Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
The house manager noticed the key McFarlin*had used to break in to the house was missing, and police were notified the day after the robbery. Authorities were able to track the*burglar once he powered on one of the iPads. The device connected to Apple’s servers for routine updates, and through*collaboration*with Apple and the*Palo Alto police force,*authorities*were able to locate McFarlin*based on the iPad’s IP address. Realizing that the iPad was connected to the Jobs family’s Apple ID, they were able to confirm that the iPad was indeed stolen property.

http://www.todaysiphone.com/2012/08/jobs-estate-burglar-facing-over-eight-years-behind-bars/

Lol looks like find my iPad caught the perp, more often then not the police won't follow this lead as they consider it a waste of time, I guess not if you're in palo alto.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Sometimes burglars don't know where they are or what they've taken. Here's an example. Some of you may remember Daniel Ellsberg who made copies of classified documents later known as the Pentagon Papers which demonstrated the Johnson administration lied to Congress about material events involved in the Vietnam War. Then Attorney John Mitchell ordered the New York Times to cease publishing the documents which lead to a famous court battle.

Anyway, in the early 70's Ellsberg left his Bay Area home for several days on business. During his absence his home was burglarized by a local criminal who took several items among which was one of Ellsberg's many briefcases. Ellsberg learned about the burglary in a phone call with his wife and to his horror he discovered the briefcase taken in the burglary was the very one in which he was hiding the Pentagon papers. A few days later the burglar was arrested and the briefcase recovered along with its contents. The thief had no idea what he had...he thought they were useless documents. A few days after that a team of US Marshalls delivered a subpoena from John Mitchell to the law enforcement agency demanding the release of the Pentagon papers and they were back in government possession.

Sorry for going off topic but thought it might be interesting to some of you.

HowieR32

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
HowieR32

$1?

Maybe the press could've sensationalised the story by claiming "$60,000 in goods PLUS cash stolen; to the total sum of Mr. Job's entire yearly salary"

I'd feel pretty upset if my year's salary was stolen...:p

Felix01

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
I feel sorry for you. It is horrible to be always scared. It must be depressing.

Nope, not me (I'm always armed) but I take it you're speaking from personal experience? My condolences are with you, you'll need the karma as you work through the demons in your life.

organerito

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
Nope, not me (I'm always armed) but I take it you're speaking from personal experience? My condolences are with you, you'll need the karma as you work through the demons in your life.

Demons??? :p:p:p:p:p
Really, demons????
Wake up! It is the XXI century.
I am too intelligent to believe in karma, demons or any other superstitious nonsense.

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
Seems like a normal guy. Probably fell on hard times. Doesn't make it ok, but it does underscore the state of the economy. The guy is college educated.

His myspace: http://www.myspace.com/40396937

Then he should move to a place where it isn't hundreds a square foot and what he chose to do for a living can provide him the type of life he would like instead of violating someone else and what they have worked for. I hope he gets everything he has coming to him.

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
500,000$ bail.. lol ridiculous.

Honestly with all the crazies out there he's probably safer in there. While I don't feel bad he is in jail, he deserves it for doing what he did, the high bail probably has every bit as much to do with his safety as it does those outside of there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.