Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Thanks to myself and my kids our favorite destination is DisneyWorld :D I'm booking a trip now for April 2016.

I was trying to book a quick long weekend getaway for WDW in November, my wife loves the Osborne Lights (part of Disney's Christmas celebration) and given the planned refurbishments of the hollywood studio's park. This might be the last time we see those lights for a while.

The issue for that quick trip is air fare. Its hard to justify a quick trip when you're dropping 1,200 dollars to get to Orlando, and of course another 800 just for two days worth of park tickets.. That's 2,000 never mind the hotel/resort costs.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The typical Hotel Continental Breakfast- one big shot of sugar... Except for the oatmeal. No wonder there are so many wide bodies. o_O

Thanks to myself and my kids our favorite destination is DisneyWorld :D I'm booking a trip now for April 2016.

I was trying to book a quick long weekend getaway for WDW in November, my wife loves the Osborne Lights (part of Disney's Christmas celebration) and given the planned refurbishments of the hollywood studio's park. This might be the last time we see those lights for a while.

The issue for that quick trip is air fare. Its hard to justify a quick trip when you're dropping 1,200 dollars to get to Orlando, and of course another 800 just for two days worth of park tickets.. That's 2,000 never mind the hotel/resort costs.

I said this somewhere previously...
The first time I looked at Disney World, before the housing bubble burst, the cheapest room in park was an astounding $600 a night and it would not even hold our entire group. Was not willing to spend $1200 a night for 2 rooms so we stayed outside the park in a suite at a resort hotel for $275 a night.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I said this somewhere previously...
The first time I looked at Disney World, before the housing bubble burst, the cheapest room in park was an astounding $600 a night and it would not even hold our entire group. Was not willing to spend $1200 a night for 2 rooms so we stayed outside the park in a suite at a resort hotel for $275 a night.
Depending on the party size and when you go, you can see nightly rates at the "value" disney resorts in the 150 to 175 range and the moderates around 200 a night. I'd say that's pretty close to many hotels around Disney.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Depending on the party size and when you go, you can see nightly rates at the "value" disney resorts in the 150 to 175 range and the moderates around 200 a night. I'd say that's pretty close to many hotels around Disney.

Sounds like Disney's prices have dropped substantially, what the market will bear.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I'm hosting a family reunion at a beach house in Nags Head, NC this summer. Also planning on trying to do another cruise, possibly around the holidays.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
mexico last november, staycation this year since we bought a house, really hoping to get back to japan next year

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sounds like Disney's prices have dropped substantially, what the market will bear.
Don't get me wrong - Disney can be very expensive still Take a look at these screen shots of the inexpensive and expensive for the same time frame. The first is a value resort. You get two double bed. The second is the contemporary where you can walk to the magic kingdom or take the mono rail.
ASM_Nov.png
cr_nov.png

Also throw in park tickets and it gets very pricey. For a family of four for a two day park ticket, it will run me 800 bucks. The more days you add on the smaller the delta. 4 day base ticket will run me 1262 but a 5 day base ticket will only cost me 1304 or 10.5 more per person. They really try to make you stay longer on property.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I just wanted to post one more thing about this, if I may press the issue without being incredibly annoying. I just booked a 3 night, 4 day getaway for Disney for November - its a surprise for my kids since they have no clue. I was able to snag a resort for 351 dollars for the entire stay. The airfare is another question, I'm keeping an eye on that, and as soon as that approaches 1,000 I jump on that.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I just wanted to post one more thing about this, if I may press the issue without being incredibly annoying. I just booked a 3 night, 4 day getaway for Disney for November - its a surprise for my kids since they have no clue. I was able to snag a resort for 351 dollars for the entire stay. The airfare is another question, I'm keeping an eye on that, and as soon as that approaches 1,000 I jump on that.

That is impressive. Things have changed.

barca bear

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Scotland
Going to Gothenburg at the end of the month for a weekend. A couple of nights in Edinburgh too. Then doing London in October for 3 nights.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Does anyone have photo of their Paris France vacation? Please photo them!! It's at the top of my bucket travel list!! Thank you!

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Lake Garda this year. My wife and daughter are also headed to Turkey in 3 weeks.
Lake Garda looks soooo beautiful. I would love to see this place with my own two eyes. Post a pic here when you return!

We live at the beach, so we do mini trips all year. NYC in March/April, DC for the Fourth, and Cincinatti next month. Hoping to get to the NC mountains to camp this fall too.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Lake Garda looks soooo beautiful. I would love to see this place with my own two eyes. Post a pic here when you return!

We live at the beach, so we do mini trips all year. NYC in March/April, DC for the Fourth, and Cincinatti next month. Hoping to get to the NC mountains to camp this fall too.

Sure

bwhinnen

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2010
McKinney
Drove up to San Francisco for a week and then driving back down the 1 to LA to spend the day at Universal for my Son's 10th birthday.

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.