Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
I’ve decided today to sell my AW S3 GPS & Cellular Aluminium simply because I’d dont like the direction Apple are going with it.
£399 is far to much for the materials used, aluminium and the Ion-X Glass are not durable enough for something on my wrist. It shows a total disregard from Apple for their customers.
Also you’re basically forced to buy AC+ because of the exorbitant repair prices and suddenly that £459 becomes a bitter pill to swallow.
I now hope that the Apple Watch fails for Apple.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
The problem is that the new Apple Watch series 3 only offers the SS w GPS AND CELLULAR. As a result, the starting price for a 42mm one is $650!

Furthermore and unlike the iPhone, has anyone else noticed how much the AW depreciates over the year?? It is insane!
I bought my SS because, that’s what appeals to me with its upgraded materials I think it’s worth it. I have the $ to pay for it. Resale is not a consideration.

BaddAdvice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2016
I bought my SS because, that’s what appeals to me with its upgraded materials I think it’s worth it. I have the $ to pay for it. Resale is not a consideration.
Speaking of resale (or lack thereof), I'm interested as to why the AW does so horribly in this regard. I think I sold my two older AWs for 50% (at best) of what I bought them for. I've sold tons of watches in the past and none of them took the hit my AWs did. Thoughts?

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
The problem is that the new Apple Watch series 3 only offers the SS w GPS AND CELLULAR. As a result, the starting price for a 42mm one is $650!

Here in Canada, one of the two cell provider monopolies (Rogers), isn't even on board with LTE for the AW.

In some ways, that's helped my decision in going aluminum and saved me money.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Speaking of resale (or lack thereof), I'm interested as to why the AW does so horribly in this regard. I think I sold my two older AWs for 50% (at best) of what I bought them for. I've sold tons of watches in the past and none of them took the hit my AWs did. Thoughts?
I think one reason is it is a niche product with low demand.
[doublepost=1512841134][/doublepost]
I’ve decided today to sell my AW S3 GPS & Cellular Aluminium simply because I’d dont like the direction Apple are going with it.
£399 is far to much for the materials used, aluminium and the Ion-X Glass are not durable enough for something on my wrist. It shows a total disregard from Apple for their customers.
Also you’re basically forced to buy AC+ because of the exorbitant repair prices and suddenly that £459 becomes a bitter pill to swallow.
Welcome to Apple. Apples product pricing and repair costs are ridiculously high but, enough people think apple products and eco system is worth it.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005

show me a watch, any watch in the $329-369 price range that has the feature set and yes, build quality of the Apple Watch. you may not like aluminum or ion-x glass but the competitors in that price range are WORSE, with plastic bodies and sometimes even plastic screens. never mind they don't come close in functionality, processor, feature set etc.

if you don't like the apple watch that is fine, if you think watches at $350 should be build better that is fine too... but right now Apple isn't showing a disregard for anyone because in that price range vs. their competitors they are better in every way. I wish my SBSS AW3 was $60 instead of $600 but there are realities we have to face.

PS: the high repair costs for the apple watch are due to the fact in order to fit the technology into the tiny package of the AW they are essentially unrepairable and any "fix" for your watch results in apple essentially giving you a new one. not saying i agree with that design philosophy but the alternative is a bigger & less attractive watch OR less technology.

Last edited:

charlyee

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2011
Wisconsin
Here in Canada, one of the two cell provider monopolies (Rogers), isn't even on board with LTE for the AW.

In some ways, that's helped my decision in going aluminum and saved me money.

I go to south and se Asia and was all excited about the LTE, thinking I could leave my phone back at the hotel and just wear the watch when I am out and about.

Then I find out that the LTE will not work with most overseas providers, so that my decision as well to go with the aluminum. Maybe next version will have more LTE band support and I can re visit the issue.

On a personal note, I have the matt black 7 plus but I don’t like the looks of the black/sg watch in either material. I like the shiny ss even less, so I am happy with white/silver aluminum.

Last edited:

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005

the apple watch is still in its infancy and its value lies in its technology which is getting replaced every 12 months at this point. because of that the apple watch value plunges dramatically every year when the new models arrive.

mechanical and quartz watches are jewelry that serve but a single task, timekeeping, and that never changes so their value doesn't change either.

Reactions: DoubleFlyaway

Sanlitun

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
The stainless watches have a different look than the aluminum models. In particular the black stainless looks like a single lozenge of black glass and I love the look. See:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

The Apple Watch is a piece of Technology that is superseded by a new model likely less than 18 months, and technology itself, does not hold value such as mechanical watch would. So it's nothing really to do just with the Apple Watch, it's the fact that it's just A smart watch that depreciates because it's a commodity, not an investment. But the same applies to a laptop, and expensive TV, just about anything tech related Drops significantly in value because it is on a consistent upgrade cycle by something newer.

Last edited:
Reactions: AppleKarma

BaddAdvice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2016
the apple watch is still in its infancy and its value lies in its technology which is getting replaced every 12 months at this point. because of that the apple watch value plunges dramatically every year when the new models arrive.

mechanical and quartz watches are jewelry that serve but a single task, timekeeping, and that never changes so their value doesn't change either.
Fair point.
[doublepost=1512845933][/doublepost]
The Apple Watch is a piece of Technology that is superseded by a new model likely less than 18 months, and technology itself, does not hold value such as mechanical watch would. So it's nothing really to do just with the Apple Watch, it's the fact that it's just A smart watch that depreciates because it's a commodity, not an investment. But the same applies to a laptop, and expensive TV, just about anything tech related Drops significantly in value because it is on a consistent upgrade cycle by something newer.
Fair point, part 2!

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
If you want to buy a watch as an investment then don't buy an Apple Watch. Guaranteed in a couple of years you will have lost your money, just the same as buying expensive phones.

I bought the SS version of the first Apple Watch, and don't regret it. I don't expect it to be worth much though. When a new version comes out which is signifantly better, I'll probably buy the same again.

Mikeeee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Well this thread and a couple of others like this pushed me in a new direction. The fear of "The Scratch" was too much for me. LOL

Just got back from the Apple Store. Took back my Nike + and upgraded to the SS Milanese. This watch is stunning IMHO.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Well this thread and a couple of others like this pushed me in a new direction. The fear of "The Scratch" was too much for me. LOL

Just got back from the Apple Store. Took back my Nike + and upgraded to the SS Milanese. This watch is stunning IMHO.
Congrats. You will be delighted every time you look at it and will have the piece of mind that it is less likely to incur damage.

Srbell67

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2010

Couldn’t you just buy 2 Nike watches for the price of one Milanese?

Reactions: DoubleFlyaway

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
aluminium and the Ion-X Glass are not durable enough for something on my wrist. It shows a total disregard from Apple for their customers.

Many would disagree with you on this. There are hundreds of posts on the Apple Watch forum of others attesting to how durable the aluminum and Ion-X Glass is. You're not providing any examples of why you think it's not durable, but it's the same aluminum that Apple uses on the iPhone 6s/7, and is excellent against corrosion and scratches. The Ion-X Glass is almost the same type of glass used on the iPhone, which is highly durable.

Also you’re basically forced to buy AC+ because of the exorbitant repair prices and suddenly that £459 .

That's incorrect. Apple doesn't force anybody to purchase AppleCare, it's strictly an option for those who feel the need for it. Also, if the Apple Watch Series 3 was priced too high for you, you could easily have opted for a Series 2Series 1 that is priced significantly cheaper and still provide a lot of the same functionality.

Not going to happen. It's the number one selling smart watch in the world next to best-selling smart phone the world, which is the iPhone. Success of the Apple Watch has grown exponentially since it's launch back in April 2015, and has only grown since.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Why would you hope for anything to fail? Very stupid. Apple Watch definitely won't fail, if anything it is growing and will continue growing. If you don't like, don't buy it.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
I bought the SS with the leather band and returned it because I couldn’t justify the $400 premium.

Every day I look at my space gray aluminum and pine for SS....

Technically the SS is better will last longer that the reason I bought cost me $849 and I have problem with my decision
it's way too expensive and I know that next year a newer and better will come out, so for one year I believe that the cheapest one that have the figures that you like will be the way to go

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2006
For the price of a steak you could buy a box of Slim Jims! Or a used first generation Fitbit.

Never hope for anything to fail. Bad juju.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado

Furthermore and unlike the iPhone, has anyone else noticed how much the AW depreciates over the year?? It is insane!
It is insane. I bought a ceramic edition series 2 in March, not even a year ago and I can't even sell it for $700. Not one bite on Craigslist. I decided with that much loss, I might as well keep the thing.

I am kind of tempted to but the SS Series 3 though. I already have two Series 3 watches, each being different cases so a SS would be even more different. I like switching up my watches and still have all of my series 2 watches. Plus, when one needs charging, I just put on another and charge the one.

I grew up when watches were always worn and there are times I miss those old mechanical watches. Even bought several 70s and early 80s watches on eBay about 5 years ago that still work today.

If I do order a SS watch, I'll order it on Apples site and do the two hour delivery. I got some deciding to do.

Srbell67

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2010
It is insane. I bought a ceramic edition series 2 in March, not even a year ago and I can't even sell it for $700. Not one bite on Craigslist. I decided with that much loss, I might as well keep the thing.

I am kind of tempted to but the SS Series 3 though. I already have two Series 3 watches, each being different cases so a SS would be even more different. I like switching up my watches and still have all of my series 2 watches. Plus, when one needs charging, I just put on another and charge the one.

I grew up when watches were always worn and there are times I miss those old mechanical watches. Even bought several 70s and early 80s watches on eBay about 5 years ago that still work today.

If I do order a SS watch, I'll order it on Apples site and do the two hour delivery. I got some deciding to do.

And then take another huge loss on the new SS one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.