Stay with AT&T or switch to Sprint?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by upsguy27, Oct 7, 2011.

1. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

So, with the release of the 4S, I've been thinking about how much I'm spending at AT&T and how much I could be saving. Right now, with four lines (two that are completely unused - long story) on AT&T, I'm spending about $200 a month with unlimited messaging for the whole plan, the lowest possible number of minutes, 200MB data for one line, 4GB w/tethering for my line, the two extra lines for $10 each, and this is all discounted by a government employee discount.

Now, looking at Sprint, I could get even better (unlimited messages + data) for only $150, and get rid of those two unneeded lines. So, with a savings of over $800 in a year, it's an obvious choice.

However, like I said earlier, I'm roped into a contract with all four lines. After calculating the ETF for each line minus how long each contract has been going on for, the total ETF for all lines comes out to $1,000 exactly. Now, I can't decide if it's worth it to spend $1,000 now to save much more than that in the coming years.

Alternatively, I could move the two lines that are actually being used to Sprint, pay only $440 for an ETF, and keep paying the bare minimum on the two extra lines on AT&T until the ETF becomes more manageable? As a way to break up the costs. Is this a better or worse idea?

So, what do you guys think?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

How in the world did you rack up 4 lines on contract? Did you just open new lines as new iPhones came out?

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I think you should bite the bullet and seriously simplify your calling plans...

4. 50thVert macrumors regular

I think your worst idea was getting all those contracts, for whatever reason.

Cut your losses, pay the ETFs, switch to sprint, and don't open any new lines.

5. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Yep... I was stupid and decided to open them up in order to do an upgrade swap... thinking, oh, how much is $10 extra a month really?

So, I should do it? I was thinking that.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I for one, would suggest you ask friends to join you in your family plan. Make them pay something like $25 to cover the $10/month fee and minute/text charges.

That way you all win because you will all be saving lots of $$.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

First see if Sprint actually works in your area, and the areas that you travel often.

8. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Y'know, I actually did think about that and tried to ask around, but never got anyone who was interested. :/

Most of the people I know, as it turns out, already are on Sprint. Whoops.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well, to be honest, if you switch you won't see much savings. The problem is all four lines are tied down.

Also, assume you'd be saving a bit, the upfront cost of $1000 ETFs is no laughing joke. I would rather stay and wait and try to get friends.

10. smigit2002 macrumors newbie

A little bit of googling has led me to this site:
    http://www.trademycellular.com/

Apparently you should be able to transfer your service to a third party with the right paperwork.