Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlnr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2010
The Steam Deck can use Steam or not. It's a PC, you can do whatever you want with it, even running other launchers and operating systems. You can even wipe the OS and install Windows on it should you so choose, Valve is just "knock yourself out, it's your device"
I know that Valve markets the Steam Deck as "it's a PC", but I don't think it's really helpful. So is the Mac! Neither Windows nor Linux (except SteamOS) have full driver support on the Steam Deck OLED yet.

The Steam Deck is only really good for SteamOS, which makes it surprisingly easy to run Windows games on Linux. If a game works on SteamOS right now, then it will probably work indefinitely, no matter what Microsoft does or does not support in Windows. And this part of SteamOS is open source too.

This is why I keep saying GPTK has been a gamechanger, not for the developer tools in it, but for the compatibility layer in it. Apple solved the game compatibility problem with macOS at WWDC and don't even realize it. All it would take is improvements to the Wine Wrapper in GPTK and changes to the license to make Mac gaming as viable as it is on Windows and Linux.
If SteamOS is any indication, then it will be 90% great and 10% confusing. Sometimes a game releases a patch that works on Windows, but inadvertently breaks compatibility with Proton (the Linux counterpart of GPTK). I don't think Apple will accept the 10% that randomly don't work. It's just not a polished, Nintendo-like experience. I also doubt Apple has a single C-level executive who understands non-mobile gaming, but that's just a gut feeling.

Now back to my beloved Steam Deck (docked mode on TV)...100€ bought me a dozen fantastic games during the Black Friday sale.

Last edited:
Reactions: caiosimonbreda

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
They still make games lmao. Did people seriously forget about Half Life Alyx?
Ahh yes, a game they released only for VR headsets and was initially only playable with one. (I realize it was eventually hacked to play on a desktop but still.)

Valve just doesn't care as much as they used to. Selling other people's games is like a firehose of low-effort cash for them; why would they?

I remember the mid-to-late 00s; it was hit after hit. Half life 2, TF2, Portal, Portal 2, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2... The golden age of talent at Valve was unlike any other. Then the money firehose from the Steam store started flowing and that was it; the motivation was no longer there.

Sorry for the rant, I just get angry when I'm reminded of this. Such a great loss.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
What about the half-life series and source games? Valve has their own studio, no?
How about providing enough investment funds to entice valve to seriously update their own games?
Operating systems should support all software indefinitely. Sometimes you spent money on software two decades ago, but it would still work great today, if it still was supported. I do not want to buy new software just because of the operating system, as I hate any kind of updates. I still run Photoshop CS2, which is 18 years old.
Windows does almost this and x86 has been as long as it can be.
On the other hand, tech does move forward and innovation sometimes come at painful costs.
I am against updates too, but I still have to update from time to time because current version isn’t working properly.
Emulation is the only way forward to help revive the old software and make them useable in modern operating systems.
Love that Steam is effectively trying to blame Apple for their decision 😂
It’s not them cutting 32-bit support. It’s Apple. Obviously it’s Apple’s fault for all of this to happen today.
EXACTLY, they had YEARS to update their games and they still haven't.
Yeah and YEARS to see if macOS player base ever tick up to a level worth of them to consider updating their games to 64-bit. It never happened. I blame customer base For not showing enough support.
Maybe you need to consider lobbying valve for 64-bit support?

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Ahh yes, a game they released only for VR headsets and was initially only playable with one. (I realize it was eventually hacked to play on a desktop but still.)

Valve just doesn't care as much as they used to. Selling other people's games is like a firehose of low-effort cash for them; why would they?

I remember the mid-to-late 00s; it was hit after hit. Half life 2, TF2, Portal, Portal 2, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2... The golden age of talent at Valve was unlike any other. Then the money firehose from the Steam store started flowing and that was it; the motivation was no longer there.

Sorry for the rant, I just get angry when I'm reminded of this. Such a great loss.

Yep, Steam is Valve’s cash cow. Valve had around $13 billion in total revenue in 2022 and about $10 billion of that was from the Steam store. Almost 80% of their income comes from selling games.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Just got an OLED Deck... but really I had been quite satisfied with Whisky and GPTK... which is essentially what Steam does with Proton to get Windows games working on the linux-based Deck...

Though Mac now also has the x86 to Arm translation via Rosetta 2 to do, which isn't so bad but AVX extensions aren't supported so some games don't work...

Also really wish Apple supported Vulkan rather than going their own way with MetalFX... if only to leverage whats being done for Steamdeck in the Linux space. Otherwise GPTK does good DX12 to Metal translation.

Throw in a PS5 for AAA games, the Deck for portable and PC specific games and Mac for everyday computing tasks and you have a pretty solid combination.

That will be my setup, have a Deck, getting a PS5 from Father Christmas, getting a Mac as soon as I have the money. I have a Switch Lite too but may sell that, funny thing is I was going to sell my Steam Deck as I wanted to cut back on devices and it wasn’t getting used, but I have played some games in it, then I decided to play Half Life 25th Anniversary Edition on it and I have been hooked since lol. So it’s staying in fact I may upgrade to the OLED model.

Reactions: jlnr

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
To the people complaining. Mojave is a 5 years old OS!

I don’t think many typical users are still on that version of MacOS.

My desktop is a Mac Pro 5,1 running Mojave along with bootcamp (Windows 10). It has a AMD Radeon HD 7950 in it which is old but performs well. Both Mac games (Intel based)(including older 32 bit games) and Windows 10 games run fine on it.

I understand why Steam can not longer support it but Steam should allow me to run the 32 bit games offline including DLC (some games and many DLC will not run offline).

• Love
Reactions: foliovision

Skyscraperfan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2021
Windows does almost this and x86 has been as long as it can be.
On the other hand, tech does move forward and innovation sometimes come at painful costs.
I am against updates too, but I still have to update from time to time because current version isn’t working properly.
Emulation is the only way forward to help revive the old software and make them useable in modern operating systems.
The operating system should support the software though, not the other way around. Just think 500 years into the future. Wouldn't it be great if people then could still use all software from today? If software is already unusable after decades, a lot is lost. A book can still be read after centuries, even if the languages changed slightly. Music will also survive forever. The same should be true with software.

It also annoys me very much if new image formats arrive all the time. I decided to stick with JPEG and that does the job very well. I do not need a smaller file size, if storage sizes and internet speed get larger and larger. I hope browsers will forever support JPEGs, even if the get out of fashion.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
It wasn't a problem until Mojave and Catalina showed up, as the requirement for app notarization, the axing of 32 bit app support without offering a compatibility mode for legacy software, and forcing everyone to use Metal when everyone was moving to DirectX 12 and Vulkan, kinda threw a wrench into everything. But hey this is Apple we're talking about, they love throwing wrenches into their software and hardware and make others have to pick it up, like not including a charger with their damn phones or serializing parts to make it more difficult for third party repair shops to do something as simple as a glass replacement
At the same time, Apple's ruthless adherence to pushing their platforms forward, do tend to make them more stable.

My partner has a Windows 11 PC and whilst it's great that you can run steam games from 2010 (with mods) like Fallout New Vegas, Windows always feels like it has a load of crud beneath the hood, to its overall detriment.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
The operating system should support the software though, not the other way around. Just think 500 years into the future. Wouldn't it be great if people then could still use all software from today? If software is already unusable after decades, a lot is lost. A book can still be read after centuries, even if the languages changed slightly. Music will also survive forever. The same should be true with software.

It also annoys me very much if new image formats arrive all the time. I decided to stick with JPEG and that does the job very well. I do not need a smaller file size, if storage sizes and internet speed get larger and larger. I hope browsers will forever support JPEGs, even if the get out of fashion.
The hope I guess, is that with cloud OSs, we can have various ageing OSs running with old software in the cloud in VMs.

Far safer for everyone and old software gets preserved.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Do people still use 32bit computers?

I remember my late 2008 macbook was about when Apple started moving over to 64bit.

If you haven't upgraded your computer then that's on you. And why are you trying to game on an old 32bit computer lol
The first 64 bit Macs were released in 2003 and by late 2006 all Macs used 64 bit hardware. But they were all backwards compatible with 32 bit code, which therefore remained common long after this date. Apple removed 32 bit software support in 2019 with the release of macOS Catalina. And since Steam is now dropping support for older versions of macOS, they will also drop 32 bit software for Mac.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
The hope I guess, is that with cloud OSs, we can have various ageing OSs running with old software in the cloud in VMs.

Far safer for everyone and old software gets preserved.
If anything, cloud OS will NOT support running older operating systems, cause whoever hosting them don’t want to become easy target of hackers as they already have a big target at their back.

Reactions: MRMSFC

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Do people still use 32bit computers?

I remember my late 2008 macbook was about when Apple started moving over to 64bit.

If you haven't upgraded your computer then that's on you. And why are you trying to game on an old 32bit computer lol

Until MacOS 10.15, the 64 bit computers could run 32 bit software (i.e. most if not all the people complaining about this Steam change have 64 bit computers).

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Gabe will never love you, I’m sorry.

Gabe isn't even my waifu. The cybernetic ninja and our only insurance policy against the upcoming alien incursion John Carmack is

MV5BOGZiNzhkNzgtZDdiOS00NDY4LWE0NjktNjM2YWI2MDRkMWQyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUxMjc1OTM@._V1_.jpg
carmackoculus1.png

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I know that Valve markets the Steam Deck as "it's a PC", but I don't think it's really helpful. So is the Mac! Neither Windows nor Linux (except SteamOS) have full driver support on the Steam Deck OLED yet.

Uhh...Windows has had driver support for the Steam Deck for a while now. Microsoft has support articles for using Windows on the Deck and also how to access Xbox Game Pass for Cloud on the Deck.

The Steam Deck is only really good for SteamOS, which makes it surprisingly easy to run Windows games on Linux. If a game works on SteamOS right now, then it will probably work indefinitely, no matter what Microsoft does or does not support in Windows. And this part of SteamOS is open source too.

That's more a Windows problem, which Microsoft even admitted and internally they're working on a handheld PC mode for Windows so Windows works better on the Steam Deck and other handheld PCs like the ASUS ROG Ally.

If SteamOS is any indication, then it will be 90% great and 10% confusing. Sometimes a game releases a patch that works on Windows, but inadvertently breaks compatibility with Proton (the Linux counterpart of GPTK). I don't think Apple will accept the 10% that randomly don't work. It's just not a polished, Nintendo-like experience. I also doubt Apple has a single C-level executive who understands non-mobile gaming, but that's just a gut feeling.

What we have right now isn't even a polished experience. macOS has had so many problems as of late not just for games but for minor things like audio. Mac Gaming's at rock bottom constantly the butt of every joke in the game industry so we literally have nothing to lose if we try it.

Now back to my beloved Steam Deck (docked mode on TV)...100€ bought me a dozen fantastic games during the Black Friday sale.

I hope one of them is Persona 5 Royal. I will not rest until everyone in this forum plays that masterpiece.

qfpd69e7k7v31.png

There's also Aperture Desk Job to showcase the tech of the Steam Deck, there's the Portal Companion Collection for Nintendo Switch, we just got Counter Strike 2, and they have two more games in development: Neon Prime and Half Life Citadel

And as an aside Team Fortress 2 is getting major updates again with new gamemodes and Half Life 1 just got a big update to celebrate it's 25th anniversary.

If Valve really didn't care, they would not have made the Steam Deck and that big anniversary update for Half Life 1. You're just mad that their games aren't on Mac anymore. If there's anyone you should be mad at for that, it's Apple, not Valve.

Again, the only thing that got lost is Mac support. Valve is making games again as Neon Prime and Half Life Citadel are well into development. Plus they're working on things even bigger than games. VR and a whole handheld PC and Linux OS are big things that only make the industry better. The Deck alone has been a revolution as now every PC OEM is scrambling to make their own handheld gaming PCs to try to 1up Valve's, which in turn is creating competition with brand new hardware form factors.

MRMSFC

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2023
And as an aside Team Fortress 2 is getting major updates again with new gamemodes
Ok, this one is pure ********.

“Major updates” for TF2 have not been made by Valve since 2017, and have just included content made by community contributors. This includes VSH, which existed as a mod more than a decade ago.

The bug fixes post “saveTF2” were made by a single contract developer and not Valve proper.

FFS the most work on TF2 comes from trolls who host bots that spam racial slurs and kill everyone instantly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.