Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Classic Steve.

It is exactly this that separates Apple from the utter junk out there.

Apple has an obsession with their own products. I ceertainly hope this continues.

Here's 1997.

http://www.magazine.org/ASSETS/FB3E53577D7F42CAB9D5053CE35804A7/33b.jpg

Here's today.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-exxon-market-cap-2011-8

http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-05-27/business/21455982_1_ipod-media-players-apple-share

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/19/apple-reports-record-breaking-q3-2011/

Any questions?

So? The guy is still a bit obsessive.

Doesn't mean he wasn't a genius.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I wish I were that OCD!

kdarling

macrumors P6
If he had said he welcomed hearing that Jobs had called, that would be one thing. Instead, he said it made him nervous.

Anyone who thinks this was the right thing to do, has obviously never had an executive call them up in the middle of their personal time to say that they needed a minor detail changed so their presentation would look better.

This was no weekend emergency. It was going to be fixed the next day, and apparently wasn't even needed until Jobs' presentation a week later.

Seems pretty disrespectful of other people's time.

CEOs should care about details. Even shades of yellow. On a Sunday.

Of course they should. Then they can do something about it during the work week, instead of barging in on other people's personal time. It's sick the way that companies think they own everyone 24/7 nowadays.

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Reminds me of the (supposed) 37 shades of green Jobs went through before finding the right one for the NeXT logo. :)

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
gotta love steve for his micro managing (eye for detail)
gotta hate steve for his micro managing (control freak)

overall it was worth it - in his case

other managers - like my manager - should stop micro managing

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

MacBoobsPro said:
I can see where he's coming from with this. Google create the icon, Apple overlays the shiny gradient thing automatically in the OS. If the orange is too light or the wrong colour the gradient will wash it out and will look weird negatively attracting the eye to it. It may look like 'Go gle' at first glance. You need this attention to detail, its why Apples products are so sort after.

MacBoobsPro, I'm really upset by your second to last word in your post above. I will have it fixed within the hour. Is that ok with you?

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

So google use to make native iapps? Nowadays all they give us are webapps :( I need a native google talk / chat app!

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
Classic Steve.

It is exactly this that separates Apple from the utter junk out there.

Apple has an obsession with their own products. I ceertainly hope this continues.

Here's 1997.

http://www.magazine.org/ASSETS/FB3E53577D7F42CAB9D5053CE35804A7/33b.jpg

Here's today.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-exxon-market-cap-2011-8

http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-05-27/business/21455982_1_ipod-media-players-apple-share

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/19/apple-reports-record-breaking-q3-2011/

Any questions?

True but it shouldn't be his job to take care of such things. Yes, they should be corrected and that's what makes Apple's products so unique but it's clearly not a CEO's job to take care of these. Since he was taking care of these details, now who's going to do it? Not TC. So if nobody took the habit or was assigned to do these QA, who's going to do it so we don't loose the unique Apple's quality? Although, now that is not CEO anymore, he'll have a bit of time on his hands... I bet some people we'll receive a few phone calls anytime of the day for the next few years! ;)

Last edited:

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Its rare for a CEO to have just a close interest in the product his company makes instead of just having a "guy" do that work for him.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
There is nothing epic about this. This is borderline, dare I say, full, OCD on Steve's part.

Micro-management on issues without any importance.

Let the hating commence!
It IS OCD, but that is what made Apple what it is today, and losing that attention to detail is what many fear in losing Jobs.

You *think* it isn't an issue of any importance, but if he ignores this, he ignores many other things. And that's exactly what most other CEOs, and many others below the CEO, do, which is why most other companies' products are inferior to Apple's products.

On the other hand, it's stuff like this that likely has forced Jobs into resigning. The kind of stress that goes along with being this exacting takes a toll on a person, and I can't imagine that his body is capable of handling too much even after the apparently life-saving treatment he's received. I just hope the company is in the hands of others who care as much about details like this, because while I may not notice the difference in the yellow here, all those little things add up. And when they *don't*, it sure makes a big difference.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
I've mentioned this in a couple other posts. Mainly the one about the new glass cube being installed in the new york flag ship store.

A lot of people said that changing the cube was a waste of money that could have been spent on other things. They forget a couple of things, one that it is art, and two; that this man would take into consideration a glass structure from one of its stores. In the mist of building products and pushing technology, a simple scuff at one of his stores still requires attention, details, perfection.

This is seen greatly in any apple product. There are a good number of apple haters, who say apple products are for the status etc. In reality we are just fans of this overly thought out and detailed product that is fundamentally simple, like good art.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
True but it shouldn't be his job to take care of such things.

I'm grateful he took it upon himself to take care of such things. Clearly, this style worked out better than anyone could have hoped. The other CEOs out there in tech (most of them outright amateurs compared to Jobs) should take note.

Obsession and "OCD" about one's work - this is the mark of an artist and a visionary. This is the kind of attitude that separates them from them from the also-rans.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Also the iGoogle logo is a green "i" which still hasn't been updated to a Retina icon, but if you add a home screen bookmark to the Youtube website, it has a Retina icon. Google still needs to try harder and aim for the attention to detail that Steve was talking about.

I've built my own CMS to work with a friend of mine, and one of the modules of my CMS is a built-in check. In that checklist, I verify that all five "favicons" files are present (favicon.ico for IE, favicon.png for the others and all three sizes of apple-touch-icon, following the Apple guidelines). And all icons have been created with a PSD template to ensure borders and gloss are all perfect for each size.

If a job is worth doing, it's worth doing it right.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
If he had said he welcomed hearing that Jobs had called, that would be one thing. Instead, he said it made him nervous.

Anyone who thinks this was the right thing to do, has obviously never had an executive call them up in the middle of their personal time to say that they needed a minor detail changed so their presentation would look better.

This was no weekend emergency. It was going to be fixed the next day, and apparently wasn't even needed until Jobs' presentation a week later.

Seems pretty disrespectful of other people's time.

You realize that Steve Jobs made this call on a Sunday, so _he_ was working on a Sunday?

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

And this is why I buy so many Apple products. Attention to detail in EVERY area. No stone left unturned!

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
You realize that Steve Jobs made this call on a Sunday, so _he_ was working on a Sunday?

Just because Jobs was working doesn't make it right. It's pretty much common decency not to call someone with unnecessary work stuff on a Sunday morning.

Having said that, this is an example of the extreme attention to detail that Jobs and Apple put forth. When I watch other companies' presentations, I can't help but think, "Who gave this the green light?!" Slides are disorganized or illegible, transitions are awkward, camera angles are not appropriate, etc.

For example:
1) Google's I/O presentation was terrible. Mics were failing, speakers were mumbling, camera angles did not even show what was happening, etc.

2) Game conferences, where EACH trailer at the Playstation conference has to end with, "PLAYSTATION!" They can't trim off 3 seconds of it! It gets tiring after 20 trailers...

3) Chipmakers slides where they try to cram in 1,000 words into one slide. Or a useless "roadmap" where the text is practically illegible.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Haha, that's so awesome. I totally relate to Jobs' mentality too... I can't STAND to see ugly software, hardware, whatever. And beauty is part of what makes Apple products what they are (not saying it's the only reason I buy them)

This!

I love hearing stories like this. I know the haters are out in droves over this one but seriously, if it wasn't fixed, someone else would notice and whine about it and then say "Apple has bad quality control blah blah".

Better to catch it ahead of time.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
True but it shouldn't be his job to take care of such things. Yes, they should be corrected and that's what makes Apple's products so unique but it's clearly not a CEO's job to take care of these. Since he was taking care of these details, now who's going to do it? Not TC. So if nobody took the habit or was assigned to do these QA, who's going to do it so we don't loose the unique Apple's quality? Although, now that is not CEO anymore, he'll have a bit of time on his hands... I bet some people we'll receive a few phone calls anytime of the day for the next few years! ;)

It's in the DNA of the company. Jobs is hardly the only one at Apple with a keen attention to detail.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Ocd?

For all the folks posting about Jobs' "OCD": If that's truly what it was, the result would be chaos as Jobs micromanaged Apple to death. But given that Apple is the most valuable company in the world, it can't possibly OCD. The last word in that acronym is "disorder" and there is nothing out of order at Apple.

Jobs has the *right* amount of attention to detail. It might not sit well with others, but the proof is there in front of you: the world's most successful computer company, and possibly the most successful company of any kind in the world.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Haha. While sounding crazy, it's also comforting to know that these products I use daily have every detail looked at. From the exact curvature of the corners of the iPad, the exact sloping "wedge" angle of a MacBook Air, down to this stuff!

To bad there are not more CEO like him, who know how good products would be if there where.

----------

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I wish I were that OCD!

No you don't, because as someone who has worked with OCD its not something you want. Sure his OCD behavior we call attention to detail, but real OCD is not fun or good.

Some people can take their abnormal behavior and turn it into something useful that like Steve keeps on giving, but that is way in the minority.

There are other people who have done this and I applaud his conviction its something that we see less and less. Unlike in politics which all we see is crazy OCD that is counter productive if not dangerous.

----------

For all the folks posting about Jobs' "OCD": If that's truly what it was, the result would be chaos as Jobs micromanaged Apple to death. But given that Apple is the most valuable company in the world, it can't possibly OCD. The last word in that acronym is "disorder" and there is nothing out of order at Apple.

Jobs has the *right* amount of attention to detail. It might not sit well with others, but the proof is there in front of you: the world's most successful computer company, and possibly the most successful company of any kind in the world.

OCD is not micro managing, and there is no real indication that he has OCD which is a mental disorder but its possible. Anyone can micro manage a company and even though not everyone thinks is a good way sometimes there is no choice and you have to. I for one also believe if you want to get anywhere, which I have you really do have to micro manage your own life, because if you don't the chances of going anywhere professionally can become problematic.

I see Steve Jobs as a perfectionist and not someone who has OCD or micro manages. But attention to detail and perfectionist is actually not a bad thing for a CEO. I think HP CEO should take classes from Steve.

Jon the Heretic

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2003
Wish more CEOs were like this

I wish more CEOs cared about their products, actually took pride in them, instead of your typical beancounting MBAs who cares about nothing but cutting costs, and commoditization of skills (aka outsourcing). That crap could be done by a simple computer program---no need to pay someone a lottery-size paycheck each year to make those kinds of decisions. It takes zero talent to put people out of work.

In contrast, making great products that people actually want requires the human element: passion, vision, understanding users, and understanding a little about the product at a more technical level (can't be solely 1000 miles above like your typical MBA who often have never even tried to use the product---they have people for that.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.