Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The last time I took the family camping 2 decades ago, Custer State Park, S.Dakota, it thunder stormed every night and I longed for a cabin, although it was a fun trip. :D

Years and years ago, when I was a kid (and had read far too many adventure stories) I longed to go camping on holiday and was eagerly supported by my brothers.

My mother swiftly quashed that idea, pointing out that it would not be a holiday for her, and that, if anything, this 'holiday' would demand more work from her, rather than less, (which did not meet with her definition of what could be viewed, or defined, as a holiday) in far less agreeable circumstances, with far fewer facilities, considerably less comfort, and - the final straw - with an above average chance of rain.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Oh yes, the food. Wow, did we eat...

It doesn't get much fresher than this. Make your picks right at the seaside fish markets and let them cook it up.

349cbw7.jpg

You can't throw a stone without hitting a food vendor of some sort there. So we ate...

2wmgnpt.jpg

...and ate...

2dmcj8w.jpg

...and ate...

343rbjt.jpg

...and, well, you get the idea.

14nn6lj.jpg

Baby octopus!

312bgvn.jpg

So good, and it costs pennies. Fresh, at a "locals only" type place up the mountains. The next closest restaurant was buried in a recent landslide. Good for the competition, I guess.

se24wi.jpg

Here, I'll save you the head.

2ymx18n.jpg

It is an island after all. Seafood everywhere, and so cheap.

1zdb1af.jpg

Ok, now I'm getting hungry.

152hncm.jpg

I have yet to come across an Asian cuisine I dislike - and most of them, I love - so these pictures are terribly tempting, and look absolutely delicious.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Years and years ago, when I was a kid (and had read far too many adventure stories) I longed to go camping on holiday and was eagerly supported by my brothers.

My mother swiftly quashed that idea, pointing out that it would not be a holiday for her, and that, if anything, this 'holiday' would demand more work from her, rather than less, (which did not meet with her definition of could be viewed as a holiday) in far less agreeable circumstances, with far fewer facilities, considerably less comfort, and - the final straw - with an above average chance of rain.

I'm sorry you did not get this experience (selfish Mom ;)) or did you later?

This is a repeat story regarding rain, but when I was 21 went bicycling on a trip up the C&O Canal Trail from Washington, DC to Cumberland, Md with my Brother and his girl friend's parents who were in their 40s. We were camping in tube tents, just a tube of plastic sheeting with a string through it, tied to two trees. I got so mad at them when the first night, it started pouring rain, even though we would have ended up sleeping in puddles and soggy sleeping bags, they unilaterally decided we were going to a nearby hotel! The nerve, not the pioneer spirit!! :D

For anyone who lives in this area, I recommend it. You can walk or bike for just a day, it does not have to be the entire length. The Chesapeake and Ohio Canal operated from the early 1800s to early 1900s, primarily used to haul coal from the Allegany Mountains to points East including Georgetown.

cando-header.gif

CO-Canal-ATC-2011-Brinson.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm sorry you did not get this experience (selfish Mom ;)) or did you later?

This is a repeat story regarding rain, but when I was 21 went bicycling on a trip up the C&O Canal Trail from Washington, DC to Cumberland, Md with my Brother and his girl friend's parents who were in their 40s. We were camping in tube tents, just a tube of plastic sheeting with a string through it, tied to two trees. I got so mad at them when the first night, it started pouring rain, even though we would have ended up sleeping in puddles and soggy sleeping bags, they unilaterally decided we were going to a nearby hotel! The nerve, not the pioneer spirit!! :D

For anyone who lives in this area, I recommend it. You can walk or bike for just a day, it does not have to be the entire length. The Chesapeake and Ohio Canal operated from the early 1800s to early 1900s, primarily used to haul coal from the Allegany Mountains to points East including Georgetown.

cando-header.gif

CO-Canal-ATC-2011-Brinson.jpg

No, pragmatic Mom, as a matter of fact. She also vetoed the idea of caravanning (which we pushed, fired with romantic enthusiasm, which she viewed as nonsense, one year) with equal vigour. "That is not a holiday for me" she said, adding, in case we got too enthusiastic, "how about you guys do all the cooking, and cleaning and washing up, if you are that keen?" As we weren't - at that stage - the pretty decent chefs we became later on, this was greeted dubiously.

She made the very valid point that she had no intention of replicating what she did daily - in worse, or, more challenging circumstances - and that for her, a holiday was an escape away from daily stuff. Hence a marked preference for hotels, and so on.

I'll be honest here; what is thrilling to think about at age seven or eight, or ten, (tents, dens, pioneering spirit) becomes a lot less so as an adult, especially as a female adult.

As an adult, especially as a female adult, bathrooms and decent plumbing assume a whole new dimension which one greets with unadulterated delight: Now, I don't envy male sexuality, but I do envy the sheer convenience of what the possession of such attributes allows men to be able to do, when, for example, camping, especially when contrasted with the basic challenges of carrying out such physical functions when female; add to that the lashing rain, and groping about for my glasses in such an environment.

No, as it happened, I never got that experience as a kid, or in a context one might term 'a holiday'. However, it is something I will do - and have done - when work situations have called for it.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
No, pragmatic Mom, as a matter of fact. She also vetoed the idea of caravanning (which we pushed, fired with romantic enthusiasm, which she viewed as nonsense, one year) with equal vigour. "That is not a holiday for me" she said, adding, in case we got too enthusiastic, "how about you guys do all the cooking, and cleaning and washing up, if you are that keen?" As we weren't - at that stage - the pretty decent chefs we became later on, this was greeted dubiously.

She made the very valid point that she had no intention of replicating what she did daily - in worse, or, more challenging circumstances - and that for her, a holiday was an escape away from daily stuff. Hence hotels, and so on.

I'll be honest here; what is thrilling to think about at age seven or eight, or ten, (tents, dens, pioneering spirit) becomes a lot less so as an adult, especially as a female adult.

As an adult, especially as a female adult, bathrooms and decent plumbing assume a while new dimension which one greets with unadulterated delight: Now, I don't envy male sexuality, but I do envy the sheer convenience of what the possession of such attributes allows men to be able to do, when, for example, camping when contrasted with the basic challenges of carrying out such physical functions when female; add to that the lashing rain, and groping about for my glasses in such an environment.

No, as it happened, I never got that experience as a kid, or in a context one might term 'a holiday'. However, it is something I will do - and have done - when work situations have called for it.

Lol, yes. Squatting in the woods is not very appealing. Bathroom facilities and hygiene are definitely an issue for women. My wife is a trooper though, on that S. Dakota camping trip, I remember my wife grappling with the Porto-toilet in our tent that collapsed on occasion during use, although there were the official foul smelling Porto-potties at the camp site. Yes, the men were better adapted to roughing it in this regard. I did get a chance ( sorry for the crude description) to take a dump in the woods and without a proper toilet to sit on, not enjoyable at all, especially if you are worried about being stumbled upon by hikers with your pants down. :D
[doublepost=1464104378][/doublepost]
Northern Italy for 2 weeks in late September.

Photos demanded!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Lol, yes. Squatting in the woods is not very appealing. Bathroom facilities and hygiene are definitely an issue for women. My wife is a trooper though, on that S. Dakota camping trip, I remember my wife grappling with the Porto-toilet in our tent that collapsed on occasion during use, although there were the official foul smelling Porto-potties at the camp site. Yes, the men were better adapted to roughing it in this regard. I did get a chance ( sorry for the crude description) to take a dump in the woods and without a proper toilet to sit on, not enjoyable at all, especially if you are worried about being stumbled upon by hikers with your pants down. :D
[doublepost=1464104378][/doublepost]

Photos demanded!

Well, while on an election mission some years ago in deepest, darkest, Kyrgyzstan, my mission cell phone (thank the gods about whose existence I remain deeply dubious that my sat phone was in my rucksack) fell into a deep black hole while I was doing the needful.

My sworn oaths were loud, vulgar and biological, and gave rise to shouts of laughter from nearby colleagues. Meanwhile, back at HQ some time later, the Polish logistics officer kept pretending to have a poor understanding of English (I had worked with him on several prior - and also, as it happened, subsequent - missions, so we knew one another pretty well), as, between gasps of smothered laughter, he insisted that I repeat the story in order that he could record an explanation for a missing mission phone in the relevant bureaucratic file.
[doublepost=1464105142][/doublepost]
Northern Italy for 2 weeks in late September.

Now, that is what I deem a proper holiday.

Where, exactly, in Northern Italy?

Reactions: Huntn

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well, while on an election mission some years ago in deepest, darkest, Kyrgyzstan, my mission cell phone (thank the gods about whose existence I remain deeply dubious that my sat phone was in my rucksack) fell into a deep black hole while I was doing the needful.

My sworn oaths were loud, vulgar and biological, and gave rise to shouts of laughter from nearby colleagues. Meanwhile, back at HQ some time later, the Polish logistics officer kept pretending to have a poor understanding of English (I had worked with him on several prior - and also, as it happened, subsequent - missions, so we knew one another pretty well), as, between gasps of smothered laughter, he insisted that I repeat the story in order that he could record an explanation for a missing mission phone in the relevant bureaucratic file.
[doublepost=1464105142][/doublepost]

Now, that is what I deem a proper holiday.

Where, exactly, in Northern Italy?
At least it wasn't an iPhone!
The number of phones that do end up in the pan so to speak (because people use them on the toilet!:eek:) is exactly the reason I have never nor will I ever buy a second hand phone and stick it on my face!

Can't imagine you roughing it though SS. I see you more in a fine hotel with a well stocked wine cellar and excellent restaurant!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
At least it wasn't an iPhone!
The number of phones that do end up in the pan so to speak (because people use them on the toilet!:eek:) is exactly the reason I have never nor will I ever buy a second hand phone and stick it on my face!

Can't imagine you roughing it though SS. I see you more in a fine hotel with a well stocked wine cellar and excellent restaurant!

No, international missions don't tend to use iPhones. They use much abused old phones, Nokias, usually, sometimes Samsungs.

However, if the sat phone - rather than the mobile, or cell, phone, had died that tragic and dramatic death, - the bloody thing was attached to my belt, and somehow escaped to its doom - matters could have been more serious.

You'd be surprised at some of the places I have worked in; now, I don't glory in roughing it, - let us just say that I am not a masochist - but can hack it if needed.

But yes, fine hotel, fine cellar and excellent restaurant - in a city centre - this is my idea of civilisation. The funny thing is, though, that if you do rough it a little (or circumstances oblige you to rough it somewhat), fine hotels are even more appreciated when you arrive at them.

Put it this way: On some missions, when local leave plans came up, I'll not embrace the wild (no hiking trips in scenic and steep and challenging mountains for me, - not as leisure - and if we must see the countryside, I prefer to view scenery from behind the windscreen of a motorcar, with a half decent hotel at the end of every day's journey); no, when taking leave in country, it is the city centre - preferably in the capital - for me; opera, cafés, cinemas, restaurants, museums, ancient castles. Asphalt beneath my feet.

And yes; if I ever do buy an iPhone (the SE is the only model that has ever interested me), it will be new. Agreed.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
No, international missions don't tend to use iPhones. They use much abused old phones, Nokias, usually, sometimes Samsungs.

However, if the sat phone - rather than the mobile, or cell, phone, had died that tragic and dramatic death, - the bloody thing was attached to my belt, and somehow escaped to its doom - matters could have been more serious.

You'd be surprised at some of the places I have worked in; now, I don't glory in roughing it, - let us just say that I am not a masochist - but can hack it if needed.

But yes, fine hotel, fine cellar and excellent restaurant - in a city centre - this is my idea of civilisation. The funny thing is, though, that if you do rough it a little (or circumstances oblige you to rough it somewhat), fine hotels are even more appreciated when you arrive at them.

Put it this way: On some missions, when local leave plans came up, I'll not embrace the wild (no hiking trips in scenic and steep and challenging mountains for me, - not as leisure - and if we must see the countryside, I prefer to view scenery from behind the windscreen of a motorcar, with a half decent hotel at the end of every day's journey); no, when taking leave in country, it is the city centre - preferably in the capital - for me; opera, cafés, cinemas, restaurants, museums, ancient castles. Asphalt beneath my feet.

And yes; if I ever do buy an iPhone (the SE is the only model that has ever entrusted me), it will be new. Agreed.
I always think that if it's a holiday, you want to improve your living acomadation for the week. So if you are used to a certain standard at home, for your week away (or two if your lucky), the acomadation should exceed what you are used to.
Now roughing it for work (in your case) or a photography trip is a bit different.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I always think that if it's a holiday, you want to improve your living acomadation for the week. So if you are used to a certain standard at home, for your week away (or two if your lucky), the acomadation should exceed what you are used to.
Now roughing it for work (in your case) or a photography trip is a bit different.

Improve, well, yes, agreed, that does matter, but I'll be honest: While I am exceedingly partial to four, or five star hotels, as long as a certain (decent) standard is met, location matters much more to me. In other words, I far prefer a small, less luxurious spot, where I am right in the city centre, to luxury miles away in the outer suburbs.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Improve, well, yes, agreed, that does matter, but I'll be honest: While I am exceedingly partial to four, or five star hotels, as long as a certain (decent) standard is met, location matters much more to me. In other words, I far prefer a small, less luxurious spot, where I am right in the city centre, to luxury miles away in the outer suburbs.
Actually yes location is important. As is a certain level of cleanliness.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It's still in the works. My flight lands and leaves in Venice. I know Florence will be included but debating if we should drive, take the train or a mixture of both in Tuscany. I hear a lot of cities they ban tourist from driving.

I think you heard wrong, at least from my experience. In 2011, we rented a car at the Rome Airport and drove down to Naples, Sienna, then up to Florence and all over Tuscany, including Pisa, the S. Italian Alps, no issues with driving restrictions. Now we went to a couple of small walled towns, where there was no driving inside, you parked outside and hoofed it in. These were small towns. Oh, yeah, Sienna was one of them, but having a car was the ultimate in convenience for the area we were covering on that trip.

One warning about driving in Italy. I came back with two traffic (camera) violations that arrived 4 months after my trip, that I have no idea what I did. Eventually I paid them (about $150). Italy is nice enough to have a web site to allow foreigners to conveniently help pay down their national debt. :rolleyes:

Next time I go there, if I rent a car an drive, I'll prep myself by googling and reading up on "how to avoid a ticket in Italy" Something like this: https://www.italybeyondtheobvious.com/dont-mess-with-ztl-zones

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
I think you heard wrong, at least from my experience. In 2011, we rented a car at the Rome Airport and drove down to Naples, Sienna, then up to Florence and all over Tuscany, including Pisa, the S. Italian Alps, no issues with driving restrictions. Now we went to a couple of small walled towns, where there was no driving inside, you parked outside and hoofed it in. These were small towns. Oh, yeah, Sienna was one of them, but having a car was the ultimate in convenience for the area we were covering on that trip.

One warning about driving in Italy. I came back with two traffic (camera) violations that arrived 4 months after my trip, that I have no idea what I did. Eventually I paid them (about $150). Italy is nice enough to have a web site to allow foreigners to conveniently help pay down their national debt. :rolleyes:

Next time I go there, if I rent a car an drive, I'll prep myself by googling and reading up on "how to avoid a ticket in Italy" Something like this: https://www.italybeyondtheobvious.com/dont-mess-with-ztl-zones

Your tickets might have been driving in the ZTL (tourist restricted zones or whatever they are in italian). ;)

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Your tickets might have been driving in the ZTL (tourist restricted zones or whatever they are in italian). ;)

How do they know you are a tourist, rental car tags?
[doublepost=1464184739][/doublepost]
My co-worker came back last week and he did drive in Italy, just not in cities with restricted ZTI.

Florence is a larger city, that you'd most likely have to drive into... With caution. ;)

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
How do they know you are a tourist, rental car tags?
Non-residents are prohibited from driving and...
The boundaries of the ZTL are marked by special road signs and have a series of ‘access points’ which are controlled by cameras that automatically detect the number plates of all the vehicles passing through.

This is what I got from a few research. I'm still looking into driving in Italy, but just don't know where, yet.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Finishing up two full days at Branson, Missouri, known as the U.S. Midwest's Family Vacation Destination. Anyone been there? It is a pretty location in the Ozark Mountains, For me (and spouse), this was a somewhat midway point to meet my Wife's brother and family to turn over a mobile electric chair (mentioned n another thread). Spent today at Silver Dollar City, a local amusement park in the woods on the side of a mountain. It was a pleasant environment. A lot of music venues featuring mostly country and yesterday's music, like a Beatles Show, bunches of Go Cart tracks, water parks, and other touristy attractions, Titanic Museum, Ripley's Believe It, Or Not, Hollywood Wax Museum, Dinosaur Museum, etc... not really my thing.

My primary critique is the the main drag of Branson is not equipped to handle the volume of traffic, even when it's a relativity low volume of traffic for a resort town.

Branson-Real-Estate-White-Water.jpg

Titanic_Museum_Branson-1024x768.jpg

Only in America? Did not go there... :p

zzdata-385_640x480.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.