Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Last week was on Sturgeon Lake, Minnesota for the 4th of July. This week stalking The Big Heads*. :D Great weather in the Black Hills of South Dakota! A very pretty area.
*Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse Memorial.

The first time I saw the Crazy Horse Memorial, it was 20 years ago and there was no face, just a ledge and a hole. Now there is a face. :). And this statue is like 4 times the size of Rushmore.

crazyhorse2_wide-9646d9186b83b6898f8b90748e5cf642bbe25a56.jpg

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Last week was on Sturgeon Lake, Minnesota for the 4th of July. This week stalking The Big Heads*. :D Great weather in the Black Hills of South Dakota! A very pretty area.

The first time I saw the Crazy Horse Memorial, it was 20 years ago and there was no face, just a ledge and a hole. Now there is a face. :). And this statue is like 4 times the size of Rushmore.

Sounds cool, - lovely photograph - and I hope you enjoy it.

For my part, where holidays or vacations are concerned, I am still at the planning stage…..

Reactions: Huntn

c55

macrumors regular
May 3, 2015
Nice picture! I'm hoping to visit Mt Rushmore next year
Road tripping to St. Augustine, FL and stopping along the way at various spots all next week. Hoping to get some good aerial shots with my Phantom. Just spent a pretty penny fixing it up for the trip :)

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012

lol, I was there almost 30 years ago (!), I can't believe they've only gotten this far.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The Bahamas

ZCFRPsR.jpg

I. Assume you came off of one of those boats... How's the cruise been?

lol, I was there almost 30 years ago (!), I can't believe they've only gotten this far.

Limited funds, they refused Federal funds for a long time. I recall the sculptor did it his way with emphasis on the overall sculpture, but after he passed, his wife changed the emphasis to the face to get something done to inspire more interest in the project. The face is good!

121105060258-01-crazy-horse-memorial-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

I was on the Cox's Bazar sea beach with all of my family for a week tour.

Where is that?

Nice picture! I'm hoping to visit Mt Rushmore next year
Road tripping to St. Augustine, FL and stopping along the way at various spots all next week. Hoping to get some good aerial shots with my Phantom. Just spent a pretty penny fixing it up for the trip :)

If you are interested in paleontology, 40 miles down the road is The Mammoth Site in Hot Springs, South Dakota. An inclosed (building built over it) prehistoric sink hole that trapped an estimated 100s of Wooly and Columbian mammoths. The Columbians made the Woolies look like light weights. Most interesting is that these are not fossils, but 26000 year old bones.

columbian_mammoth_by_sameerprehistorica-d5gbagw.jpg

But there is a mammoth that's even larger approaching Middle Earth Oliphaunt size... ;) It roamed China and Mongolia.

woolly-mammoth-size-comparison.gif

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm getting the train down to Bruges in December, week before Christmas... The most magical place on earth in my opinion

Agreed. It is a wonderful - and slightly unsettling - spot. Actually, I love Bruges, an extraordinarily atmospheric city, with a compelling history, entrancing atmosphere, great food, wine, beer, restaurants, pubs…..lovely tapestriesfantastic museums...

Actually, I'd love to have the opportunity to spend a visit of longer than a few nights there.

Enjoy your trip: I'd love to accompany you there

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

I went there and Mt. Rushmore a couple of summers ago. Great to look at, but doesn't look like they have done too much to the Crazy Horse Memorial in that time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.