Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dtich

macrumors regular
May 27, 2007
hp got pissy

here's my take on this:

apple convinced hp to develop proprietary hardware to work w airprint, then hp discovered in dev releases that printing via printer sharing to any old printer was also enabled, rightfully scaring hp into thinking who would buy another printer when they can use any existing one now with share printing... hp complains to jobs, jobs says ok, we'll cripple printer sharing from ios for the timebeing to let the new hp printers get a wee foothold...

that's my bet. i understand it, but it isn't consumer friendly. airprint via shared printers will be back, i have no doubt, but perhaps we'll see a small window where hp can recoup some r + d costs... (or at least sell the million airprint printers they've already made!)

my 2¢.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Go green, go cloud. There is rarely a real reason to print anything, at least in EDU. We are totally electronic NOW....

I can just see the reaction now when I walk into Macy's to return something I ordered online and when they ask me if I have my receipt I say yes, and whip out my iPad! :rolleyes:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
The question was poorly asked so Steve is able to give a non-answer answer.

The question only asks if AirPrint was pulled -- that was never @ issue though.

At issue was AirPrint's ability to print to any printer via any 10.5+ or Win 7 computer as opposed to just w/ an AirPrint printer.

Steve said Airprint has not been pulled but doesn't state (b/c it wasn't asked) if any features of AirPrint were pulled.

As such the email is worthless.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC

At issue was AirPrint's ability to print to any printer via any 10.5+ or Win 7 computer as opposed to just w/ an AirPrint printer.

Steve said Airprint has not been pulled but doesn't state (b/c it wasn't asked) if any features of AirPrint were pulled.

Absolutely. I wonder why this even made the front page, seeing as how it's obvious that there was no substance to the email, and therefore no substance to Jobs' reply.

blackpond

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
"Don't believe everything you read." How ironic of an answer was that!!! It you went by that answer, then you shouldn't believe Jobs' answer either :)

he said "Don't believe EVERYTHING you read." In other words, only believe what he says. ;)

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
My two cents

He said "Don't believe everything you read." The recent rumors say network printing has been removed, not that all printing has been removed. The statement "Don't believe everything you read." suggests network printing is still in iOS 4.2. Either way we should find out soon enough.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
here's my take on this:

apple convinced hp to develop proprietary hardware to work w airprint, then hp discovered in dev releases that printing via printer sharing to any old printer was also enabled, rightfully scaring hp into thinking who would buy another printer when they can use any existing one now with share printing... hp complains to jobs, jobs says ok, we'll cripple printer sharing from ios for the timebeing to let the new hp printers get a wee foothold...

that's my bet. i understand it, but it isn't consumer friendly. airprint via shared printers will be back, i have no doubt, but perhaps we'll see a small window where hp can recoup some r + d costs... (or at least sell the million airprint printers they've already made!)

my 2¢.

Steve could give a rat's ass whether hp is pissed. HP competes with Apple in numerous markets, including smart phones, btw. hp already sells the printers, so no worry that hp wouldn't follow through. And you can bet that canon, brother, and everyone else will adopt AirPrint functionality, too, so apple doesn't actually need HP.

SR2

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2010

That's why Jobs responded to it.

tmuller

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2008
I am on 10.6.5 Build 10H574 and have no problem printing from my GOLD MASTER 4.2 iPad to my Mac.

BBC B 32k

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2005
London
I am going to go out on a limb here. I think that no printer sharing is not that big a deal. I have an iPad (writing this on it) and to print things just mail them. Naitive printing would be easier and quicker but printer sharing is hardly native printing. You need your computer powered up and connected to the printer. Either you have your computer running 24/7 or every time you print you start up the computer. Both these scenarios seem a bit silly for most home uses.

Instead how about the printer being able to connect direct to your device via USB or WiFi? Output could be rendered as PDFs for example and the printer is able to accept and print that format. Seems much simpler.

Yes there will be a period where manufactures have to update and release new models. But this is a growing tech where most users are of the MR reading type who may just buy a new printer if it matters that much. This method means iPhone can print direct also, also many other devices without built in printer drivers.

So as I see it printer manufactures are being asked to work on a standard format for file acceptance from mobile devices. PDF would seem to be ideal with RTF as another option. This really could change how we print and no printer sharing may just spur this on.

Though I may be wrong :D
Just my 2p worth.

buckers

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2010
Anglesey, UK
Maybe if we'd received a proper iLife update, we'd be too busy having fun making websites and sharing photos to care about whether or not we'll be able to print from our iPads ;)

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Wait! Does "Don't believe everything you read" mean we shouldn't trust the written word? Is Steve telling us not to trust anything that's printed? Hence, printing is a waste of time. Ergo... AirPrint is cancelled.

Oops.. I think I just misoveranalysed it wrong too..

RyanR.

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2008
Virginia
I highly doubt Steve Jobs reads every email. Even if he does the man picks and chooses which ones to reply to. I'm sure others emailed more specific questions than the one posted, but it was vague enough to answer with out lying.

I hope to see airprint and airplay as described and demoed, but have learned sometimes there are delays.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Yay! Hopefully a real SJ email.

Surely he wouldn't have responded quite like that if Apple was only going to release the direct-to-air-print-compatible-printer part of it (pretty much useless to me and everyone else who doesn't have an air-print printer, which is pretty much everyone).

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
the initial report did not claim that AirPrint had been entirely pulled, only that printing to shared printers connected to Macs and PCs had been removed at the last minute. Consequently, both the rumor and Jobs' comments can be entirely correct.

And yet, not believing everything you read still sounds like damn good advice.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Wow, the sender jumps to some massive conclusions, vaporware indeed.

I have pity for Apple sometimes when they have to put up with all the over reactions to what are essentially rumours. People just don't have the patience to just wait and see.

I also envy those people who don't religiously follow the rumour sites, they don't know disappointment, they just see what is on the shelf once released.

Us rumour mongers need to take a chill pill.

tripjammer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
here's my take on this:

my 2¢.

It was never gone...you are digging too much...we have one developer who made this all up...It works in the gold master....no way apple is gonna cripple it this late in the game.

lowbatteries

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
"Don't believe everything you read." How ironic of an answer was that!!! It you went by that answer, then you shouldn't believe Jobs' answer either :)

Logic 101: "Don't believe everything you read" is not the same as "Don't believe anything you read".

Also, don't believe this because it is trivial to fake these things. :D

tripjammer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
I am going to go out on a limb here. I think that no printer sharing is not that big a deal. I have an iPad (writing this on it) and to print things just mail them. Naitive printing would be easier and quicker but printer sharing is hardly native printing. You need your computer powered up and connected to the printer. Either you have your computer running 24/7 or every time you print you start up the computer. Both these scenarios seem a bit silly for most home uses.

Instead how about the printer being able to connect direct to your device via USB or WiFi? Output could be rendered as PDFs for example and the printer is able to accept and print that format. Seems much simpler.

Yes there will be a period where manufactures have to update and release new models. But this is a growing tech where most users are of the MR reading type who may just buy a new printer if it matters that much. This method means iPhone can print direct also, also many other devices without built in printer drivers.

So as I see it printer manufactures are being asked to work on a standard format for file acceptance from mobile devices. PDF would seem to be ideal with RTF as another option. This really could change how we print and no printer sharing may just spur this on.

Though I may be wrong :D
Just my 2p worth.

Dude you can do both...HP native and all others though sharing with through your computers with itunes...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.