Steve Jobs, you just DONT GET IT sometimes..

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Speedtoy, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Speedtoy macrumors member

OK..so I bought a stack of stuff at the Apple store for Xmas, and almost as an afterthought, I asked about printers..

"Yes, we have a nice HP for $99.."

So I bought it. Ive been VERY happy with it Steve..

But today, I go to the same Apple Store (nevermind that all apple stores are so wildly out of my way) to get some cartridges that I need for the kids birthday cards.

Ok...printers are not shown for sale in a computer store, thats screwup #1 Steve, and having to socially "compete" with other shoppers for sales staff attention for cartridges that are as missing as the printers that you _do_ sell are, I find out some way stupid news.

"We sell HP and Cannon printers, but as a company, we only stock Cannon cartridges. You can get them at Walgreens however...heres the address..."

Steve...WTF?

Did your sales associate, in your COMPUTER store, just send me to bloody Walgreens for a _ink cartridge_ for a printer that you sell today?

Thats like Walgreens sending shoppers to your store for a hemorrhoid ointment, isnt it?

Oh yes, it seems I can order these online, but thats pretty weak Steve. The cartridge that I order online tonight, wont see me until next week.

Kid's birthday wont go on hold for Apple's consumer marketing department to figure out how to sell printer supplies, for a printer _in stock_ in every Apple store, but not displayed ?

Steve..theres gotta be an easy 60% markup on ink cartridges, especially if they come from the apple store, because its elite. Also..it draws in people who -own- apple products to buy more stuff for the iphone 3G because you cant use original Iphone gear to charge the danged things..the additional profit draw from ink cartridges is pretty fat Steve.

Geesh.

So..lets go over this.

I can go to the apple store to buy an Apple computer, I suppose. But after my major purchases, what exactly do I need the apple store for anymore Steve? Whats to draw me back? The accessory selection for phones/etc is pretty weak, theres no longer any reason for me to visit your profit engine for ink cartridges I guess..

What is _in_ the apple store that I, or anyone else really needs after the initial hardware purchase _if_ we go out of our way to get it in your store..since youre doing such a knockup job of making sure that other retailers sell the same things at the same price?

If you dont wanna sell HP ink, stop selling HP printers, thats just stupid.

2. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

Your this upset over an ink catridge? I dont get it. :confused: Just go to best buy, staples, walgreens even to get it...its not that big of a deal.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Although I dont think it is Steve's fault ... He does bring up a good point, stores should carry at least the basic accessories for the products they sell.

It would be like the Apple store sending you to best buy for a case for your ipod.

4. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Steve Jobs, you just DONT GET IT sometimes..

Steve Jobs always GETS IT.. my money that is :p

I see where you are coming from with your argument, but there is definitely no need to get as worked up over it as you are!! Its not like the Apple Store advertises itself as a printer supplies shop. They just sell the odd printer to help people make the entire purchase of their computer setup convenient.

Getting the cartridges online would also be a pretty good route. You don't need to leave home, have a wide choice and you can get them delivered pretty quickly as well.

5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

It probably isn't worth the shelf space at Apple for them to carry it. I just wish there was a standard for all printers. Every printer seems to have their own. Then perhaps it would be easier for Apple to carry it in stock.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You do understand that your printer is bundled with the ink cartridges you need to last for weeks, don't you? There is no need to buy replacements when you buy your printer. OfficeMax, Office Depot, Staples, and every chain drug store will have plenty when you need them.

I suppose that when you learn that the Apple Store doesn't sell paper, you will pop a vein.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Go to a Wal-Mart. They're mostly open 24 hours a day for your printer ink fix.

Seriously, though. You're lucky enough to have an Apple Store within three hours of you (Whereas I...). It's called an Apple Store for a reason. If there's an Apple Store where you are, there's a Wal-Mart.

I'm not calling you out for this; it's the same as someone complaining about Wal-Mart not having the 32GB touch or 160GB classic. Not all stores have all products. Best Buy sells cases for the iPhone... but not iPhones. Same situation.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Well too bad they miss a sale. However the thing is inkjet cartridges are commodity products that can be bought anywhere (i.e. staples, best buy, etc.)

They cartridges are the same size as or larger than iPods, and the store will definitely make less money per unit than selling iPods or iPhones. I wonder which would they rather have in stock

9. ski2moro macrumors 6502

I like the clean look of the sales floor in an Apple Store.
    I like having the Genius Bar available.
    I like to have accessories available for visual comparison.
    I like open spaces for classes.
    I like places for kids to sit and play quietly. (Well, it's a theory.)
    I wish they had more software titles available in the store for impulse purchases.

So what would you be willing to sacrifice so that Apple could start carrying all the different kinds of ink?

What should Apple stock?

Quality cables? Yes, definitely.
    External drives, yes.
    Cameras? Meh.
    Printers? Nice for a rebate/sales tool, but I wouldn't necessarily go to an Apple Store to buy a printer if my printer quit. I'd probably go to the nearest big box store.
    What next? TVs to go with Apple TV?

I second the belief that there are so many other places that sell ink, Apple doesn't need to. Next time you order something online, buy an extra to keep for a spare.

My vote is to keep Apple Stores stocked with Apple products and not tie up inventory money with junk you can by anywhere.

10. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Now that is funny lol :D Will I go to my local store and ask them for paper, see what they say to me? :)

11. iGary Guest

iGary

Staples, Office Depot?

Did you call before you went to the store to make sure they had them?

I mean if it's a big enough deal to bitch about it, surely you called to make sure they had them before you drove to the store?

Plus, printers change like every 4-5 months - do you expect them to have ages worth of cartridges for everything?

I think you're being silly, personally.

12. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

All that huffing and puffing over a bit of coloured liquid?? :eek:
    Just calm down already.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And they should carry surge protectors too.

Of all the things people bitch about on here, this has got to be one of the funniest.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I suppose if I went to a clothing store that also happened to sell shoes, bought clothes and shoes and then, the shoe strings broke, I would think I should go...to Target, K-Mart, or anywhere else they sold shoe strings.

However, Apple have printers available to offer them as part of a deal. They probably don't sell any printers outright.

I don't see Apple concerned about selling supplies, ever, though if they sell for one, they should sell for the other.

15. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I agree

P.S. iGary Lives! Welcome back! Where ya been? :)

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

He was searching for ink cartridges for his printer.

17. Speedtoy thread starter macrumors member

Maybe you dont appreciate your time to go 30mi outside of your daily grind to get something you know you need, from a place you KNOW should have it, and while youre at it, maybe shop around for some small crap you dont really need, but its all there anyway?

A lot of us do, and Steve burned an hour out of a tight day, for a really important thing I had to do for home..and I cant get that time back, neither can my daughter who was not able to deliver her invitations on the last day of YMCA daycamp.

Any questions Mr Freetime?

18. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Fixed that for ya! ;)

19. todd2000 macrumors 68000

If getting the Ink cartridges was SO important to you, and you needed them in such a hurry, why did you drive 30min out of the way to get them? Go to the nearest office supply store, and be done with it!

20. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yeah, one. Why didn't you use the included ink cartridges to print these invitations?

21. iOrlando macrumors 68000

I have 2 apple stores within half hour of me. 3 within 50 mintues. Steve must love Connecticut. I still order online though. I find sales asscoiates in apple store dont know as much about the products compared to most regulars on macrumors.com

22. todd2000 macrumors 68000

He bought the printer for Xmas in Dec., he needed the cartridges today. Im assuming the originals were used up.

23. Speedtoy thread starter macrumors member

I would probably give up one of the five pegs of the same kind of iPhone skin that doesnt sell really hot.

Havent you noticed how _thin_ the merchandising really is inside an apple store?

500 pegs of accessories, but only ~100 unique items.

Yes, Apple will still sell its gear thru whatever channel people will buy it, but the concept of a retail establishment is being able to CAPTURE those sales for yourself.

For all those that think im whining about this, whats your background in owning retail property?

You can buy motor oil anywhere, but..do you not do oil changes at your dealership when someone is willing to see you for one, because you dont feel like stocking the special 10W20 oil your -has- to have to not die? "Ya, we dont carry that, but you can check out the Saturn dealer down the street..."

A guy dont walk on the lot 'lest he wants to buy...A B C.

Lets also get one thing straight, were only talking about -two- SKUs here. Not ink for every printer Apple every sold. Just the one that they sell today.

And lastly, yes, online shopping would have worked out great, a week ago. But I guess the need for shopping in real time missed the people adding that assistance.

I didnt need a cartridge next wednesday, I needed it last night, and was in a time crunch where digging thru Frys would have taken to long, but a strategic blip into an Apple store, that'd be quick. Daycare doesnt stay open late for ink shopping detours in my state.

24. Speedtoy thread starter macrumors member

Golly..let me think...

OH ya, they were empty.

---
    ya..I dont mind online, when its useful.

There is a walmart near my house...35mi the other way, and thats the close one.

The SF Bay Area has been pretty resistant to WM's.

25. aristobrat macrumors G4

Which Apple store did you go to? I've never seen one where you couldn't find ink sold by another retailer within 2-3 miles max.

The Apple store near me sells about 10 different models. Only two were $99, but you could get that $100 rebate towards the price of any of the more expensive models. So it's not "just -two- SKUs", especially considering many of the other printers had separate cartridges for different colors.