Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A rare Apple Computer business card signed by Steve Jobs recently sold for $181,183 at auction, according to Boston-based RR Auction.

Steve-Jobs-Business-Card.jpg

The business card is from 1983, and it has been authenticated by well-known memorabilia grading service PSA, according to the auction listing. It features Apple's old six-color logo, and it lists the company's former address of 10495 Bandley Drive, in Cupertino, California. Jobs is listed as the Chairman of Apple's Board of Directors.

RR Auction believes this sale has set a new record-high price for a signed business card.

Jobs passed away in 2011 at the age of 56. Throughout his career, he was reluctant to sign autographs, so items with his signature on them often sell for large sums of money. Last year, for example, a check signed by Jobs sold for over $100,000 at auction.

Article Link: Steve Jobs Signed Business Card Fetches Over $180,000 at Auction

vegetassj4

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2014
For Sale:

Own Your piece of reality distorting, holding it wrong history, with this limited edition Steve Jobs NFT.

Highly collectible and limited to only 100 pieces.

Get yours today for the low prce of 1 BTC.

Please remit all payments to the address in the QR code.

Steve-Jobs-Business-CardNFT .jpg

julesme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
I’m curious how PSA was able to authenticate the signature. I’d imagine that there’s no reliable way to actually do so.

At least with athletic memorabilia, you can get a photo with the athlete and it can be labeled “1 of 100 signed” or something similar.

Reactions: jchap

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
Id laugh if one day it goes missing…then in the future.. someone finds it, and folds it in half and slides it under a desk leg to stop it wobbling.

One persons trash, is another persons gold. One persons gold, is another persons trash.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
I’m curious how PSA was able to authenticate the signature. I’d imagine that there’s no reliable way to actually do so.

At least with athletic memorabilia, you can get a photo with the athlete and it can be labeled “1 of 100 signed” or something similar.
The only definitive way would be a DNA match i think… i wonder what they provide the owner regarding its authenticity. Id not be surprised it would say, to the best of our knowledge and testing, this item is “considered” genuine.

zachz

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
Compare Steve's to Tim's signature... these men may seem similar but their signatures tell a different story.

View attachment 2361746
I had to look it up… can’t believe that’s actually his signature.

Every time I sign documents at work I get embarrassed over how terrible my signature is, now I’ll say it’s billionaire inspired!

zachz

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
The only definitive way would be a DNA match i think… i wonder what they provide the owner regarding its authenticity. Id not be surprised it would say, to the best of our knowledge and testing, this item is “considered” genuine.
It does say DNA on the sticker next to the card, although I have no clue what PSA/DNA is maybe I should’ve looked into that first lol

Reactions: Fuzzball84

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
It does say DNA on the sticker next to the card, although I have no clue what PSA/DNA is maybe I should’ve looked into that first lol
Even if it had his DNA on it, it would by no means be conclusive. It could have just been a card he touched for any reason. And then been made into a business card 😂

Youd have to test the paper, inks, DNA, signature profile and indentations caused by it. Analysis of contaminants etc etc

And even then you'd still be like… well all the evidence suggests its genuine.

Then someone who knew him says, well he never signed stuff like that… 😂

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
I expected more comments, what with all the "things were so great when Steve was around"/"Steve must be spinning in his grave" comments usually seen in the forums.

• Haha
Reactions: jchap
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.