Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ricb

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
My ATT signal is strong here- I've owned Nokia models and previously the 3G which worked fine before the 4. Nearly every call I've made using my new iP4 in the last couple of days has dropped. It's annoying.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
+ 1. I can't believe im actually talking so negative about an Apple product. I freaking love the iPhones but mine is completely unusable. I actually have to go back to a 3GS pending a fix for this. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would have to do this.

We're not being negative, instead we are reporting our experiences. Here's mine: I use a work issued BlackBerry Bold 9000 on AT&T, as well as my personal iPhones. I've owned each generation of iPhone & none of them come anywhere close to the excellent clarity & volume of the Blackerry. It's also important to know, that I'm not advocating for BlackBerrys. But carrying two phones on the same network as I travel day after day is a true test of the telephone performance.

I greatly prefer Apple, the iPhone & the new MacBook Pro I have. It's Steve Jobs arrogance and hype that I find obscene. There's nothing "Magical & Revolutionary" about an iPhone that can't perform it's basic function as a phone. Jobs has boasted over & over about Apple superiority. It's time he put his money where hi mouth is.

What disturbs me is that this problem was potentially known about before its release and Apple just so happened to have a $30 bumper available for purchase that would resolve the issue. "Your $300 iPhone have reception issues, well just buy one of our $30 bumpers to fix the problem." I bought a bumper and **** me if I don't want a refund.

BBQ BOY

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2010
I'm not a big fan of Limbaugh but what was he saying?

I don't recall everything he said but he has the new iPhone 4 and had nothing but praises about his. He has no issues but was mocking the response of Jobs. Basically laughing at the way he has handled the situation.

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
What disturbs me is that this problem was potentially known about before its release and Apple just so happened to have a $30 bumper available for purchase that would resolve the issue. "Your $300 iPhone have reception issues, well just buy one of our $30 bumpers to fix the problem." I bought a bumper and **** me if I don't want a refund.

Repeating a comment here, but the fact that the impact of this has such a broad range (all the way from totally unusable to no issue whatsoever) indicates to me this is quite likely a quality control issue in assembly somehow, rather than purely a design flaw.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
The funny thing is. Steve never said it was our fault. He told us to hold the phone another way, if we wanted a better signal. Which is actually the truth. Any other company would make some fancy statement. But i respect Steve and Apple for just telling it to us as it is.
I mean he didn't lie! So what is everybody complaining about?

When a CEO of a large corporation responds to his costumer like an arrogant prick--he deserves to get his ass chewed out by the media. ESPECIALLY when it's a hardware flaw. He could have said, "Thanks, were looking into this problem" instead of telling him to purchase another item to improve a $200+ item.

I seriously can't see why on earth anyone is apologizing for Jobs. This entire thing is stupid.

PS: I don't suffer from the reception issue.

Sean4123

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2009
This is a post I found in the comments section of the article. While I agree Apple is idiotic in the way they're handling this, the Apple haters still take the cake for stupidest comments.

Snarks
It is so funny now that apple gained a little popularity. I remember just 5 years ago people were saying, "Microsoft has bugs, windows is buggy, yada yada yada". Now look, I told everyone back then that the only reason Windows had more bugs is because 500x more people used it. The funny thing is, Apple now gets hacked easier, has more virus's, and the iphone is becoming a laughing stock. less
7 minutes ago | Like (5) | Report abuse

Look at this moron.

SirHaakon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2007
Really? Completely unusable?
In a word, yes.

When holding the iPhone as I normally would - in either the left OR right hand - the signal drops to zero bars and a call cannot be made. Period.

When placed on a table, the service is completely restored.

Could I hold it by the top or in some dainty way that my palm or fingers avoid the steel antennae? Yes, probably. Should I have to worry about the way I'm holding my cell phone every time I want to make a call? Bloody no.

This is a real problem.

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
In a word, yes.

When holding the iPhone as I normally would - in either the left OR right hand - the signal drops to zero bars and a call cannot be made. Period.

When placed on a table, the service is completely restored.

Could I hold it by the top or in some dainty way that my palm or fingers avoid the steel antennae? Yes, probably. Should I have to worry about the way I'm holding my cell phone every time I want to make a call? Bloody no.

This is a real problem.

I think it is, but based on comments like this versus my personal experience, I have to suspect assembly inconsistencies rather than design flaw.

dwarnecke11

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2009
I'm reminded of some point-and-shoot cameras that have the flash positioned on the side of the lens where your hand grips:

kodak-easyshare-V550.jpg

Just requires a little adjustment. Nothing to sue the company about.

However, I can sympathize with those who would like to use the new iPhone 4 hotness without a case and without dropping reception. With the pressure on Apple I'm certain some sort of remedy will be announced soon.

I heard one rumor that an early shipment was missing the non-conductive coating on the stainless steel band, which would expose it to this vulnerability. I tried out an iPhone 4 yesterday and gripped it tightly in my left hand, covering all seams with my fingers and waiting nearly a minute. 5 bars the whole time. So who knows.

duction

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
U to the K
im going to get my phone in a week, try it for my self. if its crap then the issue lies, and IF that statment 'is' what Steve said, then hes just basicaly giving us the Finger. :eek:

il be sending the phone back and buying a new DSLR instead haha

ginsengbomb

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
Repeating a comment here, but the fact that the impact of this has such a broad range (all the way from totally unusable to no issue whatsoever) indicates to me this is quite likely a quality control issue in assembly somehow, rather than purely a design flaw.

It could also be the standard range of levels of the following on an Internet forum:

1) Competence
2) Intelligence
3) Proclivity to device rage
4) Honesty
5) Flexibility

I honestly think what we're seeing is not a range of quality in the devices but a range of quality in the respondents on this forum, and others.

Sedin

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
I'll be the only one saying that I think I love Steve more because of his response. The balls on that guy. And maybe I find it all a bit too humorous because both of the units I bought are completely functional with or without the bumper. And maybe it's because I have to deal with whiny babies all day that want to make mountains out of molehills. And I'd love to give the ballsy answer that Jobs did. And perhaps I would if I were the creator of my company.

I have to also echo some of he replies in here stating that this all really just seems like a Quality Control issue. If it were an actual design flaw, then why is mine and my boyfriend's devices perfect?

I'll admit that I might be more upset if I had a broken unit. But it seems that most people resolve their issues by holding the phone differently or buying a case. Granted there are those with paperweights, which are obviously malfunctioning devices and not the majority of the iPhone 4 population. Regardless, what Steve says seems to fix it. And that's what you all are asking for. He just didn't present it to you in a fancy little package because you're a special snowflake.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Steve Jobs probably knows how George Lucas felt back then when Greedo shot first. Buying a $30 bumper seems equivalent to George raping a nerd's childhood with all the new Special Edition scenes like Hayden appearing at the end of ROTJ. Feels like emo suicide, right Pee-Wee? Hard to please millions of dweebs when they are the only ones who know how to please themselves the best. With usually a strong right (and sometimes left) grip.

Don't like it, get a refund! Simple as that. Stop being emo.

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
I don't believe this "problem" is anywhere near as big as people are making it sound.

But I also believe that Steve was amazingly stupid and should not have said anything. This is something the company needs to think about and figure out how to handle over the next week. It doesn't matter if he's in charge, he shouldn't have said anything to anyone about it that soon. Certainly not in the way he did.

I agree with this sentiment.

I personally do not have a problem with my reception, but that's because I think I have great AT&T reception where I am at. People near the outer areas will probably be affected.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
I don't believe this "problem" is anywhere near as big as people are making it sound.

But I also believe that Steve was amazingly stupid and should not have said anything. This is something the company needs to think about and figure out how to handle over the next week. It doesn't matter if he's in charge, he shouldn't have said anything to anyone about it that soon. Certainly not in the way he did.

That about sums it up I think. A LOT of people are gunning for apple these days and, while this is certainly a problem, it's being blown out of proportion a wee bit. If it's serious and dropping calls just take your unit in for replacement or refund. Give apple sone time to test and resolve the issue and, if they don't, THEN give them hell. Current hysterics don't help anyone figure out what's really going on and how to fix it.

No question though that steve's response was stupid beyond belief. Normally I'm in favour of his management style but in this case he got it totally wrong.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
He is right though. If it is causing you a problem hold it differently.

It is not a cup of tea.

BConvery

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2009
Misplaced apostrophe use at its finest. ;)

ownt...and

smallwhitecar said:

^this

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
What difference does it make? The iphone4 is still selling like hotcakes, will continue to sell like hotcakes, and I don't think I've seen a single complainer actually return their iphone4 for a refund.

SJ knows his customers, and he knows he can say absolutely anything to them and they will still form a line around the corner with kneepads at the ready.

doug0365

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
He is right though. If it is causing you a problem hold it differently.

It is not a cup of tea.

Lol it's hilarious how apple fan boys defend there beloved Steve Jobs. I mean when you claim how big of an improvement was made on the new iPhone 4 and the first big issue is reception it kinda makes Apple look bad. The worst part is his response telling you your holding the phone wrong is a slap to your face for all there loyal customers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.