Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
peestandingup said:
This is a video uploaded by yours truly from last year. You can clearly see Steve isnt exactly what I would call "in shape". Now, weather you wanna call him "overweight" or not is up to you, but he has been fatter in the past (around 1999).

Just check out the rest of the videos to see what I mean. Just compare that Steve to the Steve from the early/mid 80s. I'd say he is much heavier in the more recent videos, wouldnt you?? I personally would call him overweight in some of those.

Im glad he is getting in shape & slimming down.

Not even close to overweight, and I must not know what is meant by being "out of shape" if it doesn't include being overweight.

The comparisons being made are between his apparent weight now and six months to a year ago, when he was recovering from cancer treatment and certainly not overweight at that point. He is clearly thinner now, and this is what people are noticing.

Put it this way, when a cancer patient starts losing weight, this is not usually a sign of them "getting in shape," especially if they weren't overweight to start. Ask any doctor, they'll tell you.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Yeah, but how many times have we heard this sort of stuff.

We aren't going to release a cheap Mac...and then the Mac mini comes out.

We don't like putting the guts of the computer behind th screen...and then comes the iMac.

Video is not good for the iPod...then comes the iPod with video.

Steve isn't dying...I bet they announce his death at Apple Expo Paris.

:p

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
if he isn't well, it's probably not a relapse of his cancer since what he had is one of the most benign cancers of visceral organs.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
SeaFox said:
But I'm sure he appreciates the fact people actually care.
I hope he does :D

When was the last time anyone expressed concern for Micheal Dell's health?

The last time someone checked up on the plan to infect him with Ebola, I think..

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2005
Good, maybe he was just having an off day. Maybe in Paris, if we get a keynote, he'll be more up to it. :)

chatin

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2005
He looked distracted. The SEC and Disney must have scheduled meetings that overlapped keynote prep time!

:confused:

mark!

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
America
Maybe he was about to release the PowerBook G5 & decided not to so that's why the keynote seemed like a mess 'cause he changed it last minute. :)

peestandingup

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2006
IJ Reilly said:
Not even close to overweight, and I must not know what is meant by being "out of shape" if it doesn't include being overweight.
Dude, you dont have to be a great big fat ass to be considered overweight. I dont know his weight & height, but I guarentee if you checked it on the BMI scale, it would turn up overweight at some point in his last 6 years of being alive.

For instance, if you are a person who is 6'2" and weighs 195lbs, then you are considered overweight.

And to be "out of shape" can means lots of things, not just overweight. Look, Im not saying Steve Jobs was an obese fat ass, but he was clearly overweight at some points in the last few years.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
markkk! said:
Maybe he was about to release the PowerBook G5 & decided not to so that's why the keynote seemed like a mess 'cause he changed it last minute. :)

He realized it wasn't tuesday....

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
peestandingup said:
Dude, you dont have to be a great big fat ass to be considered overweight. I dont know his weight & height, but I guarentee if you checked it on the BMI scale, it would turn up overweight at some point in his last 6 years of being alive.

For instance, if you are a person who is 6'2" and weighs 195lbs, then you are considered overweight.

And to be "out of shape" can means lots of things, not just overweight. Look, Im not saying Steve Jobs was an obese fat ass, but he was clearly overweight at some points in the last few years.

Dude, Steve was never close to having a big fat ass. I have lots of pictures of him over the past few years. He never looked overweight in any of them. No roll of fat around the middle, no indication of excess weight. But no matter really -- the Steve we're comparing is the Steve of a year or so ago against the Steve we saw this month. I can post a picture I took of him a year and half ago, if you like. Then you can tell me if that man needed to lose any weight.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Non story

Really, why was this even reported? I mean, whatever the PR flacks say is completely, utterly, 100% meaningless. What DID you expect them to say??? OF COURSE they'd say he's doing brilliantly, even if he were on verge of keeling over within the next 5 minutes.

Here's a hint: the PR department is in the PR business, which means that the only info you'll ever get from them is positive, or spin control.

We knew exactly as much about Steve's health before this PR story as we know after. Nothing new whatever was brought out by the PR folks.

So, although I wish Steve the very best, and Apple is still in dire need of his leadership, this PR story tells me nothing at all about how Steve is doing.

SJ is still a relatively young man - may he lead Apple for many decades yet. That, friends is a WISH. What the facts are, I don't know.

Mac Rules

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2006
Europe
Well, after perusing YouTube, I've gotta say that he has changed quite drastically, watch this video of his interview on NBC HERE, now compare his face to that of the latest Keynote, he's a lot thinner now....

Cheers

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
Mac Rules said:
Well, after perusing YouTube, I've gotta say that he has changed quite drastically, watch this video of his interview on NBC HERE, now compare his face to that of the latest Keynote, he's a lot thinner now....

Cheers

nice interview, shows again how much ahead of schedule they were with the intel transition, half the time it would take them when they started it.

Fredo Viola

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2003
IJ Reilly said:
He often appears unshaven. This is not what people have been noticing. He also doesn't look "older." This is also not what people are noticing.

Too bad if Steve is annoyed. I'm sure if he rubbed some money on his irritation it would go away.
Scraggly doesn't mean older, it means ragged or thin.

matthewroth

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2006
Missing The Obvious!

the man has overseen an entire chip transition in under (WELL UNDER) a year! he is in need of a break. sit down, have a botlle of water and put your feet up just in time for 10.5

a wise man once said 'why are all icons forced to be iconic'

LONG LIVE THE STEVE

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I think there's a bit too much overanalysis on this one. I lost a lot of weight once, and though I was a bit ill (more stress / overwork) it was nothing major.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Fredo Viola said:
Scraggly doesn't mean older, it means ragged or thin.

Point taken, but I was responding to your comment:

I know personally when I let me salt and pepper beard grow in I look much older and more scraggly.

Well so do I, which is why I nixed the beard a few years ago. My point was that Steve has appeared with the unshaven salt-and-pepper look frequently in recent years, so I don't think this is what people are responding to when they say he's suddenly looking gaunt or older.

genehack

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2004
R:O:B:U:S:T

Now THAT is some Rumsfeld tone !
He always uses rubust, when folks are under attack.

Maybe the PR lady used it on purpose.....oh god

sparks9

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2003
Copenhagen
What will Apple do if Steve Jobs has to retire because of illness?
I dont think Phil Schiller has what it takes to present Apple to the world...

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
Does anyone really think Apple would release a statement where they said: Jobs is dying??? The stock would take a serious nosedive if it even suspected Jobs was about to leave Apple for some reason or another. Hence, any positive statements from Apple regarding Jobs health should be taken with a truckload of salt.
That said, I really hope he is much better than he looks. To me he didn't look as he was "robust", but that is just me...

wavelayer

macrumors member
May 17, 2005
I hang out around vegans and yogis from time to time. They often look really skinny and frail too.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
Physical signs don't lie. Of course the media will tell everyone he's doing fine, otherwise you'll see APPL stocks tank like there's no tomorrow. The fact that his PR person had to persoanlly deliver a message about Steve's health just helps confirm how vital the speculation/observations were.

I personally think he's having difficulties w/ cancer. I know people w/ cancer and his body language and what not fits the bill whatnot.

iooi

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2004
peestandingup said:
This is a video uploaded by yours truly from last year. You can clearly see Steve isnt exactly what I would call "in shape". Now, weather you wanna call him "overweight" or not is up to you, but he has been fatter in the past (around 1999).

Just check out the rest of the videos to see what I mean. Just compare that Steve to the Steve from the early/mid 80s. I'd say he is much heavier in the more recent videos, wouldnt you?? I personally would call him overweight in some of those.

Im glad he is getting in shape & slimming down.

He's getting old at rapid pace, look what he looked like about five years ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxIgyG_7jcI&NR : no grey hair and outright chubby. This seems to happen to people at a certain age, my dad (born 1941) also degraded a lot in the last 10 years, since I live in another town and saw him only about twice a year this process was quite striking to me.

regards, iooi

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.