Steve Jobs Acknowledges MobileMe Missteps

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by Apple Ink, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Article Link: ArsTechnica

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

Sounds like a polite yet firm way of saying "heads will roll if this isn't fixed."

3. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Neither is Windows, but they are still making tons of money.....

4. Apple Ink thread starter macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

LOL. But guess we were right when we said MobileMe head's gonna get it from steve! And he did get something:demotion/shunt!

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If heads haven't already rolled.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Exactly what I was thinking.

Really, I think they should have waited, who would need the extra services at the iPhone launch if they didn't exist. They should have concentrated on their huge products, then rolled this out.

7. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

True. I'm sure a few people have already seen the butt end of Steve over MobileMe. And true, it was a mistake rolling all these new products and services at once... but, you live and learn!

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i said this when mobile me was launched. it made no sense to try and do everything at once. talk about mis-management. moblie me could've been put up earlier actually too if they were ready. which wouldn't have had any consequence either. or started to roll it out a week or two before hand. would've made things a lot easier.

i'm just glad that they're learning form their mistakes. my only complaint right now is how slow the idisk is still. since its launch though i haven't bothered to play around with it too much because it can be frustrating.

9. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

10. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

Steve Jobs Acknowledges MobileMe Missteps

[​IMG]

Ars Technica reports that Steve Jobs sent an internal e-mail to Apple employees this evening admitting mistakes in launching MobileMe.

In particular, Jobs suggested that Apple should have launched the MobileMe services individually rather than in a single, complicated transition. Jobs also outlined a reorganization of management structure in which Eddy Cue, Apple's vice president for iTunes, will add oversight of the App Store and MobileMe to his duties and will report directly to Jobs.

MobileMe has been plagued by intermittent service at launch, exorbitant preauthorization charges for members signing up for the free trial, and an extended MobileMe e-mail outage affecting approximately 1% of customers that was not resolved until July 29th.

Article Link

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

12. Macsterguy macrumors 6502a

Macsterguy

I distinctly remember...

I distinctly remember Steve Jobs saying (during his keynote, regarding MobileMe): "This time, I think we got it right"...

This, in and of itself, was admission that Apple knew .Mac never really "Got it right". They got it very wrong. Any former .Mac user knows that... Yet they still charged full price for that service.

And now, once again, Steve Jobs himself admits that they really didn't get MobileMe right... Yet they still charge full price for this service.

• Are we supposed to feel better because Apple keeps admitting that they can't "Get it Right"?

• Are we supposed to be impressed because Steve wrote a letter and is now involved?

• Are we supposed to be happy with a one-month extension for this half baked, under tested service?

• Now, we are supposed to wait until the end of the year before they "Get it right"?

The end of the year is 5 months away...

I don't really care "who's heads roll" or "who reports to who"... That is Apple's problem, not mine.

I don't want or need anything free... I just want Apple to deliver on what it promises, on time. If Apple wants to play with the big boys they just need to "GET IT RIGHT".

13. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

Wow - that's good to see - at least the RDF isn't keeping him from admitting Apple's/his mistake

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

One could hope, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Jobs' "end of the year" comment wasn't exactly reassuring.

15. atluten macrumors 6502

Good to know they actually care about making the service work.

16. Flynntoo macrumors newbie

good news

sounds like steves been humbled and now theyre gonna make it rock right.

17. TLewis macrumors 65816

Given that the MM blog hasn't been updated in some time, I think we can assume that something has happened:

18. zombitronic macrumors 65816

zombitronic

“By ignorance we mistake, and by mistakes we learn”

19. the vj macrumors 6502a

Jobs is so inspirational

I wish I could be half the manager he is.

20. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Man I hope Steve stays around. It seems like everyone at Apple doesn't self start at all. I mean for Steve to have to step in and tell the MobileMe crew to start posting daily updates on it's status is pretty lame. That should be a no brainer.

21. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Launched too early....MobileMe's flaws....they shouldn't be so hard on themselves since only 1% were affected by those problems :rolleyes:

But, Jobs did nail it on the future. MobileMe will be an absolute great program when things settle down and Apple continues to puts resources into it.

I am excited about the next few years with it.

22. syklee26 macrumors 6502

my biggest problem with MobileMe is its speed. it takes a pretty long time to load and navigate the page.

plus it's way too damn expensive.

23. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Did Steve Jobs just admit that Apple made a mistake!? Impossible!!!! I so wouldn't want to be working in the MobileMe team. The janitors are probably still cleaning up the blood in cupertino.

Don

24. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Now we just need him to change his position on the MacBook Pro GPU failures.

25. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

And the screen issues, and the MBA core shutdowns, and the iMac condensation issues, and the incompetence of most of the geniuses, and ...

Don