Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Forbes takes rumor mongering to a new level by sending a reporter out to the West Coast Distribution center of Quanta Computers -- Apple's contract manufacturer.

Inspired by an earlier report from ImportGenius that quantities of new Apple products have been arriving at Quanta, Brian Caulfield set out to find out first hand. The end result was somewhat disappointing. Caulfield did see stacks of iMacs sitting in one parking lot at the facility, as well as stacks of plain brown boxes. These boxes may or may not have anything to do with Apple, of course:

181730-iphone_03.jpg

When Caulfield asked about the iPhone, he was unable to get much of a response:
Are the new iPhones inside? "No, no," he said, before flashing a grin and heading back into the building. "If so, I'm not at liberty to discuss it."

Article Link

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
This 3g iPhone rumor crap is getting out of control. Seriously.

As a side note, they usually leave hundreds of iMacs sitting in their parking lot? Where was this business located again?? :D ;)

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

akonradi said:
As a side note, they usually leave hundreds of iMacs sitting in their parking lot? Where was this business located again?? :D ;)
If you actually read the captions, it says that the warehouse is full due to the new product.

yeah... Who's going to worry about stealing an iMac in a parking lot when there are 3G iPhones to get

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
If enough of us get together we can trample through there with all our apple fanboy power and just see for ourselves.

They don't have enough security to stop us...and we can just grab a new iPhone and an iMac on the way out.

RST

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2007
am i excited for monday? yes. does apple generally disappoint me? no. is random and non-news really even worth reading? nope.

this is...interesting, but wtf? iphone news is getting out of control.

edit: /rant. needed to get that off my chest. dont mean to start any arguments.

applemumba

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Seems like apple has done a good job keeping the 3G under cover considering the lengths people are going to get the scoop.

If Jobs pulls out a 3G iPhone and then also says these are shipping now he would have done a great job keeping them from coming out. Yes we have seen rumors but nothing confirmed and none in real world situation. If someone had one and released pic's you'd think they would want them to be the best they can and also have a fair few off them.

I applaud apple for managing to keep such tight security on their product launchs. When you think of how many people would be involved in the production of theses.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Only a matter of time...

It's only a matter of time before someone starts camping out there with sonar imaging , infrared and or x ray equipment. :D

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Whatever iPhone version it is, it will be shipping on Monday. The lack of inventory at ATT/AAPL stores proves this.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Why would anyone put a stack of anything electronic outside in a parking lot? I mean is rain or sunlight just not a concern?

macaddiict

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2005
Albuquerque, NM
Too funny that the reporter plays up "not knowing" what is in those brown boxes. Obviously he's never ordered an iMac for delivery, because -get this- they come in an unmarked brown box just slightly bigger than the white retail box! Whoooa!

But yeah, its weird they'd have any electronics at all outside... I would definitely at least drive by if I were in the neighborhood :)

javaGuru

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
If these are indeed 3G iPhones and Apple intends on releasing them to the public on Monday shouldn't they be heading out to the stores right about now? Of coarse this is assuming Apple intends on releasing them this coming Monday. A good indication as to when Apple intends to release them to the public would be when this warehouse starts shipping to local Apple retail stores etc.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
The ones on the right look like the brown shipping boxes we get the iMacs in.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
Hopeful

as much as I would like to believe that (I'm getting one next week), there is such a thing as "bulk packaging" :p

Nothing like being hopeful, huh? I have a feeling that something will happen with notebook line in addition to the iPhone. I with the two new VPs and the dual bridge poster thing, I expect (keep in mind I'm new at this) that there will be at least ...something... done with the notebooks. I also don't think the MBP was affected by the centrino delay. So that's my thinking.

I'd be happy to hear why it's flawed. :cool:

javaGuru

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
Why has no one commented on the stacks of white boxes on the far left?

The iBox comes in two colors: brown and white!

If the new iPhones are in any of those boxes left outside to the elements I will NOT be buying one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.