Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you like your steak cooked?

• Raw

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Blue/Blood rare

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • Rare

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • Medium-rare

Votes: 92 39.3%
  • Medium

Votes: 45 19.2%
  • Medium well

Votes: 31 13.2%
  • Well done

Votes: 27 11.5%

• Total voters

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Depends on the steak. Fine steaks I eat rare. Others I'll eat medium. I'll occasionally grind my own burger meat so I can have medium rare burgers.

I like to keep it simple. One of my all-time favorites is pepper-crusted filet mignon with a pat of herbed butter on top. Simmer the pepper in oil for a few minutes to tame the heat, then rub the oily pepper on the filets and sear for about two minutes each side in a rippingly hot pan. Then into the oven for a couple more minutes to let it get to the temperature you want (I aim for about 120-125 degrees F for rare).

BTW, temperature is a much better method of determining "doneness" than any other, particularly for those who don't cook steaks on a very regular basis.

I also highly recommend using a thermometer when cooking any other meat as well. Chicken breasts get dry quickly above 160 degrees, while your thighs and legs should reach 170 degrees. Pork is best at about 150 even though the USDA recommends going a little higher. I got a nice probe thermometer that can go into the oven or BBQ that gives you a constant reading. It even has an alarm that goes off at the preset temperature.

I agree with all you said cuz that is exactly the way I do it! Yeah, us.

Note that most of the tv cooks tell you to cook at the USDA recommendations, but if you listen carefully, they often mutter out something about it being better cooked less. Their lawyers are probably making them toe the govt line. Those standards, especially the pork ones, were for the days when there were a lot more problems with diseased animals and uncertain cold storage.

The bad stuff can't survive 137 degrees. And most people don't have their steaks cooked that much and still survive just fine.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yes, it is. Expensive and very good. They feed the cow beer and massage them often.

I wish they did that to me. :( I did not get the same hospitality in Kobe.

Is Kobe beef really all that? And what is Steak Tartare? Raw?

Awesome, although as much as I love beef and steak, it's hard for me to tell the difference between Kobe beef and cheaper (but still expensive), mid-grade beef from other regions in Japan.

I'll tell you something though: All the best beef I've ever eaten in my life has been while in Japan. :)

I have found that I do not have the palate for a $75 steak over a $35 steak. I tried, I think, an A1 Kobe filet at Ruth's Chris once and couldn't tell the difference between that and their regular filet. It is good to know that now. :)

Then it wasn't Kobe beef. No way. ;)

I do have to say, the last time I went to a steakhouse (not my idea), three of the four $40-50 steaks were overcooked. Two went back, and I just dealt with mine (A filet mignon that was supposed to be medium minus or something like that... ended up being between medium well and well) and the other two returned theirs....

That always happens in restaurants. That's why I order a rare when I really want a medium rare. :eek:

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
I would have to say I like mine between Medium Rare and Medium with a slight lean more towards Medium, although then again, it really depends on the particular circumstances.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Medium rare. No sauces, or A1, or any of that garbage.

The best steaks always come from home, but my absolute favorite steak house is Dickie Brenan's Steak house in New Orleans.

Steak Frites at Cafe Luxembourg in Manhattan is pretty hard to beat as well.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
When I have Steak (Every other day LoL) I have it rare although no were matches the kind of steak I had in Sardinia man that was nice, I hope to go back there soon so I can eat it again, it restaurant was near Alghero just up the road from it (5 minute walk) next to holiday flats (Can't remember the name but I know exactly where it is located for my next visit).

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
I like mine Medium-rare, but seared on both sides first to lock in the flavour.

Damn I wish I had a BBQ at my place... fire code/condo rules prevent it. :(

Sear it on the stove top in a pan that is just about to burn the house down. Then pop it in the oven to finish it to the desired temp. Other than the grilled flavor, you will get a great turn out just about every time. The thing to keep in mind here is HEAT HEAT HEAT HEAT. Its gotta be HOT. Not hot=bad steak.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Medium, marinated beforehand in four parts worcestershire, four parts whisky, one part liquid smoke.
That sounds good. :)

My brother has a mean sauce, unfortunately, he won't share it with me. Over the years, I've seen some of the ingredients such as wine, and Worcestershire. But have no idea of all of them, let alone the ratios.

I forgot to mention my all-time favorite, Steak Tartare. For those who don't know, it's lightly ground raw London Broil with capers, raw egg, spicy french mustard, a bit of bread crumbs, lemon, worchestershire and a few other things. It's the best steak you'll ever eat.
Reminds me of Yukhoe.

Very very very very very ... very good when fresh! :)

Not hot=bad steak.
Disagree here. Warm on the outside is fine. Don't need hot.

kwk1

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
Canada
I prefer medium-rare and also to cook my own.

Attachments

• IMG_0278.jpg
    IMG_0278.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0279.jpg
    IMG_0279.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 44

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
^^^No thanks. :p I have never bought a meal for myself that expensive, and I probably won't again for a long, long time. At the time, a 210 g (7 oz) Kobe steak cost around $65 USD, I think.

@Kwk1: To me, that's a medium. :eek:

I guess it really depends on how you define it.

kwk1

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
Canada
^^^No thanks. :p I have never bought a meal for myself that expensive, and I probably won't again for a long, long time. At the time, a 210 g (7 oz) Kobe steak cost around $65 USD, I think.

@Kwk1: To me, that's a medium. :eek:

I guess it really depends on how you define it.

Looks can be deceiving as well as everyones definition.

I go as well by temp., med.-rare is suppose to be (130*-140*F)

I'm doing some up tonight, it'll be dark but I'll try and get some pics.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO

Yeah, I don't treat myself very often at all. My best friend was leaving for Antarctica in a few days and I happened to spend about $100 less the night before than I had expected, so it was a good opportunity to splurge.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I prefer medium-rare and also to cook my own.

Definitely agree with cooking your own. Our new grill has "sear burners" and I'm ust getting the hang of how to use them - I think I've almost got it. It does add a nice dimension to grilling to have that option.

Damn, now I want steak tonight!

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Looks can be deceiving as well as everyones definition.

I go as well by temp., med.-rare is suppose to be (130*-140*F)

I'm doing some up tonight, it'll be dark but I'll try and get some pics.
Disagree.

If you know your fire (source of heat), and you know your steak, then you know how long to cook without doing the temperature thing.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
If you know your fire (source of heat), and you know your steak, then you know how long to cook without doing the temperature thing.

I was once told (though I've never used it) of a method to determine the doneness of steak by feel.

If you touch the tip of your thumb to the tip of your index finger and feel the fleshy area of your hand between the two, a rare steak would have the same feel. As you move your thumb to your other fingers, you'll notice the tone of the flesh gets increasingly firm.

Touching the tip of your thumb to your pinkie would be the feel of a well done steak.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I forgot to mention my all-time favorite, Steak Tartare. For those who don't know, it's lightly ground raw London Broil with capers, raw egg, spicy french mustard, a bit of bread crumbs, lemon, worchestershire and a few other things. It's the best steak you'll ever eat.

For those of you who think it sounds nasty, go ahead and give it a try sometime. It's amazing.

Cheers mate, you made me want that now :D
I've only ever had proper steak once and it was ruddy nice. And after seeing that M&S advert with Piers Morgan (and Lee's post :p) I'd love some now.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I like mine still mooing.

And no condiments either. Putting anything on a good steak should be a crime punishable by death.

LeahM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2008
I can't eat it if it bleeds. So usually medium is okay for me because the definition that I get the most is, pink on the inside.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.