Starting to regret buying a MBA 13

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by houssein31, Nov 12, 2013.

1. houssein31 macrumors regular

Im starting to regret buying a 2013 air. because the 2014 will probably have a major new design and I realize I could have waited another year.Should I return it and wait?

thanks in advance

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Return. Living with regret is a terrible thing...

3. iLuvMyMacToo macrumors regular

Then when you get the 2014 model you'll be missing out on the 2015 model, but then you'll miss out on the 2016 model...

4. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

If the MacBookAir does what you need it to do enjoy it! This is a rumor sight, therefore no one knows what the actual MacBookAir will be in 2014!

The reality is Apple and all the other computer companies had 2014 computers in the works already. So your ALREADY a year behind. You'll never catch up.

5. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Learn to enjoy what you have. Life will be much better.

6. calvol macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting, 2014 will be a big change, hoping to buy the rumored 12" Air with IGZO screen. My 2010 13" Air is still humming along.

7. stayley macrumors member

Why did you buy it? To have a computer that meets your needs and lets you work productively? Or to have the latest and greatest (at least in terms of the MBA)?

If the former, then get over yourself and just enjoy the machine, because I'm sure it does everything you need perfectly.

If the latter, then you will never be satisfied. I could say I already regret the purchase of the MBA given that Samsung finally released the 8GB/256GB version of the Ativ Book 9 Plus, but I don't really care since the MBA suits my needs and I simply enjoy working with this laptop. It is a great piece of hardware and there will always be something better lingering around the corner.

8. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    I'll buy it off you - how much? :apple:

9. hindmost macrumors regular

hindmost

There are those who hoard comic books or cats. Some folks who stand on mountain tops waiting for the end of the world. On and on. They are deeply troubled folks. You may be at the very starting edge of this kind of stuff.

I could say I deeply regret buying my first Mac (a Mac Plus) in 1987 because look how much I could have now. Such thinking is endless. More recently, folks on this blog waiting for the 2013 Mac Air having a 'retina display' but they waited for naught.

Live life as it is not as it 'may be' in the future. Besides, you can always sell your 2013 model next year and get a good chunk of your money back to help with a 2014 model (if indeed it turns out to be worth it).

Good luck!

10. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Do whatever makes you happy. Having just purchased a loaded 2013 MBA I'm pretty pleased with the machine and look forward to years of use out of it. But I'm not one of those techies who desires the absolute latest & greatest.

11. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You knew that before you bought it, right? Or you should have known it? If you return it, you'll be using your older computer for one year more. And in three years time when there is a _substantially_ better MBA, yours is only two years old and you won't be able to justify replacing it.

Absolutely. There is nothing worse than purely self-inflicted unhappiness.

12. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Definitely return it... then do a 10 day silent retreat as to why you need the approval of others to make decisions in life you already know you want to make. Who knows, may be life changing!

13. Mrbobb macrumors 601

A classical case of somebody who have NO NEED for a laptop but just WANT one, and WANTS are ever changing.

14. enigmapl macrumors newbie

15. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

Either return it as others have suggested or keep it until just before the 2014 models are to be revealed and sell it at that point. You could then do the latter every year and be assured of always having the latest and greatest.

16. tdiaz macrumors 6502

I'm starting to regret buying that 2012 MBPR I got last June .. I mean, I could ..

What the heck am I saying??!?!

I could still be using that MacBook 1,1!

17. sysProgrammer macrumors member

sysProgrammer

dont

12" is going to replace 11 down the road - I can see it.
    The intel chip required to support it wont come out till June if then, and the apple will take another few months to get it up the supply chain for product to lunch at earliest in October.
    So you have another year of use at least, then if it comes out in October, go check it out and see if it is really what you want. Then you can sell yours, add a few hundred and go for the new shiny thing.

Again I think this is more targeted toward 11" sales than 13".

18. Tfb macrumors member

If you can wait, wait.

My general policy is that if you can wait you should wait. Clearly you can wait since otherwise returning wouldn't be a serious possibility.

Save the money, save the environment, practice enjoying what you have, and when your computer breaks down or you know for a fact you can't resist the shiny new thing, go for it without guilt and enjoy it that much more.

19. Constantine.T macrumors member

Hey man, Just resell it after one year and buy a new one :)

20. krravi macrumors 65816

I just opened my brand new MBA 13 and I was thinking of returning it and getting the 13" rMBP.

But I opened it anyway and find that its sooo light and yet powerful. So going to keep it and lets see what happens next year?

I sold the 2012 MBA to buy this one.. lost a couple hundred dollars which was fine as I used it for a year.

21. houssein31 thread starter macrumors regular

22. kalex macrumors 65816

I read somewhere that 2016 model will be twice as faster as 2014 and will wipe the floor with 2013 model. Got to wait till 2016 then

23. tobeornottobe, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

tobeornottobe macrumors regular

Yup therefore I'm waiting no matter what. I'm going to cling onto my 2010 MBA until they release a newly designed retina MBA. The new one is going to be awesome, everything redesigned from ground up, with retina display sharper than the iPad or iPhone. It will also be perfect size for me too, 12.3" ultra HD display. It will just be awesome. I would get that one over the old ugly 3yo design any day. In fact I'm getting bored of the wedge shape of the MBA. Imagine they could thin the entire machine into uniform thinness. It's a iPad air on steroids.

24. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

How much did you sell it for and related, was it a base 128 HD and 4 GB RAM or an upgraded one?

25. krravi macrumors 65816

It was a 256 GB, i7, 8 GB. I bought it refurbed for 1500 i think and sold it for 1250.