Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iofgondor

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2009
Excellent book

Downloaded and busy reading it. Already on page 78. It's an excellent read. The story is well structured. It just flows. I would recommend to anyone who enjoys a good book and of course is interested in getting a better and more complete understanding into Steve Jobs.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
just got it on my iPad. now i got something to do during lectures :D really easy to read so far, even for me as a german native speaker.

the pictures load just fine for me btw

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
Interesting pricing on Amazon. I'll have to wait for it to get in my library. The used audio book is more than it is new :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-10-24 at 7.12.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-10-24 at 7.12.15 AM.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 84

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Just downloaded the Unabridged audio version from Audible.co.uk. Luckily the presenter has a good voice, so i'm enjoying listening to it. Audiobooks don't always have such good voiceovers.

It's good that the voiceover is comfortable to listen to, as the unabridged version is 25 hours long(!)

Cheers for the accidental tip :p

Saw it wasn't available on iTunes yet, but downloading from audible now ...

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Observation on Isaacson's writing style for this Biography

It's extremely sequential and pedestrian (i.e., ordinary) and perhaps that was intentional as the book becomes a quick read.

``Jobs liked to work. He also had a newspaper route--his father would drdive him when it was raining--and during his sophomore year spent weekends and the summer as a stock clerk at cavernous electronics store, Haltek.''

That's some seriously ordinary and bland writing.

``Jobs was able to get his first car, with his father's help, when he was fifteen. It was a two-tone Nash Metropolitan that his father had fitted out with an MG engine.'' Jobs didn't really like it, but he did not want to tell his father that, or miss out on the chance to have his own car. `In retrospect, a Nash Metropolitan might seem like the most wickedly cool car,' later he said. `But at the time it was the most uncool car in the world. Still, it was a car, so that was great.' ''

It reminds me of following the bouncing ball, until there is some color in writing style that only comes from Steve.

It's odd, because Isaacson's Benjamin Franklin most assuredly has flair and I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that he's writing to the period, instead of using his own style regardless of the period in which he's recalling.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Crazy thing just happened. I've purchased the Steve Jobs biography in hardcover already, but I couldn't wait, so I popped into the iBookstore. Thinking it would be a waste to purchase the whole book again, I decided just to download the free sample passage. The sample is the first 41 pages. Well, I reached the 41st page and turned it. The book continued, but I no longer had page numbers at the bottom of the screen. I've gone another 30 or so pages past the first 41 pages of the free sample. Did they somehow accidentally give me the whole book for free?!

My sample has 79 pages. I guess this translates into 41 pages of the print edition - there's less text on each iBooks page.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I bought in iBooks (on my iPad). I have sync enabled on my iPhone - but the book isnt' showing up as something I've purchased. Any help is greatly appreciated

Q Bert

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
Chicago Burbs
Great read so far. I have a feeling that I will re-read the book over and over again. It's that absorbing and addictive of a read. It is quite fascinating, as I've learned, to immerse yourself reading the book (or ebook for that matter) while Pirates of Silicon Valley is being played on TV

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
this is the first book i read in years and its really nice to read. its like as if i can imagine the movie in my head already

ruvil

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2010
Just bought it from the Swedish iBookstore, so i guess it's not only available on the US iBooks.

I bought the english version and iBooks shows about 250 pages... it this really correct since the store says about 600 pages? :S A bit confused here

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I just bought the iBook version - looking forward to reading it tonight.

klrobinson999

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2008
Walter Isaacson was a fantastic choice. His Franklin and Einstein bios were great reads.

Nice to see LINES at bookstores in NYC this AM on the morning news programs. People want the physical book, too!

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Why??? Its not like you're going to get it autographed...

So he can read it in the bath. Or in direct sunlight. Or in one sitting without having to recharge.

(The later two reasons apply to iPad, but not Kindle)

bmturney

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2008
What happened to the pre-order?

I pre-ordered this book in the iBookstore, and it was showing up in my purchased list as pre-ordered... thought it would just automatically download when it was released... but it didn't, and now it doesn't even show up in my purchased list...

anyone else with a similar problem... I don't want to purchase it again if they are still going to charge me for the pre-order one...

----------

So he can read it in the bath. Or in direct sunlight. Or in one sitting without having to recharge.

(The later two reasons apply to iPad, but not Kindle)

Damn dude... how slow do you read? I read The End of Faith and Einstein's Biography on a single charge on my iPad...

Zimmy68

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2008
$16.99 for the Kindle version.
Somewhere, Steve is smiling.
He broke the $9.99 ebook pricing model.

Hardcover pricing for digital files.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
$16.99 for the Kindle version.
Somewhere, Steve is smiling.
He broke the $9.99 ebook pricing model.

Hardcover pricing for digital files.

That's because the market is dictating the price, people are willing to pay that, just look at this thread as an example. I count myself in that crowd as I now have my the book on my iPad.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
That's because the market is dictating the price, people are willing to pay that, just look at this thread as an example. I count myself in that crowd as I now have my the book on my iPad.

Yep, the way the agency model is setup is that it's much more responsive to market demand. If the book weren't in as high demand as it is, we'd see the price drop.

tiptopp

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2008
Norwich, UK
I bought in iBooks (on my iPad). I have sync enabled on my iPhone - but the book isnt' showing up as something I've purchased. Any help is greatly appreciated

+1. Weird. Have reset and restarted everything. Maybe their servers are a bit busy this morning...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It's also up on Audible for those that care. 25 hours unabridged.
I never got the allure of books on tape, but then I said the same thing for ebooks, until the iPad came out. For me, I learn by reading not listening so its not a work able solution. I think that's a symptom of ADD, if I focus on a task I'm good, but listening in the background, I'll miss most of what was said.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.