MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

222520-jobs_2010_apple_tv.jpg

A significant amount of attention has been focused on orders for the new Apple TV today after it was revealed that Apple had contacted some customers to notify them that their expedited shipping fees were being refunded due to an unspecified "delay". While some sites took the information to mean that those who ordered the new Apple TV and have been expecting on-time shipping previously announced for late this month could be in for delays of up several weeks, that conclusion seemed at best premature to us.

One MacRumors reader took the opportunity to email Steve Jobs about his order status and question whether shipping can be expected in the near future:
Any update on shipment of your hobby project? Looks like it will have to ship early next week for delivery before the end of this month.
The reader claims that Jobs responded with a simple answer:
Yep.

Sent from my iPhone
While Jobs' answer could be considered rather ambiguous, it certainly does appear that he is confirming delivery of the initial round of new Apple TV orders by the end of the month as had been originally expected.

Despite the fact that it is trivial to fabricate legitimate-looking emails as evidenced by some recent cases, our examination of the full headers of the email claimed to be from Jobs and the circumstances of this exchange lead us to believe that the messages are authentic.

Article Link: Steve Jobs Confirms New Apple TV Orders On Schedule for September Delivery

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Awesome. I am really looking forward to trying out this new toy. Having a new TV kinda helps with this interest.

I also really hope some applications do get ported over to :apple:TV, as I have many that woudl be quite fun on the TV screen.

Comment

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
The recent comments from NBC and Viacom put the future of this model of tv in question. Hopefully Apple has a backup plan in place to allow purchases from a device with no onboard storage.

I'm happy with the 1st gen tv until Apple sorts out the future of this hobby.

Comment

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
The AppleTV is still a hobby. Jobs made that clear in his presentation. I think he'd love to have it be the next iPod, but he isn't having the same success he did with getting record labels to adopt iTunes.

I think the future of media is in cloud storage. You buy a TV show or movie once, but never download it. You can watch it as many times you want as long as you have high-speed internet access. Otherwise you'd have to have massive hard drives to handle all the stuff you'd want to download. You think your music collection takes up a lot of space?

I like Amazon's Kindle format. You buy a book and can store that book on your device. But you can also archive it so it doesn't take disk space on your Kindle. I just hope Jobs can get the studios to go for it.

Comment

ShiftyPig

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
AU
The recent comments from NBC and Viacom put the future of this model of tv in question. Hopefully Apple has a backup plan in place to allow purchases from a device with no onboard storage.

I'm happy with the 1st gen tv until Apple sorts out the future of this hobby.

Purchase to iTunes on a computer and then stream to the :apple:tv I would assume. To be completely honest, even $99 for this thing seems a bit steep.

Comment

dynamix1

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2008
It's amazing how people talk, like who the hell they think they are. Maybe they should talk to people with a little respect instead of POS in the street. I wouldn't even have answered that.

Comment

canadianmacguy

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2002
San Diego
Goodness, will people stop emailing Steve with stupid ass questions?

This guy actually emailed him asking for a shipment update?

I don't understand the mentality of people like this - someone explain it to me, please.

Comment

TomaxXamot

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver, BC
This being considered worthy of an article, and especially the posting of it on Page 1, is a perfect example of when I think this site is too OCD on 'Steve's' emails.

"Yep" gets a front page story!

Comment

iMJustAGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2007
Beach, FL
Goodness, will people stop emailing Steve with stupid ass questions?

This guy actually emailed him asking for a shipment update?

I don't understand the mentality of people like this - someone explain it to me, please.

Yes but with him responding shows that he knows and understands that we are weary of shipping dates... not to mention the rumors that have been going around about delays. I don't see the big deal. If he wants to respond, he will, and if he doesn't then he won't. I've emailed him before.

Sweet, just ordered mine 5 mins ago. Ships by the 18th

WHAT!? I ordered mine the 4th or 5th day and that's what my date is... lame.

Comment

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia

Saw the news on Viacom and NBC... my thoughts are what are they thinking? 99 cent rentals - 22 episodes that can only be viewed once?

May take us as consumers to just say no to NBC and Viacom - period....

Comment

MRU

macrumors demi-god
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Mine says ships by 15th October? Was ordered 1st September. Showed ships September, then changed week or so ago to 15th Oct.

Also if you take it that he just answered the actual question and not the ascertain made afterwards.

Any update on shipment of your hobby project?

Yep.

Sent from my iPhone

It just shoes that he's received an update on shipping, and he does not state that it will be shipping by next week, that still remains ambiguous conjecture.

Comment

RobBookPro

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
I'd say $6,000,000,000 is worth having to deal with some obnoxious emails.

I disagree. No figure of money is worth degrading your life style.

Sure Steve loves his work, but i have no idea why he is dealing with these emails.

Comment

iMJustAGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2007
Beach, FL
I disagree. No figure of money is worth degrading your life style.

What?? It's not like that is his personal email. He probably gets on there and checks it when he's bored and just wants to see what people are saying/hating/loving. He's not forced to get on there and read them.

You are acting as if he needs to check his email for important work/personal information and has to sift through all of our bogus emails.

Comment

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Any update on shipment of your hobby project? Looks like it will have to ship early next week for delivery before the end of this month.
The reader claims that Jobs responded with a simple answer:Yep.

That really doesn't prove anything about the shipping of AppleTVs.

That "Yep" would be agreeing with the previous statement. Steve Jobs agrees that to make an end-of-the-month delivery deadline, a package would have to be to the shipper by early next week. He never actually said that the AppleTV would be making that deadline. All he has done is express an opinion on shipping deadlines.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.