Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During the F8 Facebook Developer Conference this morning, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced the launch of the Oculus Go, the latest virtual reality headset from Oculus, which is owned by Facebook.

Priced at $199, the Oculus Go is Oculus' first standalone VR headset, which Zuckerberg said represents the "first really affordable standalone virtual reality headset."

oculusgo-800x552.jpg

It's shipping with more than 1,000 apps, and it features the "highest quality lenses and optics" that Oculus has ever built into a VR device. Given its affordable price point, Zuckerberg says that it'll be the "easiest way to get into VR," and that the company expects this is how many people will experience virtual reality for the first time.

Design wise, the Oculus Go looks similar to the Oculus Rift. It's a VR headset that fits over the eyes and attaches to the head with adjustable straps and breathable fabrics. It is a standalone device, which means it does not require a connection to a computer or a gaming system to operate.

oculusgoon.jpg

Oculus Go features a 5.5-inch display with a 2560 x 1440 resolution (1280 x 1140 per eye) and it runs using Qualcomm's Snapdragon 821 processor.

There are spatial audio drivers built into the headset to provide immersive sound, but it also includes a 3.5mm headphone jack to allow users to connect headphones if desired. The included controller translates natural movements into VR using a touch surface and a trigger button.

In a review, The Verge said that while the Oculus Go is not the "flashiest or most high-tech" headset on the market, it's the "best that simple mobile VR has ever been."

The Oculus Go does not feature a full motion controller or inside-outside tracking to allow users to walk around rooms sans external cameras, and it can be likened to the Samsung Gear VR but as a dedicated piece of hardware. Looking through the Oculus Go "isn't that different" than using a Gear VR, says The Verge, and the app library is similar.
The Oculus Go makes improvements to the Gear VR, but its biggest achievement is just making mobile VR content easier to access. It's a reasonably priced device that doesn't require having a specific phone, doesn't force you to clumsily lock that phone into another piece of hardware, and doesn't drain the battery that you might need for more important tasks. And as long as VR is still a labor of love, anything that reduces the "labor" factor is great news.
In other virtual reality news, Zuckerberg says Facebook is working on a new feature that would allow customers to recreate their childhood homes using computer vision and referencing old photographs. Facebook plans to work on mapping out immersive spaces and "creating a real feeling of presence.

oculusgo2.jpg

Later this month, Oculus will also launch Oculus TV, allowing Oculus Go users to watch entertainment from services like Hulu, ESPN, Showtime, and more.

The Oculus Go can be purchased today from the Oculus website or from Amazon for $199 for 32GB of storage. 64GB of storage is available for $249.

The launch of the Oculus Go comes just days after rumors suggesting Apple is working on its own high-powered virtual and augmented reality headset that would be untethered from a smartphone or a traditional computer.

Apple's device will reportedly include 8K displays and a custom Apple-designed processor that's more powerful than anything currently available. Apple is said to be aiming to launch its AR/VR product in 2020.

Article Link: Standalone VR Headset 'Oculus Go' Now Available for Purchase for $199

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
this is frustrating right now. Thereis' either the mobile based headsets like this Occulus unit, or the phone based units.

or there's over the top expensive computer ones that come full roomscale.

what I want is an "in between". a headset capable of desktop gaming, but without the additional fluff of roomscale and controllers. The games I play are sit-down in chair games with their own controllers (Steering wheel / HOTAS. The low end phone based ones have way too much lag to use with RiftCat for these games. But the high end ones (Vive/Rift) are ridiculously expensive still

where are the $299 PC based units people!?

Reactions: Yvan256

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2014
It's powerful enough, but any one who has used VR will know, without full tracking... VR sucks. This thing can handle stuff like Job Simulator or Rec Room , the surprising thing is your brain buys into that, you do not need photo realistic graphics. However after getting a Rift, I realised you need full tracking, it's what immerses you and transforms VR into something good.

Reactions: mw360 and syntax

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I see the appeal with virtual reality for some, but I have absolutely zero desire to want to have that Apparatus strapped to my head.

lol.... better design than Microsoft's one at least.... This one would be more comfortable, but they still have to reduce them to smaller footprint like Google's Glasses size (minus the bit covering your eye)

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
this is frustrating right now. Thereis' either the mobile based headsets like this Occulus unit, or the phone based units.

what I want is an "in between". a headset capable of desktop gaming, but without the additional fluff of roomscale and controllers. The games I play are sit-down in chair games with their own controllers (Steering wheel / HOTAS. The low end phone based ones have way too much lag to use with RiftCat for these games. But the high end ones (Vive/Rift) are ridiculously expensive still

The price of the Oculus PC unit is actually pretty good, CA$529.99. You'll need a third sensor for reliable room scale tracking, which is another $79 - but thats optional. You can get away with 2, but I found tracking a bit jittery in a few places.

Where is the $299 unit? Probably can't be done yet.

I'm loving my Oculus. Excellent value for money, IMO.

Reactions: evoga

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I've said it before: VR will remain a niche product as long as people have to wear those awkwardly bulky goggles.

There's no real alternative. the point of the "goggles" isn't JUST the display, ti's also to block out external light sources and does create a more imersive experience.

it really comes down to how unobtrusive the headset can be. lightest weight and easiest comfort.

Reactions: bchreng and Yvan256

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
The price of the Oculus PC unit is actually pretty good, CA$529.99. You'll need a third sensor for reliable room scale tracking, which is another $79 - but thats optional.

yeah, that $530 is better than original price of $1200+. But still outside of what i'm willing to spend. I don't want/need any of that room scale stuff. I just want the headset.

I play mostly Elite Dangerous. in VR it's one of the most immersive experiences gaming I have ever had

I've tried playing it using my GearVR and RiftCat. it works, but I get head issues with it after about 20 minutes due to the wireless lag. I just want a simple headset, wired that'll let me play Projekt Cars or Elite Dangerous.

Reactions: Yvan256

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2014
The price of the Oculus PC unit is actually pretty good, CA$529.99. You'll need a third sensor for reliable room scale tracking, which is another $79 - but thats optional.

Yeh and this GO headset actually is an improvement over the Rift, slightly higher res, slightly more pixel dense and it's not pentile which is great. So if you watch video it'll be better than a Rift... but still I wouldn't want to as it's still not good enough.

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2014
yeah, that $530 is better than original price of $1200+. But still outside of what i'm willing to spend. I don't want/need any of that room scale stuff. I just want the headset.

I play mostly Elite Dangerous. in VR it's one of the most immersive experiences gaming I have ever had

I've tried playing it using my GearVR and RiftCat. it works, but I get head issues with it after about 20 minutes due to the wireless lag. I just want a simple headset, wired that'll let me play Projekt Cars or Elite Dangerous.

I'd disagree, Roomscale is what makes VR, without it I'd rather just play games looking at a TV. The immersion comes with feeling like you're there, you just cannot get that without Roomscale.

Reactions: Garsun

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Yeh and this GO headset actually is an improvement over the Rift, slightly higher res, slightly more pixel dense and it's not pentile which is great. So if you watch video it'll be better than a Rift... but still I wouldn't want to as it's still not good enough.

But its a standalone unit, you can't attach it to a PC - so for me, this Go headset is a no go.

If you need a standalone unit, it could be for you.

Next year, Rift 2 will be coming out. Hopefully with a far higher resolution.

dabocx

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2018

There are a few units from Dell/Lenovo/HP that can be bought for 200-300 when on sale.

Some come bundled with windows desktops and are resold on eBay. The higher end OLED Samsung odyssey is the one I want but its still 400 at best.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Doesn't require a connection to a computer. how do you input information into it? I don't see a keyboard. Is it only for watching streaming TV? What does it do?

dabocx

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2018
Doesn't require a connection to a computer. how do you input information into it? I don't see a keyboard. Is it only for watching streaming TV? What does it do?
It has built in WI-FI, there is a store with games and apps. Watching videos and playing games are probably the main selling point.

Reactions: adamjackson

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada

Its a standalone unit - hence the onboard RAM. No computer required.

There's a remote you can use. The desktop VR environment has a virtual keyboard so wouldn't be surprised if the GO has a virtual keyboard too.

Reactions: adamjackson

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I’m guessing this does not play pc type games at all? You can only choose from the available apps they have included?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.