Star Trek Beyond - Trailer (2016)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SandboxGeneral, Dec 14, 2015.

1. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Looks like a new Star Trek film coming next year! I didn't even know they were working on one either. I just saw this YouTube trailer for it.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

3. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Looks interesting. My guess was the music was added to lower expectations. :p

4. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Simon Pegg cowrote it. Looking forward to it!

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

6. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Into darkness is on before the season finale of Fargo. Good night.

7. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

8. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Well he does have the time to post to social media.

9. Savor Suspended

Savor

I will watch it mainly because ever since the Star Trek 2009 reboot by JJ Abrams, it actually has style, interesting action scenes, higher production values, and likeable characters ranging from the seven inside the U.S.S. Enterprise. I really do like Chris Pine's Kirk. There is a planned 4th installment after Beyond too. This is one of those FOREVER franchises like Star Wars, James Bond, and MCU, that will still be around forever long after we are all dead.

I saw the first one again just last night. And I did like Into Darkness. To hell what Wil Weaton thinks. Rather watch a generic science fiction action movie all dressed up in Star Trek costumes than watch several generic, BLAND, science fiction TV shows all dressed up in Star Trek costumes where Trekkers are bigger dorks than Star Wars nerds.

I could care less being preached about human relationships and philosophies. I can go to Mass every Sunday for that. Star Trek to me before the 2009 reboot was like Apple in the 1990's. Steve Jobs would go, where is the SEX (appeal)? Bland and boring. Purists criticize the new Star Trek like an underground band that sold out and went mainstream.

10. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I know some people crap on the newer Star Trek movies, and Star Wars too, but, for me, I view them for what they are, entertainment. I don't really know what a purist Trekkie expects out of the contemporary films to be honest.

I just like them because I love science fiction, outer space, adventures, and the idea of intergalactic travel. The characters in the films always bring life to the stories and it's fun to see the new interpretations of them from new directors and actors.

11. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

When I saw the first reboot of Star Trek, I left thinking it was "okay" and decided it didn't meet my standards. Later, I decided to watch it again and came out thoroughly pleased. For those of us who went through all the previous Star Trek shows (and movies), it takes some of us a jump start to simply let go and move forward with this reboot. I'll just say I am looking forward to this next installment.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Looks good. I've enjoyed the reboots, hope they keep coming.

13. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

HERESY!!!!

Just kidding looks like it might be good.

14. Huntn, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'll argue ( in a friendly way) :) that Star Wars Episodes I-III were substandard entertainment based on personal opinion and what preceded them.

The Star Trek reboot movies are superior in all most every way as compared to any of the Star Trek movies before them. This opinion comes from someone who feels the Star Trek tv shows told better stories in their limited time frame (as compared to the movies), but not all StarvTrek series. I reserve this judgement for the original Star Trek and STNG. The other two- Voyagerr and Enterprise were weak IMO.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I watched the trailer and its oh look, the enterprise is destroyed again - what a shock. I was definitely underwhelmed by the trailer.

The reboot hasn't grabbed me, the last movie was such a clear copy of the wrath of Kahn that it was embarrassing.

I mean they rebooted the whole series so they could take Star Trek into new directions and story lines, and what did they do? Copy the Wrath of Kahn.

So far this trailer didn't do anything to help convince me to see the movie.

16. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Couldn't disagree more. At its core, the essence of Star Trek is that humanity united in a way that nobody thought possible, once we realised we weren't alone in the universe. It's about what it is to be human, nature vs nuture, how people deal with revenge, and what motivates people. It's about discovering new life, new civilisations, as explorers rather than warmongers. All Star Trek films had this, even less revered ones like Nemesis. And even the action-packed Wrath of Khan/First Contact are infinitely more thoughtful than the reboots.

The new films dumbed down everything to a cheap action flick. OTT fights, tenuous plots, and characters which were a harsh injustice to the originals. Spock in the new films is simply a human with pointy ears. There's nothing about his acting or character that screams 'Vulcan'.

You enjoy the new films because they've done away with the philosophical element, and changed it into a fun-to-watch film. However that act has, for many, tainted what Star Trek meant to them. It's destroyed why they were a fan of the franchise in the first place. To imply that ST purists are 'hipsters' because their expectations for a ST film goes beyond a dumb explosion-fest is ludicrious, and frankly a little ignorant.

Not to say they're bad films - but they're not Star Trek.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

I would say that many of those that were Star Trek fans before the reboot movies would say that while quite a few of them could certainly have been better, various ones like Star Trek IV and Star Trek First Contact (and many would add Star Trek II and Star Trek VI) are seen as great and better than the new reboots.

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Star trek looks... just okay. Its like Star Trek Hijinx. but i'll see it anyway.

Of course I'm more excited for Independence Day Resurgence

19. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Heh, I just typed almost exactly the same thing elsewhere.

I've lived through, and enjoyed, all the Star Trekses. Personally I prefer the livelier series, such as DS9 and Enterprise, to the ones where they spend entire episodes agonising over a little bending of the Prime Directive. But judging by the trailer it appears this is basically a space-based action blockbuster which just happens to use a Star Fleet back story.

(But it will still be infinitely better than any of Star Wars I-thu-IX, obviously.)

20. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

If someone superimposed the heads of the characters of Guardians of the Galaxy, I would totally have believed it to be the sequel of that film.

21. phrehdd, Dec 15, 2015

phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

You folks provide plenty of interesting views and points about the entire ST family of shows, characters and story lines.

I'll just say I have great appreciation for how S.T. has managed to be around so long, provide entertainment, thought and became a main stay of American Sci-Fi. Gene certainly made a tremendous contribution and impact that continues on.

We could certainly fill up an entire new thread with our likes and dislikes about the franchise. So I'll just hold off until someone creates one.

22. Huntn, Dec 15, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I had no clue (regarding IDR), fingers crossed this is decent, bringing something new to the story.

A forum title search turned up 25 threads with Star Trek in the title, including a new tv show for 2017. :)

23. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Saw the trailer for that as well as the article Gizmodo put up for that. A bit of a cop out on the reasoning behind Will Smith's absence from the movie.

BL.

24. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

I'm sure I'll catch it somewhere along the way. I liked the reboot a lot. Still wish Chris Pine was in Star Wars too (along with Sebastian Stan. :))

25. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Yeah I know! **By the way, Capt. Hiller was killed in a plane crash** also the producers couldn't afford to cast him.

"Welcome to URF" has now jumped the shark lol.