in the boardroom, even the Edition or Hermes looks cheap.
[doublepost=1512221154][/doublepost]

Now this ^^^ is good advice. :) (Meaning, buy what you're happy with, regardless of what I or anyone else here thinks.)
This is the bottom line. I don’t know why this thread ro
I agree with this totally. Apple’s markup on the SS over the aluminium isn’t worth it. I would prefer it if the only sold an aluminium model with ceramic back and sapphire screen. They have kept the SS model after the initial reveal of trying to market the AW as a fashion item but their marketing has now shifted it as a health and fitness accessory.
i disagree with the one size fits all. I don’t live a sport lifestyle and love all the other features of the watch. I appreciate the diversity of the watch line.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Bought SS for my First apple watch and thought it was a waste for me.. bought Aluminum AW3 and have no regrets.

Get whatever you want, if you plan on wearing it every day then the price difference isn't a big deal if you have to look at it all day every day. But for me, I'm good with saving the $ this time (which I can never say about apple products since I go for the best). :)

Yeah, you also have to remember that the Apple Watch is not something you’re keeping for a lifetime. It’s a piece of tech and will need to be upgraded.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Worth is entirely subjective when you're referring to Apples Mark up. The stainless steel at minimum offers the Sapphire display, which to me is a massive selling point to protect it from scratched or abrasions.

Furhermore, Apple still Markets the Apple Watch for fashion and fitness. And I think they both execute fairly well, because you can customize Apple Watch to any band of your liking and it still serves it's purpose for fitness for any model. There is no consolidation, because the user will decide what they're going to do with the watch in terms of how to utilize it and customization.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
Just chiming in to say that the sport really isn't that fragile. I can't remember how many times I banged my series 1 into doorframes, etc., and I never got a dent or scratch. It didn't even occur to me to get anything other than the Sport for the Series3. I like the gold color. :)

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
My Gold aluminium AW2 is 11 months old with no dents or scratches. I don’t particularly baby the thing either and have knocked it plenty of times. My kids tug on it all the time and it’s even been yanked off my wrist.

I really don’t see the value Apple put on a sapphire crystal display personally. It’s not a hugely expensive material just like 316 stainless steel yet is marketed as premium lol.

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
My Gold aluminium AW2 is 11 months old with no dents or scratches. I don’t particularly baby the thing either and have knocked it plenty of times. My kids tug on it all the time and it’s even been yanked off my wrist.

I really don’t see the value Apple put on a sapphire crystal display personally. It’s not a hugely expensive material just like 316 stainless steel yet is marketed as premium lol.
It’s a shame Apple do this and it’s why we have the aluminium model which is still a little over-priced. But because of their AW pricing model and marketing, they have the SS model at the price it is at.
I can’t see myself buying another AW simply because of its pricing model, they’re becoming more expensive than they need to be. Even the repair prices are becoming a joke.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Worth is entirely subjective when you're referring to Apples Mark up. The stainless steel at minimum offers the Sapphire display, which to me is a massive selling point to protect it from scratched or abrasions.

Furhermore, Apple still Markets the Apple Watch for fashion and fitness. And I think they both execute fairly well, because you can customize Apple Watch to any band of your liking and it still serves it's purpose for fitness for any model. There is no consolidation, because the user will decide what they're going to do with the watch in terms of how to utilize it and customization.

There's another way of looking at it, though. Sport + AC+ is a lot cheaper and for the frankly limited life of the watch (three years for most people, maximum?) is going to take care of the display issues for less money.

I agree about the range. Different models for different wishes and tastes. I'd love to read more about why people buy the ceramic model. It doesn't seem to have as many passionate supporters (maybe it simply costs too much).

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2008
If it was a real watch lasting a lifetime buy the best that you want, Apple Watch is just throw away junk at the end of a few years. Buy the cheapest to do the job, no one is going to admire an Apple watch like they would a good automatic.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
Yeah, you also have to remember that the Apple Watch is not something you’re keeping for a lifetime. It’s a piece of tech and will need to be upgraded.

You have a point I think I will have to buy every year a new one, maybe just lease it from apple if they have this option

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
There's another way of looking at it, though. Sport + AC+ is a lot cheaper and for the frankly limited life of the watch (three years for most people, maximum?) is going to take care of the display issues for less money.

I agree about the range. Different models for different wishes and tastes. I'd love to read more about why people buy the ceramic model. It doesn't seem to have as many passionate supporters (maybe it simply costs too much).
It is too expensive and appeals to a very limited number of people. I personally find them unappealing due to the colors offered. The white is too bold and the gray too boring.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
It is too expensive and appeals to a very limited number of people. I personally find them unappealing due to the colors offered. The white is too bold and the gray too boring.

You would think Apple would offer brushed stainless in addition to highly polished stainless. It would show wear less and look less like bling. Possibly they thought it wouldn't be different enough from the silver aluminum model.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
You would think Apple would offer brushed stainless in addition to highly polished stainless. It would show wear less and look less like bling. Possibly they thought it wouldn't be different enough from the silver aluminum model.
Brushed stainless would look too much like the aluminum.

Reactions: ersan191

LaurieAnn

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
I wish I would have bought the stainless steel instead of my gold aluminum AW. Look at this ugly scratch across my screen and it was only 3 months old. I babied this thing too and don't remember how the scratch got there. It's not even a year old yet and I want to buy another but in stainless steel for my birthday this month. I just can't justify the purchase right now and who is going to want to buy a used AW with a very noticeable scratch?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    536.4 KB · Views: 324

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
If it was a real watch lasting a lifetime buy the best that you want, Apple Watch is just throw away junk at the end of a few years. Buy the cheapest to do the job, no one is going to admire an Apple watch like they would a good automatic.
It’s not about impressing others. It’s about pleasing myself. I had my series 0 for 2.5 yrs. I will have my series 3 SS for at least as long. I wear it everyday and want to be delighted every time I look at it.

Reactions: wchigo

ksnell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
Who would buy a SS? That's your question? Someone who values things differently than you? You have your opinions and things that make a decision one way or the other for you. Good. Enjoy it. Be happy in what you have. But no need to start a whole thread on who would buy a SS? As if whoever would is so dumb, according to your personal value system. There are plenty who have. Apple sells a lot of them. That doesn't make them all a shade dumber than you. Please.

I think it is a valid question. The person bought both and is comparing them side by side. This could be constructive to someone else who is weighing which model they want. Honestly you come off as triggered...over someone's thoughts on a watch.

Reactions: shr631

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I wish I would have bought the stainless steel instead of my gold aluminum AW. Look at this ugly scratch across my screen and it was only 3 months old. I babied this thing too and don't remember how the scratch got there. It's not even a year old yet and I want to buy another but in stainless steel for my birthday this month. I just can't justify the purchase right now and who is going to want to buy a used AW with a very noticeable scratch?

I remember your post when you scratched your Apple Watch and you purchased a screen protector to hide it. You would be surprised, somebody will purchase your Apple Watch with the scratch on the display. If you price it appropriately, you may not accrue what you would want in mint condition, but somebody will buy it off of you slightly damaged. I would suggest Swappa.

mizzourah

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I think it is a valid question. The person bought both and is comparing them side by side. This could be constructive to someone else who is weighing which model they want. Honestly you come off as triggered...over someone's thoughts on a watch.

Not me who is triggered - maybe you. It's not a valid question to ask as if someone made a mistake buying one which is how it was asked if you read. Nice try...but you can move along.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada

If having stylus capability on an iPad, or a touchbar on a laptop are considered Pro products, it’s not surprising that Apple markets SS as premium.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
If having stylus capability on an iPad, or a touchbar on a laptop are considered Pro products, it’s not surprising that Apple markets SS as premium.
Very true. Apple have become kings of the marketing buzz word with an enviable knack for convincing the consumer a minor upgrade or standard material is something very special.

As a design engineer myself I design using mostly metals and appreciate certain metals cost more than others. It varies by the day and may company monitor stock prices accordingly for steel and aluminium. With machining processes being the same apart from slight differences in time with harder metals like stainless 316, and the raw material not costing twice as much, I realise it’s a hefty markup. I would imagine it’s pleasing for Apple though as long as enough are sold. I see mostly aluminium AW’s in the wild though but that’s not saying much as they seem quite rare in my part of the world. I get asked about mine a lot lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.