Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you like your steak cooked?

• Raw

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Blue/Blood rare

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • Rare

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • Medium-rare

Votes: 92 39.3%
  • Medium

Votes: 45 19.2%
  • Medium well

Votes: 31 13.2%
  • Well done

Votes: 27 11.5%

• Total voters

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Blue when I'm at home or when the restaurant will serve it*. Otherwise rare, as rare as they'll do it.

*some places won't serve it.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I like mine Blacken and crispy.

When someone asks how I want any type of meat cooked I always tell them 'burnt.'

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
Blue whenever I cook for myself. I generally find that in restaurants they overcook it by a grade, so it is always slightly more well done than you wanted. Probably a sign that I don't go to good enough restaurants...

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I forgot to mention my all-time favorite, Steak Tartare. For those who don't know, it's lightly ground raw London Broil with capers, raw egg, spicy french mustard, a bit of bread crumbs, lemon, worchestershire and a few other things. It's the best steak you'll ever eat.

For those of you who think it sounds nasty, go ahead and give it a try sometime. It's amazing.

montanachad

macrumors regular
I forgot to mention my all-time favorite, Steak Tartare. For those who don't know, it's lightly ground raw London Broil with capers, raw egg, spicy french mustard, a bit of bread crumbs, lemon, worchestershire and a few other things. It's the best steak you'll ever eat.

For those of you who think it sounds nasty, go ahead and give it a try sometime. It's amazing.

I certainly sir, thank you for the suggestion.:cool:

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
I'm a well done kinda guy.

Admittedly a little pink does make it taste better, but I just can't get my brain around eating bloody meat.

Nasty.

I grew up on steak and potatoes (we always had a cow in the freezer :)), but my wife can't stomach beef (literally makes her sick) so steak is now a rare treat at a restaurant rather than a staple of life.

Sad. :(

powerdave

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2004
Hamburg
At this point we would hang the steer from the hind quarters to finish the bleed out using a small tractor with a front scoop. It makes it easy to elevate the steer via hydraulics.

Ah just like they did it back in the olden days...

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
One of my kids had his first big date at a fancy restaurant, saw steak tartare on the menu, thought it sounded good and then got the surprise of his life.

I think how well things are cooked is regional. Around here, medium rare is rare in the middle and a little crispy on the outside and that is my choice.

Eating out is my chance to try food that I couldn't cook myself. I generally order the weirdest food on the menu, rather than steak. The last one was an additional-charge special for Kobe beef. That was indeed very special and there was no discussion of how it should be cooked. It came pretty rare and damned good.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Somewhere between medium and medium rare, usually. Although, I will say that if a steak is prepared properly, it don't much matter what temperature it is. A well done steak can still be as succulent and juicy as a medium rare steak.

I have found that I do not have the palate for a $75 steak over a $35 steak. I tried, I think, an A1 Kobe filet at Ruth's Chris once and couldn't tell the difference between that and their regular filet. It is good to know that now. :)

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
Hmmmm now that's worth trying! What kind of whisky, is it more like Jack Daniels or Canadian club? How long do you marinate?

I use Johnny Walker, Black Label or older. Last time I used Green Label as that's what I have at the moment. What I do is take a fork and poke some holes throughout, especially if it's a thicker steak, then let it sit in the marinade for about 15-20 minutes per side. I also give it a light dusting of Emeril's Essence right before it goes on the grill - coals, not gas.

On a side and somewhat tangential note, I was in Costa Rica last Christmas and passed on the chance to get a bottle of Blue Label for $120 from the duty-free shop. I'm still kicking myself.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
I use Johnny Walker, Black Label or older. Last time I used Green Label as that's what I have at the moment. What I do is take a fork and poke some holes throughout, especially if it's a thicker steak, then let it sit in the marinade for about 15-20 minutes per side. I also give it a light dusting of Emeril's Essence right before it goes on the grill - coals, not gas.
Thanks for the info! I honestly wasn't thinking blends of that caliber, one of my closest friends has a grill and is also a scotch fan I think I'll call him up and offer to buy the steaks. :)

On a side and somewhat tangential note, I was in Costa Rica last Christmas and passed on the chance to get a bottle of Blue Label for $120 from the duty-free shop. I'm still kicking myself.
Dude. NO! :( I just checked, the LCBO (Ontario's Liquour store) lists Johnnie Walker Blue Label at $240, $690 if you were looking at the King George V blend.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Depends on the steak. Fine steaks I eat rare. Others I'll eat medium. I'll occasionally grind my own burger meat so I can have medium rare burgers.

I like to keep it simple. One of my all-time favorites is pepper-crusted filet mignon with a pat of herbed butter on top. Simmer the pepper in oil for a few minutes to tame the heat, then rub the oily pepper on the filets and sear for about two minutes each side in a rippingly hot pan. Then into the oven for a couple more minutes to let it get to the temperature you want (I aim for about 120-125 degrees F for rare).

BTW, temperature is a much better method of determining "doneness" than any other, particularly for those who don't cook steaks on a very regular basis.

I also highly recommend using a thermometer when cooking any other meat as well. Chicken breasts get dry quickly above 160 degrees, while your thighs and legs should reach 170 degrees. Pork is best at about 150 even though the USDA recommends going a little higher. I got a nice probe thermometer that can go into the oven or BBQ that gives you a constant reading. It even has an alarm that goes off at the preset temperature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.