Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Silicon Alley Insider reports that Apple CEO Steve Jobs apparently traveled to New York City in recent days to meet with executives at The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal for discussions about bringing their content to the iPad.
We're reliably informed that Jobs showed up for an iPad show and tell in the Times newsroom. The meeting was strictly off the record, though a person present indicated Jobs is preparing to gear up the iPad for magazines and newspapers, having put books first on his list of priorities.
Jobs' visit to The Wall Street Journal was reportedly more low-key, eschewing a newsroom visit in favor of a more limited audience.

New York also reports that Jobs held a dinner meeting with 50 representatives of The New York Times.
Our source says Jobs, who sat at the head of the "intimate, family-style gathering" with Times publisher Arthur Sulzberger, demonstrated the iPad and its functions, and spoke about how it could serve the future of media.
At Apple's media event held to introduce the iPad, Apple executives focused primarily on traditional book publishers when discussing content partnerships, although The New York Times was heavily featured in demonstrations. In the days since the media event, Apple has reportedly been working to broaden its content deals, pursuing additional book publishers and bringing textbook publishers on board while now apparently beginning focused efforts on the newspaper and magazine industries.

Article Link: Steve Jobs Rumored to Have Recently Traveled to New York for iPad Media Talks

mekopolis

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
I am all about the Magzines

I hate subscribing to Magazines cause they just clutter up over time, or I normally get behind on reading them, or they get destroyed when i shove them in my bag

imagine just flicking/turning the pages on a digital magazine

sure the Advertisements inside the magazine might be almost as bad as those flyers that fall out of the thing. But I want to be able to carry all my books, magazines, movies, and music around with me on one device..not to mention all my Apps i have for my ipod touch

Can't wait for the IPad

grahamwright1

Cancelled
Feb 10, 2008
I'm sure Steve would have preferred to have the content deals locked down before the release date, but it's likely there will be lots of announcements in the near future. I think there will be a real groundswell of support for the iPad from the average person once they see "their" magazines and newspapers available in something close to the paper format.

Now bring on the updated MBP's please :D

grahamwright1

Cancelled
Feb 10, 2008
I am all about the Magzines

imagine just flicking/turning the pages on a digital magazine

sure the Advertisements inside the magazine might be almost as bad as those flyers that fall out of the thing. But I want to be able to carry all my books, magazines, movies, and music around with me on one device..not to mention all my Apps i have for my ipod touch

Can't wait for the IPad

Hmm, I wonder how those "smelly" inserts for cologne, perfume, etc will work on the iPad :)

gt1948

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
iMags ???

Poplar Science, Macworld, maclife, USA Today, Newsweek, Playboy, National Geographic hmmm that about covers it for now

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
Lemme guess. The conversation centered on, "I hold in my hand your savior. All you must do is develop content in HTML5 (and stay away from flash) and the minions shall spew forth!"

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Something like National Geographic complete with integrated video would be awesome. It could really revolutionize the print industry.

The NYT should consider charging $4.99 for the app and serving ads in the app (similar to how they lay them out in the physical paper) using Apple’s forthcoming ad platform instead of a subscription. I would much prefer that to paying a subscription every month.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Lemme guess. The conversation centered on, "I hold in my hand your savior. All you must do is develop content in HTML5 (and stay away from flash) and the minions shall spew forth!"

I'm quite curious to see how open this "digital book format" is going to go as far as distribution and promotion. Jobs mentioned ePub as the format but will anyone be able to put ePub docs on the iPad via iTunes?

The web and alternative press web news sites has done a very good job bypassing the bias that a lot of medias have out there to get alternative views out. Are all these meetings an attempt at putting the Jeanie back in the bottle or just a PR move to promote the distribution scheme for anyone to subscribe no matter how many paper mills are owned by the publishing house?

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio

Funny you should put it that way. I'm not sure about magazines, but the newspaper industry is in a rather dire situation and could use a savior right about now.

The weird thing is, I haven't seriously read a newspaper in years. 99% of my news comes in the form of online news sources; e.g. MSNBC for national/international news, wave3.com for Louisville local news/weather, and of course MR for :apple: news (and rumors) :D.

SweetestEvil

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2008
This will sounds stupid but...

a family-style dinner with Steve Jobs: feeling his love for us and watching him perform miracles. Breaking bread with brothers brought together by the wonder of technology. This would truly be a religious experience for me. I know others won't understand that and I totally invite the ridicule but even the atheists can put our faith into someone and worship them. I would do anything ethical for him.
:apple:

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.
I am more than willing to subscribe, I would like each page with images including advertising that I would get in the printed version.

I get the magazine for the advertising as well as for the content.

I'm willing to pay a few dollars a month for the excitement of reading advertising and content... yes I said that...just make it look like the printed media.

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
My problem with magazines on the iPad is simply, how does digital distribution overcome the thing that's killed magazines in the first place? Specifically, by the time you assemble a magazine's worth of content, its already out of date. And if you're going to have live updates, then isn't this just a web site that you pay for by the unit?

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
uh-oh... Direct exposure to the RDF... they're goners.

The way these industries are struggling, many of them will be goners (i.e. out of business) if they don't do something. This may be the last lifeline to grab for some of them. Gannett (who owns Louisville's Courier-Journal) is seriously hemorrhaging right now, and has let go of legions of employees over the past few years just to stay in publication.

My problem with magazines on the iPad is simply, how does digital distribution overcome the thing that's killed magazines in the first place? Specifically, by the time you assemble a magazine's worth of content, its already out of date. And if you're going to have live updates, then isn't this just a web site that you pay for by the unit?

Precisely why I get my news on the 'Net; it's what's happening now. Perhaps jaw04005's suggestion of app cost + ad revenue may be an acceptable alternative to the Web, where Flash still rules.

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.

For me I like to read some of the indepth content you can get with a magazine. I would also expect that the content is downloaded to the devide and you can read it offline. (Like on a plane etc).

Content with wireless off while listening to my iTunes content. = Fun!

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
It will be interesting to see what Apple comes up with.

Currently I use Zinio. for magazines.

Zinio works good on the Mac and the iPhone. On the iPad it will really rock.

You can check it out for free -- the app and an trial magazine or two.

Zinio already rocks. So I'm sure Apple will bring something really nice to the table.

batmccoy

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2005

Hopefully, the magazines will feel more like real magazines than a website. flipping through pages using your finger (not a mouse click), no wait for downloads of each page, no rollovers. You may feel as if you are "in the magazine" rather than on a website ran through a browser.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.