Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Seriously folks, I would encourage folks to do the patriotic thing and show respect for the office of the president -- sometimes that's as simple as using the title "President" before his name. I've said the same thing with prior presidents of the US (Bush, Clinton, Bush, Reagan, etc...) -- the president should show respect for the office and the people should show respect for the president and then we should just agree to have differing political views. The current level of contention in US politics is tough to endure on a daily basis because of this lack of respect. The lack of respect got really bad in the last 10 years with the way people referred to President Bush. And for the record, I believe that both President Clinton and President Nixon failed to show respect for the office of President at times during their terms.

That said, enjoy using your free speech -- it is why you have it in the USA. Feel free to ignore my "encouragement".

Oh for crying out loud, pick up a damn book. These people are arch criminals. Doesn't anybody read anymore? CNN.com headlines don't count.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
I know I'd actually buy Apple products again if they were "Made in the USA". Absolutely.

Are you also willing to pay a much much higher price for it?

most people always want 'made in the USA' but are not realizing how much more expensive it would be to produce and assemble everything in the USA and probably wouldn't buy the product if they see the price tag caused by 'made in the USA'.

Sudaddy

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2011
What are the chances that Steve Jobs will show up in the meeting? Or will he send Tim Cook as a replacement?

Also, can Mark Zuckerburg post on his status update about Steve Jobs' (if he shows up) current health condition and may be post a picture too? Please??

What surprises me that over the span of 7 pages, no one has predicted that may be these guys just want to meet up and watch Entourage together... Shame on you guys. So much for Mac"Rumors".

farmboy

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2003
Minnesota
Headline reads a little weird.

He's "President Obama" not "Obama"

Hey, it's a headline, as in very brief indication of the accompanying story. Space is limited, titles almost always deleted, especially in the US. Not a sign of disrespect.

farmboy

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2003
Minnesota
Appleinsider.com managed to fit it into the headline.

C, maybe you're being too sensitive. Surely you've noticed that newspapers, for instance, always use the president's last name ONLY...Ike, JFK, LBJ, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, even "W"? Not a big deal. It's always followed by body copy that states "President...." Some of the other posts here, however, show a shocking disrespect for education and reading outside of a narrowly defined political perspective, much less the President.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Even though this is being billed as some kind of industry meeting, because it's a private dinner rather than anything involving the press or photo opportunities, I would wager that it has more to do with schmoozing and fundraising. The Obama re-election campaign has set an informal but oft-stated target of raising one billion dollars for the 2012 election. Corporate and wealthy private donors are crucial for both parties and Wall Street isn't as welcoming this time around.

About Obama's Blackberry, it's an NSA-approved and modified device. I'm guessing the NSA doesn't have the right screwdrivers for an iPhone. ;)

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
Anyone know if the meeting has happened and if so, any WH issued photo? Just to see that Steve is doing better than some rumored and grainy National Enquirer photos and stories?...

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
This is wonderful news. One tug on the Messiah's coat jacket and Steve will be back to 100% health. :p

The republicans love to call Obama the "messiah". They are the religious right after all so they would know. Oh the irony when they actually believe a sky spook plays a part in selecting leaders when it goes their way.

labradoor

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2011
Back to the important matter

Thanks for trying, Chirpie. :(

What I had originally come on here to post about was not the L-word but the C-word. As someone who was diagnosed with stage-4 cancer back in march of 2003 - metastasized to the lymph nodes and liver, i.e., "terminal" and "incurable" according to all available research at the time - I just wanted to put the idea of steve visiting a cancer center into perspective.

When you have potentially/likely fatal cancer, doctors prescribe treatments, surgeries and medicines that they would never prescribe for a "healthy" person because of the often serious side-effects and other consequences. As a result, the against-the-odds survivor is likely to have ongoing medical issues that an oncologist is far more prepared to treat than just a general practitioner. I am cancer free since January of '05 but i still see my oncologist every six months. And still experience some issues related to the treatment that saved my life.

Here's hoping that Steve's experience is working out similar to mine.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!

Maybe MR is just showing the same respect the White House Press Corp showed President Bush, when they just slouched in their chairs when he entered the briefing room, versus, the "snap to" movement often seen when the likes of a Comrade Stalin or Chairman Mao enter a room... :eek:

But according to Obama, we all know who he is... :D

Notice how he says, "Was that my uh"... No it was not yours, it's the President's Seal.

This is your's... :rolleyes:
:apple:

thirdwaver

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2003
Northwest USA
You know what would be the coolest news of all?
Steve Jobs announces after the meeting that they are going to take a few billion of their 67 billion in cash, build a state of the art plant, and manufacture iPads and MacBooks right here in the USA.
I read an article recently (in Forbes I think), where they calculated that Apple COULD do this and still offer the product at about the same price.

Okay, I've had my dream, now feel free to continue your conversation.

I really like your dream. It would payoff dividends for Apple that far exceed simple math. Their good will department has been fired apparently. I say that as a loyal Apple supporter since the mid 80's, mkay? Steve is turning Apple into everything we ALL (including Steve) hated about Microsoft. I simply can't defend the company's actions any longer and I won't. They make great products but their increasing greed and control over content on those products is sickening. I'm actually starting to look at my iPhone differently and getting pretty concerned about Lion and the Mac App Store.

thirdwaver

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2003
Northwest USA
:confused: [citation needed]

You want a citation for what? That President Obama is meeting with silicon valley leaders to get support for his budget? Ok here

Or do you want a citation for the "this is how it's done" part? You don't think that a majority of politics is handled via back room meetings and conversations on the golf course? You don't think Steve is going to put in a plug for his request to have Apple's corporate taxes reduced to 5% so they can bring billions of overseas dollars back into the states on the cheap? I pay 35% income tax and I'm trying to save my damned house right now, but a company that has one of the largest cash surpluses of any company in America can't pay their fair share? In a fiscal crisis? Please.

Sorry for being "ugly". I'm not enjoying all the bubbles Apple's been popping for me lately.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
That's almost as fanciful (and illiterate) as this.

I have found my brainwashed whipping boy. Let the games begin!

"What the fool cannot learn, he laughs at, thinking that by his laughter he shows superiority instead of a latent idiocy." - Marie Corelli

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

lincolntran said:
Do saints bow to each other?

Jobs won't be the one bowing!

To you maybe. How many candles a day?

preferably in Zune brown.

obama probably just wants the latest scoop on the latest round of apple refreshes, like whether the mbp will have ssd, etc.

I agree. :D

What's Steve expecting Obama to do? Lay hands on him and heal of his cancer?

Probably so. :D

It's a good thing Jobs is meeting Obama and not Bush. Bush would probably try to slip him some tongue, like he did with the Saudis...

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's a good thing Jobs is meeting Obama and not Bush. Bush would probably try to slip him some tongue, like he did with the Saudis...

Pretty classless comment.

nickvisic

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2010
meeting with O

hey steve, while you're at it, ask obama why he's still hiding his birth certificate. or, maybe obama is looking for app for that.

Lynxpro

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2005
Please. Companies didn't leave first, employees left first. I worked for a company that had 3 main factory plants, in a high tech industry. One here in MN, one in Mexico, one China. Never visited the other two, but the local one was staffed mainly with recent immigrants, mostly from eastern Asia. Not exactly the "good ol' real American" stuff people like you are reminiscing about, yet have probably never experienced.

And that was 15 years ago when I worked there. Now, the research was here. People here are willing to do that kind of work.

Face it, people here don't want to do this work, not in the numbers it takes to support our high-tech purchasing. It had to leave this country or all this tech wouldn't even exist today. Japan doesn't do this work anymore, either.

You really think no Americans want to work in manufacturing? Tell that to all the former auto workers in Detroit. Tell that to the laid off employees of the former PackardBellNEC plant here in Sacramento or the various people in nearby Folsom and Roseville that have been laid off over the years by Intel and NEC. Or go back to 1984 and tell all the former Atari employees who got laid off when Jack Tramiel sent all the manufacturing jobs over to Taiwan and elsewhere.

The reports are that it would increase the cost of an iPhone anywhere between 10%-20% to have them assembled here in the US. I'd gladly pay that. Furthermore, it boggles my mind that so many businesses and government agencies are so comfortable with purchasing Lenovo computer products when the company is owned by China's People's Liberation Army...

Only in the sick American version of capitalism.
Yes, that's why Apple - unlike Microsoft - doesn't do anything for charity.
Microsoft is as brutal as any other corporation when it comes to business, BUT Microsoft also does a lot for education and charities. And no, I am NOT mistaking Microsoft for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation - those are two different things, but Microsoft has already done a lot before Bill Gates even thought about starting his Foundation.
Microsoft doesn't do this out of the goodness of their hearts. They do this because such investments pave the wave for a better future for everybody which secures the company's own growth on the long run.

Was that meant to be a joke? Microsoft does nothing for charity. "Donating" licenses for Windows and Office do not count as properly donating to charities and schools. Especially since Microsoft is so well known to sue charities and schools who use donated computers yet failed to send Microsoft cash for use of the operating system and other software that came along with those donated computers because Microsoft views that as "piracy".

Maybe Microsoft should focus on paying all the taxes they've shirked from Washington State that has been going on for close to 2 decades now if they want to be serious about their social commitments. The same goes for all of their European tax evasion by sending all their monies through their Irish subsidiary.

Bill Gates also always believed that out-sourcing was an extraordinarily stupid idea and that out-sourcing production and development to foreign countries on the long run only destroys your home country's economy and intellectual resources and capabilities. Because when you outsource development and production to another country, all you do is building up THEIR economy and THEIR infrastructure and THEIR future. By out-sourcing, you're only breeding your future competitors. But it looks great on your short term revenue streams - and greed dictates that you should do this, because, as you've said, businesses are only in this for the money and to increase their revenue.

Are you referring to the same Bill Gates who always lobbies hard for the H1B program that imports foreign software developers so Microsoft doesn't have to pay them equivalent salaries and bennies like true blue Americans? Great example there.

Good point, GE is money hole, and Al Gore sits on Apples Board of Directors.

GE will own General Motors within 5 years.

Not necessarily - it could also mean that we are working on a system such that Stuxnet doesn't happen to our facilities in America. Have you also forgotten the fact that many American companies' servers, including Google and Adobe were hacked by a sophisticated attacked by Chinese Government hackers back in early 2010? Keeping these in mind, we definitely need a security assessment for our infrastructure. Not every thing needs to look suspicious or some form of Government take over.

Just imagine what China could do if they merely took a few million of their citizens and made them computer hackers...

Obama is a smart man. So is Jobs. The issue I see with both is they both have very selfish agendas. That doesn't mean they will try and push each but I would really love to see Gates at least in the convo. Technology is more than just Green Energy and Cool gadgets... philanthropy is something that needs to be looking into.

I'd rather Obama give Nolan Bushnell the same type of medal George W gave to Ralph Baer.

Even though this is being billed as some kind of industry meeting, because it's a private dinner rather than anything involving the press or photo opportunities, I would wager that it has more to do with schmoozing and fundraising. The Obama re-election campaign has set an informal but oft-stated target of raising one billion dollars for the 2012 election. Corporate and wealthy private donors are crucial for both parties and Wall Street isn't as welcoming this time around.

A monarch would be a cheaper alternative to an elected figurehead that we have to replace every 4 to 8 years at great expense and the angering of 50% of the country.

As opposed to Obama who will bow to any tin pot 3rd world dictator he meets. Of course, he won't show the same respect to Queen Elizabeth because he's apparently still butthurt over what the British allegedly/speculatively did to his paternal grandfather.

hey steve, while you're at it, ask obama why he's still hiding his birth certificate. or, maybe obama is looking for app for that.

The thing that bugs me about this is McCain was fully open with all of his records [unlike Obama]. Hell, Congress even had its own investigation into whether or not McCain could even qualify to be POTUS because of where he was born...

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
You really think no Americans want to work in manufacturing? Tell that to all the former auto workers in Detroit. Tell that to the laid off employees of the former PackardBellNEC plant here in Sacramento or the various people in nearby Folsom and Roseville that have been laid off over the years by Intel and NEC. Or go back to 1984 and tell all the former Atari employees who got laid off when Jack Tramiel sent all the manufacturing jobs over to Taiwan and elsewhere.

The problem isn't Americans wanting to work, its the demands of the Unions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.