Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Steve Jobs' Resignation Not Indicative of Sudden Worsening of Health

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Steve Jobs had been on medical leave for 7 months when he resigned as CEO today, saying in a letter that he would be the first to admit it "if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple's CEO. Unfortunately, that day has come."

In his article about the resignation, Adam Satariano writes for Bloomberg about Jobs' recent health and his activities today. Most importantly, he notes that the resignation was not in response to a sudden change in Jobs' health:
The day of the announcement, Jobs was in Apple's Cupertino, California, office for the entire work day, and he attended a regularly scheduled board meeting, according to a person close to Jobs, who was not authorized to speak about the executive's health. While Jobs has been housebound for the past few weeks and his condition is weak, the resignation was not indicative of a sudden worsening, this person said.
Jobs has been dealing with complications following treatment of a rare form of pancreatic cancer since 2004 and a liver transplant in 2009.

Article Link: Steve Jobs' Resignation Not Indicative of Sudden Worsening of Health

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
I suspected this. Although he probably hasn't improved, I'm glad to hear that he hasn't declined in health.

What they did here is just make it official whats been going on at Apple for a while: Cook, instead of the "acting" CEO, he is now the CEO. Steve Jobs will be doing what he has been doing since the beginning of this year.

Man, as much as I know that Apple will be fine, I just can't help but feel that Apple won't be the same with out Steve. :(

Hopefully this means that he'll still unveil iPhone 5 at the Sept event!

Comment

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
I suspected this. Although he probably hasn't improved, I'm glad to hear that he hasn't declined in health.

What they did here is just make it official whats been going on at Apple for a while: Cook, instead of the "acting" CEO, he is now the CEO. Steve Jobs will be doing what he has been doing since the beginning of this year.

Man, as much as I know that Apple will be fine, I just can't help but feel that Apple won't be the same with out Steve. :(

Hopefully this means that he'll still unveil iPhone 5 at the Sept event!

I feel the same way. He is just reducing his involvement, leaving room for Tim to show the investors that he is Jobs 3.0. And I can't wait to see Steve intro all the new stuff coming.

Comment

jackhdev

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Bismarck, North Dakota
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5302b Safari/7534.48.3)

I think he should have remained CEO for one more year. I love Steve and NEVER want to see him go, but that has happened. In the following year he should have slowly, but more and more faded out of the picture in his keynotes, as what happened at WWDC 2011. He only talked a third of the time and let everyone else get comfortable with the other executives. If he did that for one more year, then the stock wouldn't plummet as much as it will tomorrow. Oh well, I'll miss you Steve. Even though you're still at Apple, it feels as though I've lost a piece of myself.

Comment

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Denial about Jobs condition is good for stability at Apple.

As secretive as Apple is they wouldn't disclose the truth anyway.

Comment

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
If this is true, that's a relief. My friend and I figured that Jobs resigned because he was dying soon.

Comment

orangerizzla

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008
Hampton
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Who wants to bother with the day to day stuff anyway? Good luck Steve :)

Comment

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just because his condition isn't getting worse doesn't mean his condition isn't dire already. It's too bad we're all obsessing over the prospects of a man who is probably dying, but I suppose it's a natural thing to incessantly ponder his health so that we're not psychologically overwhelmed when he finally dies. It just sucks so much. As most everybody on these boards has probably known someone who has or has had cancer, we know how terrible it can be living with the knowledge that your life has a truncated time limit. I just can't imagine what's going through Jobs' brain at the moment, not to mention his family's.

Comment

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Carefully worded. It's not an indication of a sudden deterioration in health...

I still find it likely though that it's a result of realising that it's still deteriorating overall and he's not going to get better.

Of course I do wish him the best of health - just being realistic and I can't think of any other reason he'd think he's no longer capable of meeting expectations

Comment

Lazrhog

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2010
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just hope Steve gets to live a long and fullfilling life from this point. Apple will be just fine now

Comment

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

What sad news to wake up to :-(
All the best to Steve and his family, I hope he gets well.

Comment

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008

I still find it likely though that it's a result of realising that it's still deteriorating overall and he's not going to get better.

Of course I do wish him the best of health - just being realistic and I can't think of any other reason he'd think he's no longer capable of meeting expectations
I agree. If he were to get better, he wouldn't resign I'm affraid...

Comment

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007

Sad, but too true.

And his book release being brought forward. Makes you wonder the unthinkable...

Cancer is just hideous. It plays no favourites and shows no mercy.

Comment

AaronEdwards

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
The day of the announcement, Jobs was in Apple's Cupertino, California, office for the entire work day, and he attended a regularly scheduled board meeting, according to a person close to Jobs, who was not authorized to speak about the executive's health. While Jobs has been housebound for the past few weeks and his condition is weak, the resignation was not indicative of a sudden worsening, this person said.

The resignation wasn't indicative of a sudden worsening.

While Jobs has been housebound for the past few weeks and his condition is weak.

That's not sudden. So, was the resignation indicative of Job's health and condition weakening, but not a sudden weakening? If he has been housebound for weeks then that's anything but sudden.

Do Jobs regularly spend the entire day at the office? The source also says that he has been housebound for weeks, so that seems unlikely.

Read between the lines.

Comment

call-151

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2003
Reality check

As much as we don't want to believe it, this means that he is out of treatment options and has probably been told that he's got less than 24 months left. He wants to spend that time with his family and do what he can to protect Apple by separating the blow into two stages- this is stage 1. The resignation (which they've been planning for some time) was timed to minimize the impact. Apple is at an unprecedented level of strength and is on a trajectory to remain so for the next couple of years. This is the right time for stage 1, but stage 2 seems inevitable at this point. It's impossible to imaging an Apple without him, and it will not be the same. This strategy gives the world time to ponder that reality before (hopefully well before) it actually happens. Nothing lasts forever, but the tragedy is undeniable. It's time to start reflecting on his extraordinary impact and accomplishments.

Comment

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Denial about Jobs condition is good for stability at Apple.

As secretive as Apple is they wouldn't disclose the truth anyway.

The resignation wasn't indicative of a sudden worsening.

While Jobs has been housebound for the past few weeks and his condition is weak.

That's not sudden. So, was the resignation indicative of Job's health and condition weakening, but not a sudden weakening? If he has been housebound for weeks then that's anything but sudden.

Do Jobs regularly spend the entire day at the office? The source also says that he has been housebound for weeks, so that seems unlikely.

Read between the lines.

I wish it were other, but I must agree with the above. It would be detrimental to business interests to be forthcoming about his health. It is very sad, but he does seem to be in a significantly declining state.

Of course, I wish him the best and hope some reduced business pressures allows him more time with his family and some time to enjoy his remaining time - however long that is.

Comment

jayducharme

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Being housebound is not a good sign, and would certainly be a reason for him to resign. Jobs has pushed himself very hard for Apple. Perhaps the only way for him to get any better is to simply step back and rest. That's what I would like to think. He's the reason Apple is what it is. He's a task master, unsatisfied with anything but perfection, and that drives everyone at Apple to do their best work. That attitude is what has made Apple the best tech company in the world, creating products that set the standard for the rest of the industry.

Comment

giffut

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2003
Germany
Pancreatc ...

... cancer is mostly deadly, no matter what. The agressive kind does kill you within roughly half year after diagnosis. Another more mild variant might give you another 5 to 10 years more or less, but this requires perfect medical and surgical treatment. Steve Jobs seems to suffer from the more mild one, but metastatic growth seems to be back. There is only so much one can do, and he seems to run out of options.

He is dying, and this is very sad.

Comment

Daffodil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
In a sunny state of mind

Agreed. The unfortunate truth is his prognosis was never great.

I wish it were other, but I must agree with the above. It would be detrimental to business interests to be forthcoming about his health. It is very sad, but he does seem to be in a significantly declining state.

Of course, I wish him the best and hope some reduced business pressures allows him more time with his family and some time to enjoy his remaining time - however long that is.

Yeah, better to be surrounded by loved ones in peace and quiet than constantly troubled by rumors of his health going this way and that, impacting business.

Comment
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.