Stick w/ iPhone 3G or Switch to Blackberry Bold ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jw nyc, Nov 3, 2008.

1. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

I currently have the iPhone 3G which has been great aside for some of the basic features it's missing (ehem** copy/paste **ehem). I'm currently thinking about switching back to the Blackberry tomorrow for the Bold (I previously had the pearl & curve) but I'm worried that I'll miss the apps I've downloaded, the web browsing experience, iPod features etc.

From the Blackberry world, I miss BBM (I used to have the curve). Most of my friends have blackberries and it was the best way to communicate. Also, the iPhone has no copy/paste & sms forwarding which doesn't sound like a big deal but you don't realize how often you need it until you no longer have it and it's very annoying.

Can someone convince me by giving me some good reasons why I should stick with the iPhone and why it is a better device than the Bold (I use it for both work and personal use and am a pretty heavy user). The keyboard is a nonissue for me b/c I'm just as fast and accurate on the iPhone as I was on my curve. Thanks for the help.

2. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

You know why the BB is better from your Curve, well the Bold is better still :)
    The iPhone will be great, but it might frustrate you for not being as reliable as the BB, nor lasting as long on a charge...

3. Pared macrumors 65816

Just go with the BB. It will be one less person clogging up our bandwidth. ;)

4. daisuke07 macrumors regular

Blsckberrys don't turn heads like the iPhone. It's a thick brick. And you'll have to pay more to get the bold because of the contract.

5. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

Aside from the keyboard issues, Blackberry screen is way too small, trackball is a pain to use, no touch screen, and overall the functionality and user-friendliness is not as good as Apple OS.
    Believe me, I had thought about it myself because I actually prefer a physical keyboard, but those above stated issues, combined with the fact of not being nearly as many apps for the BB, and terrible interface for music and media, I elected to stay with the iphone. Besides the fact that I had a Treo before and hated it.
    My phone is jailbroken, so it will do a lot more than a stock iphone will, and I suspect that Apple will eventually get it together with more features, or someone will come out with an app, whether in the app store or a third party app for the missing features sooner or later.

Oh, one last thing I thought of is that the BB is still bigger and wider than the iphone, so not nearly as comfortable as sticking an iphone in your pocket. If you are one to carry your iphone in your jeans pocket, the Bold would be much more awkward.

6. denm316 macrumors 6502

I dont think iPhones turn heads anymore. When I see a 55 year old guy using it and having to look over the brim of his glasses...it isnt cool anymore.

Oh and no offense to seniors.

7. denm316 macrumors 6502

Same 3G network...fool

8. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

if i can get a bold for free i will switch back and forth from iphone to bold, but i dont think i would actually pay for it since i already have the iphone.

bold is quick, processor is insane on it, and the picture quality is better than the iphone so videos look sick on it. its a nice phone and i hear the battery is amazing.

each have their positives and negatives. iphone is just more fun tho.

9. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Really,

iPhone 115.5mm x 62.1mm x 12.3mm
    Bold 114.3mm x 60mm x 12.7mm

10. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

should be getting the Bold soon for work. But i have a choice I think (waiting on this) as I've heard we can also get a Verizon Storm issued to us. It depends though. I know where I am at the majority is ATT with Verizon issued to a lot of the techy guys. Executives/MGT get the ATT blackberry. not sure who devises this but...

So it will be kinda cool as I'll be able to do a side by side with either a Storm or Bold. we'll see.

11. daisuke07 macrumors regular

yes

12. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Naive statement

13. Al2009 macrumors member

I think I'm gonna buy the Bold and keep the 3G as well, just have to figure out a way to use both devices with the same sim??? I read somewhere on one of the threads where the OP was using both on the same sim. Have to do some investigative work.:D

14. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

can you read? 2 out of 3 dimensions are smaller than the iphone and one is a half millimeter larger, thats hardly a brick pal

15. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular

nitewolfgtr

I think this is a wrong forum to be asking that question since the answers would be biased.

By biased answer would be to stick with iPhone. There just isn't any phones that is better than iPhone at the moment. Yes, BB Bold looks promising but I think see it as a imitator.

16. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

If cut and paste is that important to you, then go buy a Blackberry Bold.

No I can't, because it's a personal choice. Choose the one that is right for you...

17. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

if the Blackberry had somthing similar to the app store I would consider it, but theres no way I would give up app store. I went 1 day without it and it was crazy!

18. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

I wouldn't get a BB because the iPhone is superior.

iPod
    8GB or 16GB - Not familiar with BB but I'm sure the capacity is nowhere near
    Awesome interface
    Apps - To infinity and beyond
    Don't they have clock radios for the iPhone?

Whoever says it's not a head turner, is going to the wrong places. Seniors are allowed to buy iPhones and Ferraris, and they're both awesome.

19. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

It's really a pretty basic cost/benefit analysis. Just run it, and pick the phone whose benefits are greater than its costs for you.

I really don't think you are going to get an unbiased on an iPhone forum. Which leads me to believe you might be hedging your bets a bit by asking here.

There really aren't a ton of major differences, just things like MMS and Copy & Paste. If those are essential to you, then your choice is made...

If you want my very biased opinion- get the iPhone. It has been perfect for me both in work and my personal life. Exchange support is great, MobileMe (for me at least) has been flawless, the AppStore rocks and fills almost every hole in the OS, and basically it's a little Mac. My computer of choice! I'd pick the iPhone over a BB anytime and every time. Even if the BB would be free.

20. iblastoff macrumors 6502

i would have to agree that the iphone is hardly a head turner anymore.

if i had to do it all over again i would probably have gotten a BB instead. the iphone is just so insanely buggy for a phone and messes up even more often than my old computer running windows xp. its slow, laggy, and backups still take forever despite upgrading to 2.1.

even jailbroken with backgrounder doesn't solve multi-tasking issues at all. i tried running simplify to stream music from my computer and then running the facebook app at the same time. basically simplify just chooses to close when i start loading photos on facebook because i assume the iphones processor/memory is just pathetic and can't handle the load.

i would say the iphone is more about presentation than functionality. yah sure it has a slick UI but honestly thats really about the only benefit you get on it. most of the apps in the app store are completely useless and are just ways for crappy developers to make a quick buck with crappy apps. hardware wise i don't know how many times i've needed flash on the iphones garbage camera during the past few months i've had one. wish i had realized that before getting one.

3g speed is nice where i am. too bad i can barely use it or else the phone just dies due to crappy battery life.

all in all i'm alright with an iphone but if i ever decide to bother to switch i would do it in a heart beat.

21. redman042 macrumors 68020

Dude, ya gotta do your own pros/cons analysis of the Bold and the iPhone, then make your move. You have plenty of info on this forum (some biased, some not) to help you with your decision.

I can tell you I narrowed my choices to a Bold or an iPhone a few months back after deciding to ditch WinMo. I went iPhone, and am very glad I did. There are a few things about the Bold that I know are better, but I could never ditch the iPhone, because overall it is the slickest phone out there. The apps in particular keep me hooked! Also the MS Exchange integration is key, and even BB's don't have that unless your company gets BB Enterprise Server.

No the iPhone doesn't turn heads anymore. But the continuous flow of new and amazing apps DOES wow people every time I show them off. There is always something new. The Bold may be a shiny new toy on the surface, but deep down it has the same tired core OS (with a new skin, granted) and poor selection of apps, so soon the shine will wear off.

Just my $0.02.

22. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

Doesn't this contradict itself? Unless we mean literally turning heads.

I also disagree that it's not a head turner. It's not as wow as last year because it's almost a year and a half later. But it's pretty advanced.

But then again, I don't really care :p I'm happy with my iPhone.

23. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

if you want to switch to a BB atleast wait for the storm and see how that is.

24. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

After waiting and waiting and waiting (for updates and or fixes) I am just like you.

For me it has been frustrating and it's actually helps my decision.

Agree

Mine is actually going to a senior citizen who can't see too well anymore and needs a phone that is easy to use. She is so happy to have access to a cell phone she can actually use. That makes me feel pretty good to help her out.

I agree also. What has helped me decide is the need for a phone that is a work horse. I need a phone that can handle 50-100 emails a day, text messaging or other messaging and has copy and paste along with Bluetooth that is not crippled. I also need my phone to last for at least 12 hours. I switched to the iPhone 3G when it came out to see how it worked and learn more through actually experience with the phone. The phone has been fun to use but?....... Has to go. I'm switching back and looking forward to having a reliable phone that does what it suppose to.

I have enjoyed the iPhone but I can't count on it to deliver. I'm tired of being late and out of touch because I missed emails and it dropped calls.

25. Aumz macrumors member

GO FOR THE BOLD a much better prduct than the iphone
    Take away the GUI of the iphone and its not impressive at all.

I made the mistake of not waiting for the Bold to be launched over here and took the iPhone and I have regretted it ever since I am now stuck for 18 months with a product that has lots of updates to come out for it in those 18 months but not what the consumer wants just what apple want to give us.

MMS, copy and paste, decent e-mail service, limited Bluetooth, copy and paste, office suite.....things they should concentrate on and not streetview