OS Neutral Steam Games

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Huntn, Dec 17, 2014.

1. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

SteamCloud is an opt in feature so it depends on the game. Most newer games support this but games will massive save files like the Total War series (each save being ~20 to 50MB) won't sync the saves. You can however see if this option is being used in the game properties and on the Steam store page.

2. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I'll check that out. Thanks! Big game saves? The ARK Survival Evolved solo game save is 2.5 Gb. I presume Stream cloud is not saving those. I make my own backups. Too much work to have it evaporate on me. :)

3. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Orion: Prelude (Steam)- Mechs, Tanks, Jetpacks, and Dinos for $1. Waves of aggressive dinos attack! Anyone playing this? Can you go wrong for $1? ;) Well I'm fairly hard core into ARK: Survival Evolved (which is Mac/Windows), so I took a chance on dino mayhem... will report back. Trying to figure out if this is a MMO setting, multiple independent servers, and/or solo game.

[​IMG]

4. EdwardSmith36 macrumors regular

No I'm new here, I haven't checked it yet! The Hunter: Primal, pre-release version seems quite interesting. I would love to play this game as soon as possible.

5. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Welcome to MRs! :)

Hunter: Primal sounds and looks interesting. Have you played ARK: Survival Evolved? That's what I'd compare it to. ARK is outstanding, played solo and better yet as part of a tribe. For HP, I read the first page of reviews- mixed. Questions I would ask, can you build? Can you tame? Can you use your tamed dinos as attack dogs? There is an ARK thread and ARK Guide threads in this forum.

6. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Looked at my Steam Queue, where they try to push new games on me, 95% were Early Access Sandbox, survival, sandbox, and/or PVP games. They all look they they are trying to do the same kind of thing... Most of them, I'd be hesitant to jump into. For exotic, I have ARK:Survival Evolved and for Ocean, Subnautica. Those are the benchmarks I'm comparing most of them with. A Mid-evil sandbox game, kind of boring in comparison. ;)

Well I've played this and can take it or leave it. With a group, it could be an entertaining diversion.

7. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Don't know if this has all ready been mentioned in this forum, but I saw a blurb at Steam which directed me this Rock, Paper, Shotgun link regarding System Shock 3 announcement. :):)

[​IMG]

8. Huntn, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

American Truck Simulator- $20. Anyone playing? I don't see the appeal of driving a truck from point A to B, but maybe this game is intended to play somewhat like Railroad Tycoon II Platinum (which can be purchased on Steam for $4.99 but unfortunately is only offered for Windows), where you are managing loads and route development? Of interest when I look at the RR Tycoon screenshots, it's looking kind of dated. For trains, something more modern would be Trainz:A New Area which includes a Mac version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    RRTycoon 2 Platinum

[​IMG]
    TrainZ A New Era
    I also stumbled across Rise of the Tomb Raider. Looks Awesome. :)

9. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I enjoyed Tomb Raider quite a lot, when Rise of the Tomb Raider goes on sale I'll pick it up.

10. Huntn, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2016

Huntn

Holy Crap Turok, release date 1997 is now available on Steam. But, but the graphics are severely dated. Does it matter? Yeah, it represents a special time in my gaming life, but I'll probably pass even at $10 (sale), :)

[​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Apr 22, 2016 ---
    The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on Steam- did anyone play this? I'd like to know if it's an open world of if there are invisible walls and alleys? I've never liked those type of limits. Thanks!

Update: Reports online- not an open world, say like Skyrim.

[​IMG]

One impressive trailer:

11. antonis macrumors 68000

antonis

With no exaggeration, Wild Hunt is one of the best games ever made. You just need to be in the game world and you'll just get at once why. Its second - and bigger - expansion is also around the corner.

12. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm going to keep an eye out for this on sale at Steam.

13. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Steam Sharing- Just discovered this and it's cool. :D

Just jumped into The Forest, a survival sandbox, fight off the cannibals. Anyone playing? Impressions requested.

[​IMG]

Also recently started playing Cities: Skylines. Not a bad Sim City clone. :D

[​IMG]

14. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

Thinking of trying out Space Hulk sometime this summer. Just waiting for a sale.

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Thought I missed out on TRON RUN/r sale but it is on sale again...

God, I hate Steam... :eek:

;)

16. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I used to use Steam sharing quite a bit--haven't lately though. Cities: Skylines is a very good game! Is that your city, @Huntn?

17. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

No it's not. I've found that I don't like the kind of city I end up with following a budget, so after 3 tries, I turned the money spicket on so I can plan the city the way I like and not worry about taxing my citizens to death. Yes, it's cheating. :)

18. panda76 macrumors member

19. Huntn, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016

Huntn

Don't miss Resident Evil 6, for $8 on Steam during the Summer Sale (for the next 41 hrs of this posting, Windows only :(). You can't beat that price for a fun game, especially coop. And you can move while you shoot. It's got a Walking Dead vibe. :D:D

[​IMG]
    The Forest- $11.99

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I was sadly unable to do so... :eek:

:)

21. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I may be confusing one of the Resident Evil chapters with a zombie shooter on a tropical island, where to aim your weapon, the game locked you in place. Was that a Resudent Evil or a Dead Island? Which ever, I played it briefly and after playing the most wonderful Left4Dead, was indignant at this mechanic.

Thumbs up for Skyrim, Bioshock, Borderlands, Civilization, and Portal! :D

22. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

I completely lost control of myself during this Summer Sale. So much that I bought a new PC to play stuff on.

23. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

24. Suture, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016

Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

Bought -- actually this is the first time I haven't built a PC from scratch. I don't currently have a PC desktop and I sold my fully optioned out 27" iMac, so I decided to try out something different.

I know many don't like Alienware, but I had no issues with the build quality or anything on the AW13 I had for a little while. I wound up ordering an Alienware Area-51 (6 core, 16GB RAM, 2 TB spin HD, dual 970s). I have a nice Asus 1440P 27" display at home I'll be hooking it up to and picked up a 1TB SSD also to toss in. I'd never pay their asking prices. I found a very nice 30% coupon and called to get another 10% knocked off... and then another 5%.