Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DieOs

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
Try uninstalling again but this time make sure you also delete NCSetting's preference file located under '/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/'. Then reinstall.

1- did exactly that. Rebooted it after I deleted the plist, package from cydia and and folders in ifile. Reinstalled deb, respring. Stills says 1.7 version in cydia. No crashing, but if I go into settings>toggles, there are no toggles there

Brandon0448

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
I have no idea what I did but my phone is now stuck on 4G and will no longer connect to LTE. I was messing with the 3G toggle because i noticed that my LTE toggle turned back into the 3G toggle. Whenever I would enable 3G it would step down from LTE to 4G. I think I accidentally enabled 3G then reinstalled NCSettings thinking my tweak was just screwed up and now it is just stuck. I had 4 bars of LTE service where I am sitting and now I cant connect. When ever I try to disable the 3G toggle now it doesn't do anything! It will say 3G disabled then I will close NCSetting and reopen and its toggled back on.

I have already tried completely removing NCSetting and its plist file then reinstalling. No matter what I do I can't seem to get my phone to reconnect to LTE. Any help would be greatly appreciated considering I don't want to restore my phone again because I just got settled down with all the tweaks I want with my phone being completely stable.

Brandon0448

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
The developer has identified why some of us have no toggle settings—he says a .1 update will be forthcoming.

In the meantime, there's this fix for those who want to try it:

"As a temporary fix, you can add a number key to com.jamied360.ncsettings.plist called 'dataRateBehaviour'. 1 for LTE/3G, 2 for LTE/2G."

Nevermind this fixed it! Thanks!!!

Alveezy

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Hawaii
Springtomize>More>Settings Files

Or

IFile>var>mobile>library>preferences

Let me know if you have any questions.

can you take a screenshot of the code? i wanna see where you add the number key thingy? i'm not that good with coding but i can follow a simple step by step like copy and pasting this and that.

Brandon0448

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
can't find the .plist file. can someone comment and type a tutorial?

Once you find the file from the directory that was provided above you add this line of code to the bottom of the file.

<key>dataRateBehaviour</key>
<integer>1</integer>

Then save the file, respring and your done!

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I've never had a crash from NCSettings even when the dev said that it caused lots of crashes, including this version.

to me, the crashing from version 1.7.1 was not crashing into safe mode but at random times, it causes zephyr and my notification center to stop working. the ENTIRE notification center! which was quite annoying. Fortunately, I have SBSettings and I used that to respring for zephyr and my notification center along with ncsettings to start working again

installed version 1.6.2 back using the .deb and no problems ever since

edit: nevermind, it seemed the notification center and zephyr stopped working because of the KillBackground tweak

Last edited:

Brandon0448

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
can you take a screenshot of the code? i wanna see where you add the number key thingy? i'm not that good with coding but i can follow a simple step by step like copy and pasting this and that.

I'm on my phone and can't upload a picture for you but I posted the code above. Just make it fit in with the rest of the code in the file. It can be placed anywhere in the bottom around the lines that start with <key>.

Alveezy

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Hawaii
I'm on my phone and can't upload a picture for you but I posted the code above. Just make it fit in with the rest of the code in the file. It can be placed anywhere in the bottom around the lines that start with <key>.

thanks! i copy pasted the code and my LTE toggle is back on!
Mahalo's man haha!

gigel

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2013
workaround for 3GS on 5.1.1

on 3GS/ios 5.1.1 with NCS version 1.7.1 the 3G toggle is intentionally (I believe) removed from configuration. Adding it manually in com.jamied360.ncsettings.plist activates a warning message displayed when clicking an exclamation sign shown in preferences next to 3g toggle. Clicking the toggle gets Springboard into 70..100% cpu usage, which basically means it hangs.

Solved by replacing /var/mobile/Library/NCSettings/Toggles/3G/Toggle.dylib with the file from com.jamied360.ncsettings_1.6.2_iphoneos-arm.deb referenced earlier on this thread. many thanks to whom it posted.

I would not recommend doing this without some basic ssh/linux command line knowledge. If someone cares enough to translate this into tapping/clicking language, feel free.
Hope this is useful to someone else using a 3GS on 5.1.1 reading this thread.

Cheers.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
on 3GS/ios 5.1.1 with NCS version 1.7.1 the 3G toggle is intentionally (I believe) removed from configuration. Adding it manually in com.jamied360.ncsettings.plist activates a warning message displayed when clicking an exclamation sign shown in preferences next to 3g toggle. Clicking the toggle gets Springboard into 70..100% cpu usage, which basically means it hangs.

Solved by replacing /var/mobile/Library/NCSettings/Toggles/3G/Toggle.dylib with the file from com.jamied360.ncsettings_1.6.2_iphoneos-arm.deb referenced earlier on this thread. many thanks to whom it posted.

I would not recommend doing this without some basic ssh/linux command line knowledge. If someone cares enough to translate this into tapping/clicking language, feel free.
Hope this is useful to someone else using a 3GS on 5.1.1 reading this thread.

Cheers.

Open the link in safari to deb I posted earlier in this thread, tap on "open in iFile", then tap installer. Respring and done! Just make sure to remove any previous version installed.

Thanks for the 3gs update on 5.1.1!

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Got 1.7.0 and installed after following oreviously posted instructions. Thanks for that!

but my settings are still crashing and the location service and wifi don't seem to work, or at least the icons don't appear. Where can I get the 1.6.2?
So this is why we should "stay away" from the recent NCSettings? I'm not having any of these problems with the latest fw and my 5

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
So this is why we should "stay away" from the recent NCSettings? I'm not having any of these problems with the latest fw and my 5

It was affecting the 4S mostly (most issues I know of were on GSM models but there could be others affected as well) since the 1.7 update was for LTE devices. It was a train wreck on my 4S. Reverted back to 1.6.2 and I haven't crashed since. I haven't bothered updating to the new 1.7.1 version since it has no new features other than the LTE toggle which is obviously useless for my 4S. Hope this helps clarify things.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
It was affecting the 4S mostly (most issues I know of were on GSM models but there could be others affected as well) since the 1.7 update was for LTE devices. It was a train wreck on my 4S. Reverted back to 1.6.2 and I haven't crashed since. I haven't bothered updating to the new 1.7.1 version since it has no new features other than the LTE toggle which is obviously useless for my 4S. Hope this helps clarify things.
That explains it, switched over from SBSettings to NCSettings wanted to make sure it wasn't memory leak or something bad with the recent version. Good luck to you guys with the 4's hopefully things are sorted with a recent update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.