Star Wars turns 30

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Blue Velvet, May 24, 2007.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Oh boy... getting old. Saw this on first release in 1977 but enjoyed Close Encounters more at the time. ;)

Anyway, around the world, people are dusting off their stormtrooper outfits for marathon double-trilogy screeenings and post offices are releasing commemorative stamps. Lego are releasing special-edition sets and the 'last guy in the world to see Star Wars' is getting flamed. :D

I should tape a danish to both sides of my head tomorrow... :D

Anyway: great soundtrack, questionable sequels, groundbreaking effects for the time, truly iconic despite its cheesiness. May the force be with you.

2. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

3. ATD macrumors 6502a

It's amazing how these films have endured. I waited until my son was 7 (last year) to show him the films. Now he watches them over and over and over. He gets online and bookmarks the Star Wars Legos toys he wants. He's going to be thrilled about seeing the exhibit in London.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Luke, at that speed will you be able to pull out in time? :D

5. iGav macrumors G3

I can. I've never seen any of them either. ;)

6. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

There's a big 30 year SW celebration at the Los Angeles Convention Center for 4 days. I'm going to check it out tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get a sneak peak at the the new SW television series that's coming out. I'll post updates if I see anything interesting.

7. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I think that there's laws against that now. Get thee to a store and purchase the 6 disc set STAT!

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

For a long time I assumed we'd eventually see Episodes I through IX.

We did get to see 9 episodes, except that they were

IV
    V
    VI
    IV Special Edition
    V Special Edition
    VI Special Edition
    I
    II
    III​

9. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I'd love to see the story lines in some of the books written using the character set both long before the Lucas movies and long after made into movies or even a TV show.

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I don't think I've seen them all. :eek:

And when one (can't remember which is which) was re-released in theaters quite awhile back, I fell asleep during it. Didn't wake up 'til people were clapping at the end credits. :eek:

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

this makes me want to bust out the DVDs. i love this series, grew up with it, and just awesome for its time.

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

The Star Wars movies are great however I have vowed never to actually purchase coipies of any of them, since Lucas is a greedy bastard who just re-releases the movies every year with some twist to them just to make more money - and the sad thing is that suckers actually continue to buy them. VHS, Special Edition VHS, no Episode I on DVD "ever", then yes Episode I on DVD (surprise surprise...), theatrical release, theatrical re-release, better special effects, director's cut, the new ones, the old ones, the new and old ones, remastered, Hayden edited into ROTJ, blah blah blah, it will never end... :rolleyes: :cool:

13. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

.. and then all of 'em on HD-DVD. ;)

Episodes 4-6 should be remade IMHO.
    It's fun now that all episodes are there to watch them in the real time sequence, 1-6.
    Problem with that is that after Episode 3 you really go back in "Hollywood time" when you start watching Episode 4, and get a bit bored with it.

14. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

For me, the moment when everything went all wrong...

[​IMG]

15. ATD macrumors 6502a

How am I not surprised. ;)

I didn't see all of the first movie until a few years ago. I did see it when it first came out but add drive-in + girlfriend. :D

16. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

For me, it was when Greedo shot first.

17. ATD macrumors 6502a

Exactly, Empire was the best one, it went downhill from there.

18. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I remember seeing the premiers of the special editions back when I was 9, It was a pretty defineing moment in my life for a fair few reasons, all of which have zero to do with the film itself or sci-fi.

19. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Agreed

20. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

They're going to be released on Blu-Ray I've heard. And there are tons of bonus material they've been "holding back" until an HD release. So I wonder if they will announce anything interesting at the Star Wars Celebration thing. :p :D

Good old Star Wars, *opens up iTunes for a 6 movie soundtrack marathon* :cool: *dork*

*changes avatar for the occasion* ;)

21. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

For a few years, MAD Magazine has been putting out one issue in the summer that has two different covers over the same content. They explain why: collectors will buy one of each and they get extra money. And it works: The usual gang of idiotic collectors pay twice that month. I know... I'm one of them. :eek:

23. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Haha, I have NO idea what you're talking about! :eek: *hides all copies* haha :p

I remember when I was little watching the old FOX/CBS VHS tapes (probably the original release). Then we got the Letterbox edition, then the Special Edition Widescreen VHS tapes, then the special edition Widescreen DVDs etc. Now...we wait for an HD release to give Mr. Lucas the money he wants :D haha

24. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Haha, that's awesome. Yep, wait for the Blu Ray versions, then the HD-DVD versions, then Lucas will remaster them again and release another version, thena 6-movie box set, then... arrgh! :rolleyes: :p :D ;)

25. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

But do you have the Japanese subtitled LaserDisc for Episode I since "no-DVD" was the line, it was the only way to get 5.1 surround sound... of course being an eBay purchase none of the money went to Mr. Lucas.