Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HMFIC03

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2011
Tokyo
Wonder how much this trip will cost the taxpayers. As he is meeting with three of the most influential technology leaders - one would think secure videoconferencing could be used. Isn't that what you granola crunchers preach - save energy, stop pollution...... :confused:

HMFIC03

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2011
Tokyo
When did bowing to foreign leader become unamerican? It's a different culture dude. Everywhere isn't like america where you wave your hand and give a quick howdie-do. I know in my taekwondo class, we bow to the instructor, the korean flag, and the american flag. It shows respect. Not that Fox News knows anything about that. If I was a president, I would apologize for our country too. Americans that are muslim are getting treated like the plague. (though america has improved since the WWII japanese "camps")

First it looks weak. Someone who is in an inferior position will address the person in a superior position with a bow while the person in the superior position may will not bow at all. Exactly what he hid to Hu Jintao.

Gomff

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Yes, that's why Apple - unlike Microsoft - doesn't do anything for charity.

Microsoft is as brutal as any other corporation when it comes to business, BUT Microsoft also does a lot for education and charities. And no, I am NOT mistaking Microsoft for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation - those are two different things, but Microsoft has already done a lot before Bill Gates even thought about starting his Foundation.

Microsoft doesn't do this out of the goodness of their hearts. They do this because such investments pave the wave for a better future for everybody which secures the company's own growth on the long run.

Bill Gates also always believed that out-sourcing was an extraordinarily stupid idea and that out-sourcing production and development to foreign countries on the long run only destroys your home country's economy and intellectual resources and capabilities. Because when you outsource development and production to another country, all you do is building up THEIR economy and THEIR infrastructure and THEIR future. By out-sourcing, you're only breeding your future competitors. But it looks great on your short term revenue streams - and greed dictates that you should do this, because, as you've said, businesses are only in this for the money and to increase their revenue.

I agree, Microsoft and the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation have done a lot for charity and the third world, particularly Africa. Although sometimes it seems like the kids saved from Malaria and Malnutrition just get recruited into militant and radical anti Western groups, it is at it's heart commendable.

The bit about Outsourcing is totally, totally wrong though. I know for a fact that huge amounts of Microsoft code is outsourced to India, and most likely other countries besides.

I agree with the main thrust of your argument though. The reason why China is becoming the second largest global economic force is because of the amount of manufacturing and export it is responsible for. Manufacturing and factory work have become dirty words in the West, where we assume that we can keep ahead of Eastern economies with technological design, blogging and Starbucks but it's a burning platform, especially when your competitors have little respect for copyright or patents. Manufacture and export of real products at competitive prices is the real arbiter of a strong economy and many Western economies have been coasting for a while now.

We need to get back to manufacturing more products in the West again. Part of this involves consumers & businesses understanding the true cost of manufacture, both social and economic so as to make it sustainable. The race to the lowest possible price and highest profit margin if measured in purely financial terms is a race down the road to hell.

nptski

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
newport beach, ca
The President occupies the office of President and is always referred to as Mr. The founders were very sensitive regarding this as the English were so into titles that referred to social rank.

LordTyroxx

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2008
Either there's a ghost eating my posts, or biased mods here.

Why not delete every bit of the argument instead of just the liberal side? I understand the need for moderation on here, but trolls need moderating more than debaters. There wasn't a flame war going on. Nothing was too serious. If mods start deleting every point I post, I'll be on my way to a better mac site. (there are plenty out there)

I know you could probably use the excuse, "my content wasn't relevant to the topic" and I know that. But neither are other people's posts that are still here. Please send me a PM explaining this to me since i have no idea who's deleting everything. I don't understand how anyone gets to be a mod from being so passive aggressive towards someone with differing opinions than himself.

Or maybe NewsCorp bought out macrumors? :p

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Apr 30, 2008
From the Midwest to the Northeast

Why not delete every bit of the argument instead of just the liberal side? I understand the need for moderation on here, but trolls need moderating more than debaters. There wasn't a flame war going on. Nothing was too serious. If mods start deleting every point I post, I'll be on my way to a better mac site. (there are plenty out there)

I know you could probably use the excuse, "my content wasn't relevant to the topic" and I know that. But neither are other people's posts that are still here. Please send me a PM explaining this to me since i have no idea who's deleting everything. I don't understand how anyone gets to be a mod from being so passive aggressive towards someone with differing opinions than himself.

We have a mole here who's playing 'god mod' here, favoring the Apple fanboys. Somebody's afraid of a little controversy, I think as I was trying to correct one poster here in relation to a Minority Report mention.

LordTyroxx

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2008
We have a mole here who's playing 'god mod' here, favoring the Apple fanboys. Somebody's afraid of a little controversy, I think as I was trying to correct one poster here in relation to a Minority Report mention.

yeah man. I feel you. I mean, it's kinda ridiculous for mods to do stuff like that (be it favoring apple fanboy supremacy or not). I'm a mod on another website and I never delete stuff without letting the person know why (if it wasn't just a spam post).

Like I said in a previous topic, if everyone agreed on everything, there would be no purpose for a message board to exist on the internet.

Last edited:

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
yeah man. I feel you. I mean, it's kinda ridiculous for mods to do stuff like that (be it favoring apple fanboy supremacy or not). I'm a mod on another website and I never delete stuff without letting the person know why (if it wasn't just a spam post).

Like I said in a previous topic, if everyone agreed on everything, there would be no purpose for a message board to exist on the internet.

Wow. Talk about politically-biased editing.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Obama needs some extra lunch money?

If he needed lunch money, he'd have some union thugs shake someone down for it. Most of them are in Wisconsin now but even they are not able to change a few million people waking up and refusing to take gov't aide.

zenio

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
Thanks to the highly polarizing and entertaining characters (Apple, Jobs, et al) this is quite a humorous thread.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
either there's a ghost eating my posts, or biased mods here.

Why not delete every bit of the argument instead of just the liberal side? I understand the need for moderation on here, but trolls need moderating more than debaters. There wasn't a flame war going on. Nothing was too serious. If mods start deleting every point i post, i'll be on my way to a better mac site. (there are plenty out there)

i know you could probably use the excuse, "my content wasn't relevant to the topic" and i know that. But neither are other people's posts that are still here. Please send me a pm explaining this to me since i have no idea who's deleting everything. I don't understand how anyone gets to be a mod from being so passive aggressive towards someone with differing opinions than himself.

Or maybe newscorp bought out macrumors? :p

qft

FranksWildYears

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010

7202_NixonBowToMao1.JPG

bush-bow.jpg

bush-bowed.jpg

20091116-fncbow2.jpg

No pictures of Reagan bowing to QE2, but it certainly happened. ;)

Hal Itosis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2010
Or do you want a citation for the "this is how it's done" part? You don't think that a majority of politics is handled via back room meetings and conversations on the golf course? You don't think Steve is going to put in a plug for his request to have Apple's corporate taxes reduced to 5% so they can bring billions of overseas dollars back into the states on the cheap?
It wasn't about what "i think". You made the claim; i merely asked for some corroboration that such events will actually take place in this case [from a source other than you.]

I pay 35% income tax and I'm trying to save my damned house right now, but a company that has one of the largest cash surpluses of any company in America can't pay their fair share? In a fiscal crisis? Please.

Sorry for being "ugly". I'm not enjoying all the bubbles Apple's been popping for me lately.
Apple is popping bubbles for you? :confused: [citation and clarification needed]

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.