Start Up Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GinaHay, May 10, 2016.

1. GinaHay macrumors newbie

Hi,

My macbook pro has been acting up. It will allow me to log in, but will fail and shut down halfway through logging in.
    Single user mode (trying to use fsck -fy) showed that "The volume Macintosh HD could not be verified completely.
    Disk utility & disk verification is being a tad vague. It shows:

Macintosh HD
    Macintosh HD
    Superdrive

When verifying the first Macintosh HD disk, it claims that everything is ok. When unlocking and verifying the second, however, it reads: "The volume Macintosh HD could not be verified completely. File system check exit code is 8. Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk," but of course, being the sassy OS that it is, the disk "could not be mounted" & the "Repair Disk" option remains gray and unavailable. It keeps telling me to run repairs. Take a wild guess what I'm trying here. Please tell me I don't have to erase my entire laptop or buy a new one, I am poor :( . Thanks in advance,

- Gina

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

You may have to reformat the hard drive, I hope you have a back up. That is the first thing to try it may well work fine after that.

If you have a non retina machine then it is an easy job to replace a broken hard drive with a couple of screwdrivers, if it comes to that use an SSD it will make your computer better than new.

It may be a SATA cable gone to test that you'll have to remove the disk and put it in a USB enclosure then try to boot externally, if that works it may well be the SATA cable which are only $20 ish to buy.

Use ifixit for guides on how to do all of this sort of stuff, they are detailed and easy to follow.