Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Hmm, well Mark Hamill has proven he can play one hell of a sadistic bastard through his rendition of the Joker.

Agreed, I'm quite impressed with the range of characters he's been playing. I didn't think he was a great actor during Star Wars but his voice jobs have shown quite a difference

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
A chance, yes.. but that will also give him a bit more leeway with creativity without worrying about the consequences.

With how he handled Star Trek, with Vulcan being destroyed and Spock's mother getting killed, that rewrites the TNG timeline, which now really wouldn't exist.

He won't have the consequences issue with this, as this is post, not pre.

BL.

I disagree. As I've been reading Star Wars novels for 20+ years I fear all that history will be cast aside.
Disney have already stated that only the original 6 films are cannon. The rest is just forgotten.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Hasn't Lucas done far more than JJ ever could to ruining the Star Wars brand.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

How rude!
1377795993_jajarblinks.gif

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm nervously excited. I'm not happy with how Abrams handled Star Trek, so I'm a little concerned about how he'll treat the star wars universe.

Either way I'll be going to see this when it comes out in 2015.

Of all the Star Trek movies, I thought the reboot was the best of them all. No accounting for taste. ;)
I am not excited about seeing original cast members, who are now all old codgers. Maybe I'll be surprised with how they are portrayed?

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
Of all the Star Trek movies, I thought the reboot was the best of them all. No accounting for taste. ;)
I am not excited about seeing original cast members, who are now all old codgers. Maybe I'll be surprised with how they are portrayed?

I agree with you that I enjoyed the reboots better than the originals.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I'm nervously excited. I'm not happy with how Abrams handled Star Trek, so I'm a little concerned about how he'll treat the star wars universe.

I didn't much like the reboot of Star Trek, but JJ did a decent job of it. I'm hoping he can wipe out bad taste from Episode 1-3. I will forever call him Jar Jar Abrams if he can't.:D

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Episode One is absolutist the worst of the bunch in my book. Two and Three are just ok. Here is hoping JJ can bring back the fond memories I had watching Star Wars again.

I liked the reboot of Star Trek, I didn't like the part two as much as I did part one of the reboots though. The Khan sequence wasn't bad it was the whole yelling of his name with the rolls reversed that killed it for me.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Star Trek and Star Wars are such rich universes there's no reason to rehash any old episodes or movies. Come up with a new story line for christ sake!

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Star Trek and Star Wars are such rich universes there's no reason to rehash any old episodes or movies. Come up with a new story line for christ sake!

Agreed. However, there have been some excellent books written in the Star Wars universe that I wouldn't mind seeing being made into movies.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I didn't much like the reboot of Star Trek, but JJ did a decent job of it. I'm hoping he can wipe out bad taste from Episode 1-3. I will forever call him Jar Jar Abrams if he can't.:D

He could start by killing off said Jar Jar. Not in any ceremonious fashion. Nah, just have a little bit in the background where he walks a little too close to a jet intake.

*Sadistic grin*

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green

That's truly the most stinging epithet I've heard in a long time.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Disney might actually make this good. Better not have all that Star Trek lens flare though.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC

I'll say no. Lucas created the brand. While the first three cannot absolve him from the second three, the former still greatly outweigh the latter. Lucas didn't do his legacy a favor with the Jar Jar's, the Youngling Slaughter, Hayden Christensen, etc. But he did found the brand.

Yesterday, May the 4th, is now an acceptable holiday amongst geeks. That's rather telling of the passion and involvement of the typical Star Wars fanboy. I'm glad Lucas is done with the series, no doubt, but I think an Abrams miss could end the franchise entirely with the wrong movie. Who'd want to touch it after a new disaster? Star Wars would drop into B movie status. Spider-Man and Batman have been able to survive because their stories get retold. We can't get shocked again about the wisdom of Obi-wan, the lineage of Luke and Leia or the betrayal of Lando. A reboot would be disastrous.

If Star Wars is to survive, it will be with an expanded universe. IMHO, the only way it keeps expanding is with a compelling new tale. I'm not sure Abrams is as up to the task as maybe a Peter Jackson or Christopher Nolan might be. Those guys can tell a story. Abrams' stories, from my experience, are shallow and gimmicky. I fear it will be a two hour battle with flashy effects, a chase, and some sort of surface love story.

I don't think Abrams has the skills to further the universe or expand the story and it could grind the once mighty franchise into the ground. I hope I'm wrong...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.