Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
I'm still fairly certain that there's nothing to say that it still wouldn't turn out extremely close to the original Star Trek timeline. At the end of this movie, Vulans have already found a suitable planet to recolonize making it very easy for this Vulcan to take the place of Vulcan in later episodes/movies. His mother wouldn't be around in Star Trek IV though... To me, that is the biggest change we would see.

But vulcan is still there in every other star trek series and movie.

ZeroCorpse

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2008
Okemos, MI
I'm still fairly certain that there's nothing to say that it still wouldn't turn out extremely close to the original Star Trek timeline. At the end of this movie, Vulans have already found a suitable planet to recolonize making it very easy for this Vulcan to take the place of Vulcan in later episodes/movies. His mother wouldn't be around in Star Trek IV though... To me, that is the biggest change we would see.

So much will change!!!

For example:

* Pike will likely never end up maimed.
* The Botany Bay will likely never be found now; It's just floating in space. Khan and his people will die quietly, instead of being sent to Ceti Alpha V.
* The encounter with the Tholians is unlikely-- We may see more cooperation with them in the future.
* Vger will not be a challenge now. Spock Prime knows how to deal with it, and will likely advise them to save time.
* Likewise the "whale ship" -- Spock Prime will probably quietly make sure that there are whales on Earth (somehow) prior to its arrival.
* Clearly the Klingons already have cloaking technology-- Years ahead of the prior timeline.
* With fewer Vulcans, other species may become more dominant in the Federation and Starfleet. Andorians, maybe?
* As the mentioned them in the movie, it seems that Cardassians are already involved with the Federation in some way, or at least have made first contact.
* Genesis may never be developed now, as Kirk may never bear a son that grows up to be a brilliant scientist who helps develop it.
* Even if it is developed, Genesis will likely never be stolen and used, as Khan will probably be dead in space by that time.
* Sybok is very likely dead with most other Vulcans, thus the events of Star Trek V won't happen.
* With Spock Prime around, we may see peace brokered with the Romulans this time around.
* Enterprise may not get destroyed as early this time, thus by the era of the Next Generation, that crew may only on Enterprise B or Enterprise C... Or they may end up with Enterprise J by that point.

And so on.

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
So much will change!!!

For example:

* Pike will likely never end up maimed.
* The Botany Bay will likely never be found now; It's just floating in space. Khan and his people will die quietly, instead of being sent to Ceti Alpha V.
* The encounter with the Tholians is unlikely-- We may see more cooperation with them in the future.
* Vger will not be a challenge now. Spock Prime knows how to deal with it, and will likely advise them to save time.
* Likewise the "whale ship" -- Spock Prime will probably quietly make sure that there are whales on Earth (somehow) prior to its arrival.
* Clearly the Klingons already have cloaking technology-- Years ahead of the prior timeline.
* With fewer Vulcans, other species may become more dominant in the Federation and Starfleet. Andorians, maybe?
* As the mentioned them in the movie, it seems that Cardassians are already involved with the Federation in some way, or at least have made first contact.
* Genesis may never be developed now, as Kirk may never bear a son that grows up to be a brilliant scientist who helps develop it.
* Even if it is developed, Genesis will likely never be stolen and used, as Khan will probably be dead in space by that time.
* Sybok is very likely dead with most other Vulcans, thus the events of Star Trek V won't happen.
* With Spock Prime around, we may see peace brokered with the Romulans this time around.
* Enterprise may not get destroyed as early this time, thus by the era of the Next Generation, that crew may only on Enterprise B or Enterprise C... Or they may end up with Enterprise J by that point.

And so on.

My point exactly.

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
Just saw it and loved it! This is just what the franchise needed. What a great fresh start. I look forward to the next.

Exactly. Wasn't it just such a fresh, fun movie? And it totally sets up a new series of movies as we are now at the beginning of what is Star Trek. I also thought the similarities with time/space/alternate realities was too similar to what is going on with LOST but that's another thread. Glad you liked!

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
My wife and I saw it last night and loved it. What a great refresh to the series. It seemed like everyone was perfectly cast, too.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Exactly. Wasn't it just such a fresh, fun movie? And it totally sets up a new series of movies as we are now at the beginning of what is Star Trek. I also thought the similarities with time/space/alternate realities was too similar to what is going on with LOST but that's another thread. Glad you liked!

I did like it a lot. I figured Abrams wouldn't disappoint, and he didn't. The time thing was fine. It didn't bother me at all. I liked the alternate universe thing quite a bit, actually. They could always change things back, ya know. ;)

Antares

macrumors 68000
I saw this and really enjoyed it.

However, like someone else said, this new "Star Trek" has nothing to do with any of the Trek TV series or previous movies. This new Star Trek is essentially a remake. Even if you introduce time travel as an explanation, it is impossible to tie it with the original "universe" of Star Trek. It's already different in too many ways before the Romulan ship from the future arrives to change everything.

This is a "reboot," like advertised. It's a remake in the same way that The Day The Earth Stood Still, War of the Worlds, King Kong, Dawn of the Dead, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, etc., etc. are all "remakes" of original films. This new Star Trek has the similar character and setting names, along with the same basic idea...however, it is not a prequel or connected in any way to any previous Star Trek.

It's a very good and entertaining movie and a nice new interpretation of Star Trek. The effects were really cool and the movie screamed high quality.

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
Saw it at the weekend and was bitterly dissapointed!! What a super cheesy story line! And the scene in the snow when he is getting chased by the monster.... how lame were those special effects!? I know i'm ranting... i just thought it was rubbish :p

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Saw it at the weekend and was bitterly dissapointed!! What a super cheesy story line! And the scene in the snow when he is getting chased by the monster.... how lame were those special effects!? I know i'm ranting... i just thought it was rubbish :p
I thought the special effects in that scene were great. What I didn't like about that scene is there was really no way those creatures couldn't have caught the little captain.

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA

Your kidding right? What year are you from? 2015? ;)

I thought they were good.

A little less shaky camera would be nice. That seems to be the number one thing in films now. Blur the move so much you can't tell whats going on.

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
Your kidding right? What year are you from? 2015? ;)

I thought they were good.

A little less shaky camera would be nice. That seems to be the number one thing in films now. Blur the move so much you can't tell whats going on.

i just think the red type colour of the monster didn't fit too well with the completely white background.... they didnt seem to blend to me. reminded me of the scene where James Bond is kite surfing in front of the giant wave in Die Another Day.... that was an aweful movie scene.

also, what the hell is a bright red animal doing in the middle of a snow desert?

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
i just think the red type colour of the monster didn't fit too well with the completely white background.... they didnt seem to blend to me. reminded me of the scene where James Bond is kite surfing in front of the giant wave in Die Another Day.... that was an aweful movie scene.

also, what the hell is a bright red animal doing in the middle of a snow desert?

What didn't you like about the surf scene from Die Another Day? That wasn't a CGI scene as many people seem to think. That's Laird Hamilton and other famous big wave surfers riding the Jaws in Hawaii. Look up Jaws, big wave, and Laird Hamilton on YouTube for some amazing stuff. I've seen videos of Laird surfing monster waves that make the ones in the James Bond movie looks kinda small. The waves are so big, the helicopters filming them are actually below the crest of the waves sometimes!

Kite surfing, it's not.

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
What didn't you like about the surf scene from Die Another Day? That wasn't a CGI scene as many people seem to think. That's Laird Hamilton and other famous big wave surfers riding the Jaws in Hawaii. Look up Jaws, big wave, and Laird Hamilton on YouTube for some amazing stuff. I've seen videos of Laird surfing monster waves that make the ones in the James Bond movie looks kinda small. The waves are so big, the helicopters filming them are actually below the crest of the waves sometimes!

Kite surfing, it's not.

thats a joke right? i know people surf huge waves etc... but that scene from 007 was definitely CGI!

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
I'm telling you man, it's not. It's a testament to the awesomeness of Laird Hamilton that he does stuff on camera and people go, "Dude, no way that's real!"

Here's a famous scene of Laird on the Jaws:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfIQw_v5CSs&feature=related

i just did a youtube search for "Die Another Day surf scene", and realise we werent even talking about the same scene :p

you were talking about the opening scene, which i agree, is awesome. i was talking about the scene where 007 is hanging off the side of the ice cliff in the rocket car, and uses a part of the car's body and it's parachute to kite surf ahead of a wave that was caused by the ice cliff collapsing. know the scene im talking about?

This one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w6FV8P7HXg :p

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
I'm telling you man, it's not. It's a testament to the awesomeness of Laird Hamilton that he does stuff on camera and people go, "Dude, no way that's real!"

Here's a famous scene of Laird on the Jaws:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfIQw_v5CSs&feature=related

you are very likely thinking about a intro scene from the movie.. we are talking about the scene where bad guy fires up the arctic glacier which then produces a huge wave an which Bond rides using a part from the fancy rocket ski vehicle
which was without a doubt CGI opposed to the very real intro

edit:
The scene where Bond surfs the wave that Icarus created when Graves was trying to kill Bond was shot on the blue screen. The waves and all of the glaciers in the scene were digitally produced.

edit2: and this is the actual real surfing scene from the movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frPUnQBS7Mw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.