Starbucks, The Office, Designer, and Mac

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by myibookrocks, Aug 7, 2010.

1. myibookrocks macrumors newbie

Hello MacRumors,

This is my first forum but I figure I would start now :eek: I have noticed lately that many people have fit the "I like Starbucks; watch The Office, I'm a designer, and I use Mac" Sterotype if you will. Maybe I'm just crazy but do you almost fit or fit this "sterotype". I know I do and some of my friends are as well. Tell me what you think.

myibookrocks:apple:

2. bartelby macrumors Core

I can't stand Starbucks, I hate the Office and I'm a civil servant.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There are no Starbucks in Finland (unfortunately), I don't even know what The Office is and no, I'm not a designer. Some people might fit for that stereotype but generally, I don't think so.

4. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Hate Starbucks and coffee in general....love the office.... and I work in Finance

so i guess 1 out of 3

5. Queso macrumors G4

I much prefer Caffe Nero, don't watch much television at all, and I'm a network engineer. So much for stereotypes eh? :p

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Hate Starbucks, but go often because nobody else in this country serves brewed coffee.

I love The Office (UK and American versions).

I work in a cancer treatment department of a hospital.

7. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I think you could take 100 people randomly from a phone book and a big percentage of them would like Starbucks and The Office. This site attracts a lot of designers because it is about computers/Macs. I don't see any pattern here.

8. myibookrocks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies. I understand that this is somewhat common, but I live in a very small town and to find one person who knows what a Mac is very uncommon.

9. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I can't stand starbucks, I make my own coffee. I enjoy both versions of The Office. My day job is as an accountant. I use many computers with various operating systems, some of which are Macs.

10. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

No Starbucks where I live. Never been to one. Drink home brewed Folgers when the weather's cool enough. Haven't even seen 1 second of an episode of the Office and have no intention of ever watching it. Have done graphic design (although don't think of myself as a Graphic Designer) and, umm, do use a Mac. :eek:

11. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Starbucks is fine, I am a designer, The Office is funny but I don't watch it hardly at all.

12. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I can't stand Starbucks. It is the scum of the world of overpriced corporate fast food junk. I hope that doesn't sound harsh...

I'm not keen on The Office and I'm no graphic designer. As I don't fit the stereotype, I don't think that most will. If you insist on a stereotype, I think you should consider visiting more threads and look for terms that kids or single males in tedious jobs use. Or students. LOL, AWESOME, WTF, Macs are better... this sort of thing.

13. remmy macrumors 6502a

Hate starbucks, the coffee is terrible, never watched the office, but am in design. Have a Mac Pro because it best suits my needs.

14. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

I'm a designer, I'm in a Starbucks right now, I love The Office, and I'm typing this on my MBP.

(had to have at least ONE person in this thread fit your stereotype!)

15. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I'm not a designer. In fact, I could very well be the least creative person on the planet. I find Starbucks to be overpriced for what it is, but the coffee itself doesn't bother me. Love the Office. I have a blue collar job. So mostly I don't fit the mold.

16. myibookrocks thread starter macrumors newbie

You are awesome! Thanks for your reply. Also, it's sounds like Starbucks isn't a favorite which I can understand.

17. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

I love starbucks, I like Steve carrel and the office and I'm not too much in design, but I do love Mac

18. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I really like Starbucks, and The Office is funny, but I barely watch TV.

And I'm a student, wanting to go into IT, so no, I'm not wanting to be/am a designer.

19. Reventon macrumors 6502

I don't frequent Starbucks too much, but most of the people there I find are surfing on PC laptops more than Macbooks. But I don't watch the Office, nor am I a designer of any sort. 1 out of 3 aint bad.

20. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Crap dude. I am sitting inside a Starbucks and I have my Starbucks mousepad, MB and Magic Mouse.

Also own a photography and design studio...

damn I must be a sellout!

21. 184550 Guest

I enjoy The Office and have an iMac. But I'm a History major looking for a job in civil service and I hate coffee in general.

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You're like that Sticking it to the Man commercial from Sprint or w/e. :p

I didn't know that stereotype existed. :p In the spirit of disclosure, I will tolerate (but do not necessarily like) Starbucks, except at Christmas, when there's something about peppermint mochas in their Christmas cups that makes me really happy. I begrudgingly admit that, after ignoring it for several seasons in memoriam of the short-lived UK Office, I think the American Office is actually very funny. I'm not a designer.

The trend that bothers me is the greasy, heavyset people who sit around in baggy jerseys with $3000 macs in coffee shops and surf Youtube, and think they're fashionable because they own one of those god-awful Tom Bihn or SF Waterfield bags. Oh, wait, am I being hateful now? :eek:

23. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I love OS X and have been using it since it came out in 2001. However, I don't really watch much TV (very few shows made in the last 20 years, most of which are cartoons), I listen to jazz music, and I've only once ever been in a Starbucks - a friend of mine was getting coffee to go.

I'd rather buy a bottle of good creamer for $2 and have a week's worth of good coffee (but I don't drink coffee often), than pay $3 for a cup of the same thing at starbucks.

All that said, a lot of my music is modern jazz with a few random 60's rock songs within. I drive a 300C and my dream car? Probably a Lamborghini but I'd want an SRT8 for a daily. I'm not much for the whole euro VW Audi tight jeans thing.

Currently I have a Sony laptop, because I couldn't afford what I wanted in a Mac laptop and wasn't willing to compromise. I'm planning to save up for a Mac Pro in the future... no iPhone because I'd never be able to save for that Mac Pro if I did hahahaha.

*smirk* So there's all you need to know about the infamous JoeG4.

Maybe not? I'm studying to be a Computer Engineer (ahem, Electrical Engineer with fancy CS skillz), and I like to screw around with CSS and make Drupal, SMF, and other PHP products look completely different than they're supposed to with it.

OS X appealed to me when Apple was making computers that belonged on an Alien space ship and I was working on code from a friend's BSDi shell. I thought being able to use a nice shell -and- be able to use regular apps was a sweet deal.

When I carry my PowerBook out (and I've had that a while), it goes in a really boring leather bag - lol I wanted a cool sling bag but they didn't exist at the time. One day one of my friends asked me where I got the bag, because he said all of the professors at our college seem to have it and he wanted to know why he missed the memo lol. :D PWNT!

Oh yea, and I'm not a skinny trendy dude in tight jeans. I'm a tall guy with long hair, and I love mah womenz.

Oh yea and I'm liberal.. and I'm catholic. Bet you've never seen that before. XD

24. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I hate missing memos...

25. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

OK, you got me...

I guess I like the coffee at Starbucks. But I never go there because I don't like all those pretentious-ass yuppie types that hang out there 24/7, writing bull crap on their laptops. Lame and played. :rolleyes:

The Office is one of my favorite shows. It's so cool that the building where they film is like 3 miles from here on Saticoy and Woodman. :)

I do like design. I draw and illustrate too. Not professionally but I do freelance jobs here and there. Mostly just an expressive hobby.

So yeah, OP, you've got me figured out. :D