Steve was right!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abluehaze, Sep 20, 2014.

1. abluehaze, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014

abluehaze macrumors regular

I'm absolutely hating the iPhone 6 I got yesterday for reasons which I'll outline below.

1. The phone is too big and awkward to use one handed.
    Apple instead should have stuck with one size that was the same as the 5S or only very slightly larger and then also offered a large phone for the Android phablet fans, instead Apple offered us two phones, neither of which are practical to use one handed.

2. The design looks and feels like a Samsung phone using Apple materials.
    The 5 and 5S are gorgeous devices that looked like nothing else at the time. The device even today looks like a work of art. These new designs are super generic and are nearly indistinguishable from many Samsung and Android phones.

3. The ugly antenna bands on the back are a huge step down from the 5/5S.
    Was the same intern that designed the iOS7 icons responsible for the back of these devices?

4. The phones feel like slippery, rounded plastic devices in the hand.
    These phones have no grip to them whatsoever and will be dropped more often than the 5 and 5S I'm sure.

This phone really feels like a product of a company that feels very threatened by Samsung and is being reactionary instead of revolutionary. Nothing about the 6 or 6 plus feels or looks new or different. The iPhone now looks like a generic Android phone and has completely thrown out most of what Steve worked so hard to establish with his company and devices. I'm a long time Apple fanatic and am extremely disappointed in this device, so much so that I'm considering returning it and going back to 5S until the next iPhone design or switching to Android. Even iOS 8 feels like a total reactionary response to Android. We now have Swype and other third party keyboards that consume resources, drain battery life and can crash etc.

Not all is terrible, I do like the ability to reply to a Message without leaving the app I'm in. That's the best feature so far of the new phones and iOS8, I'm sure Apple Pay will be another killer feature for the new phones but design wise this is a new Apple and it's a Apple that I don't like. This is a sad day indeed for fellow Jobsians. This is NOT a design Steve would have green lighted.

:( :apple: :(

2. bnahms123 macrumors newbie

do you feel better now?

3. z06gal macrumors 6502

4. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

5. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I thought the same. I'm contemplating on a Gold or Silver 5S 32GB for $599 unlocked at Apple.

6. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

What a waste of time. I did not even read the whole thing. Get over it and return the phone if you are not happy.

7. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

You're completely disregarding his opinion then and telling him to close the door on his way out.

8. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I mostly agree with your points.
    I would choose the iPhone 4/5 design over the iPhone 6 and 6+ any time. The form factor of those is much more appealing to me. Same for the back, and the camera's protrusion is not something I enjoy either.
    As a separate point, I find that handling the iPhone 6 is not comfortable at all for me, being too thin and light. Even the 5s is probably too thin for me. I'm sure many would prefer having a device that is a little less light and thin to improve the comfort of having it in the hand.

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

10. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Steve jobs also became a vegan because he thought it meant he wouldn't have to bathe. And he thought herbal remedies would cure his disease vs medical care, which would've saved his life.

11. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

No he can have an opinion, but really claiming Apple made a bad decision and just followed Samsung because he does not like the phone is just crazy. This forum is already full of complaining about the new phones. This one just does not make much sense.

12. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

The posthumous Steve Jobs posts are my favorite. :cool:

13. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

14. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

My wife an iPhone snob hates her new 6 for the size factor alone. Too big for her, so it's going back and she's keeping her 5.

Thank goodness I did not sell hers yet, almost did.

To each there open, but OP is not alone.

15. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I must admit that after spending many months longing for a bigger screen, I will kinda miss the one-handed usability of the iPhone 5/5S. In terms of a completely portable device it is fantastic. Plus the design is far more classy and 'premium' than the iPhone 6. Something just slightly larger than the 5S would have been a winner for plenty of folk.

16. uchosen macrumors 6502

13 replies in and no obligatory "Cool story bro"? What have we become?

17. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

U mad bro?

18. uchosen macrumors 6502

There ya go! :D

19. wxman2003 Suspended

Steve told me he likes the 6 Plus. I got that message while wearing my tin foil hat. Steve don't lie and he ain't no hater.

20. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

21. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

And you can neither please nor displease Steve, who is still dead and during his life was certainly known to change his opinion.

22. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You are in luck! They still sell the 5S. I hear availability is good.

23. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I agree with you to some degree OP.

I can almost use it one handed, but my hand begins to ache. I'm nervous I could easily drop the phone someday too.

While the larger screens are simply terrific, it seems the 6 is slightly large for me.

Still, what else am I going to get? I already have a 5 and a 5S. I'm going to go ahead and keep the 6. If it becomes too much of a problem, I could always pop my sim card back in one of the other devices.

Overall though, while it would never been "exciting" enough to survive, for pure portability, the 5/5S was the sweet spot I guess.

Not complaining. I think Apple had to make the change, but there was something about what they kept beating into us before about one hand.

24. lemonade-maker macrumors 6502

lemonade-maker

25. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

The design and screen size is new and different. Although this particular launch of iPhones is drastically different compared to previously launches. Apple obviously felt compelled to released these screen sizes primarily cause "people want what we don't have."

I'm pleased that Apple released the 6 plus. If you have the 5s.. keep that form factor. It's not as if it's not being supported by Apple. You are entitled to your opinion.. but as sales indicate not everyone agrees with you and Steve.