Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
I remember in Steve's book he mentions he thought he was going to be Times person of the year once and got screwed over and he vowed to never get excited about such things ever again cause they didn't matter. If you view a few post before this about Zuckerberg, he got the person of the year and he could hardly speak properly in public.

If anything, Time would want to put another cover with Steve's photo cause the special edition they did for his death emptied out of my local magazine stand faster than the iPhone 4S. I went to the magazine shop and couldn't find the Time magazines, I asked the assistant if they carried Time, she goes "Time? yes its right... oo.. it's all gone..."

inlovewithi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
Howard Stern as a source of accurate information!!??:eek: That's an oxymoron.

Now, if you want accurate information - Fox News.:rolleyes::p

"...ingeniosity...". !!??:confused:

As far as Person of the Year - Jobs is no worse than many who have been named in the past.

Howard Stern is the perfect example of how the average person who doesn't follow technology and computers perceive things. Very simplistic, like Andy Rooney assuming that Bill Gates is responsible with computers being more powerful year after year, with no concept of companies like AMD and Intel making it possible. Stern literally thinks that Steve Jobs invented touch screen and the mp3, because he's the average non computer savy person.

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
Mohammed Bouazizi should for sure be the 2011 person of the year. He started the rebellion of youth in every single country during 2011.

inlovewithi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
You didn't actually listen to Howard Stern to hear anything approaching reality or rational thought, did you? I'm surprised Stern didn't spend an entire show laughing about Jobs and putting him down. That Stern is actually in awe of someone other than himself, is amazing.

Stern has become the biggest and most obnoxious Apple fanboy on the planet. It's so chocking, it's literally like a religion the way he was sucked in. It's rare the day that passes where he doesn't mention Steve Jobs in a godlike kind of way. Stern idolizing Steve Jobs in an almost godlike way has really shown me the type of effect the way Apple promotes itself can have on even a very logical person

gturban

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2010
I'm sure Justin Biber will win this year. He is a pretty safe bet and I don't think Time can afford to upset anyone.. Maybe he can get his price through facebook!

JAQ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Purgatory MI
I admire Jobs as much as the next Apple owner.

But Person Of The Year for 2011 is The Protestor: from Oman to Oakland, s/he has touched off dramatic political changes that have continued for most of the year, and show no signs of stopping.

johnpq

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
Mohammed Bouazizi should for sure be the 2011 person of the year. He started the rebellion of youth in every single country during 2011.

While his actions did indeed spark rebellion and led to the 'Arab Spring' (I dislike that term but there it is) he hardly impacted youth in every single country.

----------

I admire Jobs as much as the next Apple owner.

But Person Of The Year for 2011 is The Protestor: from Oman to Oakland, s/he has touched off dramatic political changes that have continued for most of the year, and show no signs of stopping.

Who?

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
The article says it's the first posthumous person of the year award, and that might be true. But Einstein was person of the century long after he had died.

I don't see Steve Jobs as the most influential element of this last year. I'm not sure what is—weather, maybe? They do pick non-people as the "person" of the year sometimes. Or maybe something to do with the Arab Spring—not sure how that would be represented, though. Or maybe the movements in the US that are not within the party system, such as Occupy and Tea Party. Or perhaps (this is obviously my opinion) name person of the year as the lack of a person who can beat Barack Obama (something like the Republican who wasn't there).

Making Steve Jobs person of the year might sound right because of his recent passing until you realize it's not meant to be a eulogy but rather about what element influenced the world the most for better or for worse. Even if you were forced to only look at Apple for consideration, I would say Tim Cook and Apple's ability to keep running so successfully without Steve Jobs is a bigger story than Steve Jobs was this last year (running well in terms of financial strength, products can be debated). I don't say this to deny his importance, but I think Time is attempting to reflect on history, which tends to be a quantitative rather than qualitative exercise. Of course, if something that is more qualitative such as a national consciousness or national reaction to a figure rise to a level that it's an important story that's something that history should measure in a quantitative way. You could say that Steve Jobs' death forced the country into a reflection on him that and that reflection in people's minds was significant. But was it the most influential element of the last year? No.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
Just cause he died? I was listening to Howard Stern, he literarly thinks that Steve Jobs personally invented the mp3 player and the touch screen. The touch screen in my Nintendo DS and pocket PC both in 2004 were invented by Steve Jobs. That's the reality for so many.

He did (along with the Waz) invent the home computer. I think that should be listed close to the top of the greatest human achievements of all time.

The article says it's the first posthumous person of the year award, and that might be true. But Einstein was person of the century long after he had died.

I don't see Steve Jobs as the most influential element of this last year. I'm not sure what is—weather, maybe? They do pick non-people as the "person" of the year sometimes. Or maybe something to do with the Arab Spring—not sure how that would be represented, though. Or maybe the movements in the US that are not within the party system, such as Occupy and Tea Party. Or perhaps (this is obviously my opinion) name person of the year as the lack of a person who can beat Barack Obama (something like the Republican who wasn't there).

Making Steve Jobs person of the year might sound right because of his recent passing until you realize it's not meant to be a eulogy but rather about what element influenced the world the most for better or for worse. Even if you were forced to only look at Apple for consideration, I would say Tim Cook and Apple's ability to keep running so successfully without Steve Jobs is a bigger story than Steve Jobs was this last year (running well in terms of financial strength, products can be debated). I don't say this to deny his importance, but I think Time is attempting to reflect on history, which tends to be a quantitative rather than qualitative exercise. Of course, if something that is more qualitative such as a national consciousness or national reaction to a figure rise to a level that it's an important story that's something that history should measure in a quantitative way. You could say that Steve Jobs' death forced the country into a reflection on him that and that reflection in people's minds was significant. But was it the most influential element of the last year? No.

I think they are treating it like a lifetime achievement award.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Odd choice, given the criteria as "a person, couple, group, idea, place, or machine that "for better or for worse, ...has done the most to influence the events of the year. This was probably his least influential year at Apple, a year where the company hasn't done much besides iterate on it's existing products.

Is it any more odd than Zucky

brewcitywi

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Who else?

Who else and what other values compare with the reasons that Person of the Year represents?

I would even say that the honor is premature! Wait ten years and we'll still be in some form of awe.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
He deserves it for his life's work, but he really didn't do much "this" year. Seems like there are better ways to honor him. It's possible the other nominees probably did more this year, and may deserve the prize more.

Well next year he won't be doing anything so . . .

That said can we chill. Folks are getting worked up over a nomination. He asn't been given the award

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
What did Zuckerberg do in 2010?

I thought he stole the idea for the social network webpages from his fellow students earlier than that?

Facebook was at it's prime in 2010. He didn't steal anything, just took an idea and made it better just like Steve Jobs did.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Steve Jobs sells copy, so no doubt he'll be the POTY. If they are going to start with posthumous awarding, it might as well be him.

Yes, if you want to debase the brand, give the POY year award to the late turtlenecked overlord.

If you want to award people who made a difference in the year 2011 - look elsewhere.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Steve should have receive the "person of the decade" award back in 2009/10.
He indeed change the way we interact with technology forever especially in the last 10 + years.

Unfortunately this year if he received it is just because he passed away.

Mohammed Bouazizi is no doubt the winner imo.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
That is arguable. IMO 10 years down the road A Winner Zuckerberg will look like a silly choice for the award. Steve Jobs not so much...

IMO both Zuckerberg and Jobs will be equally silly.

Especially in the year of the Arab spring.

Note: it's "of the year". Jobs went on leave two weeks into the year....

Whatever Jobs did in the last 50 years, the POY is for this year. Jobs worked for two weeks this year, and spent much of the rest of it in hospice care.

That does not qualify for POY. What he did last year, the year before, or the five years before does not matter. It's this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.