Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
The morning after pre order usually falls weeks after launch day delivery. I can still pick a 8am pickup time for launch day. Never seen that for a new model launch.

Lots of supply or not an immediate demand for the cheaper versions?

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yes I'm surprised too. Every color and storage combination is still available for Oct. 26th delivery in Canada. Either they delayed the launch to make sure they had ample supply to meet initial demand, or the XR isn't an iPhone model that will see a lot of pre-orders (since tech enthusiasts already have their XS/Max) but it will probably see very steady sales by the non tech crowd once it is available in store.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Yes I'm surprised too. Every color and storage combination is still available for Oct. 26th delivery in Canada. Either they delayed the launch to make sure they had ample supply to meet initial demand, or the XR isn't an iPhone model that will see a lot of pre-orders (since tech enthusiasts already have their XS/Max) but it will probably see very steady sales by the non tech crowd once it is available in store.

Watch, we will still here “best selling iPhone ever” just like we always here “best iPhone ever made” yearly... yawn. Lol

Reactions: Breezygirl

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yeah I guess I got up at 3:00 for nothing. I could have just woken up at my usual time. Oh well, no biggie. It was fun.

I like it better this way. Good on Apple if they are finally making enough so customers can walk in, look around and leave with the iPhone of their choice the same day.

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
Yellow & red are sold out in uk apparently.
[doublepost=1539967403][/doublepost]
Yeah I guess I got up at 3:00 for nothing. I could have just woken up at my usual time. Oh well, no biggie. It was fun.

I like it better this way. Good on Apple if they are finally making enough so customers can walk in, look around and leave with the iPhone of their choice the same day.

I passed out during the last quarter of tnf then woke up to the 3am alarm I set lol.

Reactions: 5105973

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA

It goes by so quick now it’s loke waking up to go Pee. Lol

Reactions: 5105973

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Yellow & red are sold out in uk apparently.
[doublepost=1539967403][/doublepost]

I passed out during the last quarter of tnf then woke up to the 3am alarm I set lol.

I passed out during XS pre order and they only had 512 available the next morning so just walked in launch day 8am and got one. This year is better than pasts. Split launch help’s a lot.
[doublepost=1539967745][/doublepost]
It also helps that there are 72 versions of this phone. I know they can all support the same carriers but it seems that TMobile yellow is sold out when ATT yellow isn't.

Ya but what is easier for them to produce. 3 storage options with 2 colors or 3 with 5 colors. So I think the 72 different would be even harder to turn them out.

Reactions: white4s and 5105973

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
Depends on the carrier. T-Mobile is pretty much sold out of launch day units in the more colorful options. Apple would be stupid if they didnt have these in store on release day and beyond though. These are phones aimed at people who dont stay up until 3am to pre-order. Or pre-order at all. These are the kind of phones that sell to people right when they see them.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

Let’s hope so as 90+% of global iPhone users aren’t enthusiasts. People who get excited by iPhones and talk about them online are a rare breed in the grand scheme.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Let’s hope so as 90+% of global iPhone users aren’t enthusiasts. People who get excited by iPhones and talk about them online are a rare breed in the grand scheme.

But that doesn’t explain past launch’s. The past 5 years if you didn’t pre order within an hour you didn’t get one. That is no longer the case.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
But that doesn’t explain past launch’s. The past 5 years if you didn’t pre order within an hour you didn’t get one. That is no longer the case.
I haven’t known a huge amount of hype around launches since the iPhone 6 and more and more people are keeping phones longer than 2 years so ultimately this will affect demand. Your statement about them selling out for the past 5 years is not representative of a global situation. The iPhone X didn’t sell out immediately and where I live it was available for several days after launch. Last month the XS and Max were still available and never completely sold out to my knowledge.

Times have changed and now iPhones are less improved year on year there simply isn’t a need to upgrade as often.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
I haven’t known a huge amount of hype around launches since the iPhone 6 and more and more people are keeping phones longer than 2 years so ultimately this will affect demand. Your statement about them selling out for the past 5 years is not representative of a global situation. The iPhone X didn’t sell out immediately and where I live it was available for several days after launch. Last month the XS and Max were still available and never completely sold out to my knowledge.

Times have changed and now iPhones are less improved year on year there simply isn’t a need to upgrade as often.

I think the price has driven people to just keep them longer. Plus Apple is promoting keeping them longer now too. Well all good
For me for being a yearly upgrader.
[doublepost=1539970063][/doublepost]

Last year for the X we had a line at our Apple store for pickups and walk ins. This year only 3 people for XS and 0 at ATT in same mall.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I think the price has driven people to just keep them longer. Plus Apple is promoting keeping them longer now too. Well all good
For me for being a yearly upgrader.
[doublepost=1539970063][/doublepost]

Last year for the X we had a line at our Apple store for pickups and walk ins. This year only 3 people for XS and 0 at ATT in same mall.
Price has definitely killed the desirability of new iPhones these days. It’s gone from a £600-£700 device that is upgraded because you can, to a device that is a significant short term investment that is nearly double the previous monthly tariff. It’s more about weighing up the pro’s and cons now and less about being cool for owning the latest iPhone. Around the office where I work it’s become more of a bragging right to show off the cheapest contract whereas it used to be full of people owning the newly launched iPhone. Apple are adapting to a mature and less interesting market I would say.

Reactions: Breezygirl

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
On the plus side, since I fell asleep before pre-orders opened last night I thought I would be out of luck to get one for a few weeks. Based on this response I think I'm going to wait until they have them on display in the Apple store so I can decide what color I really like (or bite the bullet and get an XS instead).

mrvirginia

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2009
Almost all configurations, with the exception of Black/White, for T-Mob have slipped past Oct 26 delivery.
I got white. I'm always concerned with scratching/discoloration of anything that isn't silver or aluminum colored. I'm sure a lot of us remember how that went with the iPhone 7 matte black LOL

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
It’s not surprising. This phone is aimed at the enormous wedge of people who are sitting on iPhone 5s/6/6s/7 and are in the market to upgrade over the coming year. They’re not the type of consumer that has replacing their iPhone at the top of the priority list. They probably won’t even be aware the XR exists until they walk into store in their own sweet time ready to change.

Reactions: AppleDior31

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
It’s not surprising. This phone is aimed at the enormous wedge of people who are sitting on iPhone 5s/6/6s/7 and are in the market to upgrade over the coming year. They’re not the type of consumer that has replacing their iPhone at the top of the priority list. They probably won’t even be aware the XR exists until they walk into store in their own sweet time ready to change.

The 5c was discoutnuined the next year. So there cheaper colorful idea didn’t last and had the same idea.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The 5c was discoutnuined the next year. So there cheaper colorful idea didn’t last and had the same idea.
The iPhone 5C was an iPhone 5 packaged in a cheaper plastic casing and was marketed as an affordable iPhone due to its low price point and year old internals at the time. The XR is not supposed to be a budget model but a mid tier device aimed at the mainstream iPhone user that isn’t interested in the XS. It’s a totally different concept. The colours are just for extra appeal much like iPods of old.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana

5c was a different animal all together. It truly was older technology in every way. Not so with the XR. Apple had a month to fully ramp up production. If these phones ship from the US instead of China that will be telling as well as to how well the ramped up production. Trying to read anything into this is a fools game.

PeteS1963

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
5c was a different animal all together. It truly was older technology in every way. Not so with the XR. Apple had a month to fully ramp up production. If these phones ship from the US instead of China that will be telling as well as to how well the ramped up production. Trying to read anything into this is a fools game.

Totally agree. And if they fixed any initial manufacturering issues they could have constructed a massive number of phones in one month.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
If that’s your prediction, fine.

But the reality is, the XR is a very different beast. It’s the iPhone that’s bringing the new full screen design with FaceID to the mainstream consumer. And not only that, it’s got bang up to date internals and has the same finish and build details of the iPhone 8 it replaces. It will sell in enormous numbers.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
If Apple started production the same time as the Xs and Max, then they had another month of production before release. Heck, less than a month after the release of the Xs and max, there is no shortage, and you can walk into an Apple store, and buy one now. Gone are the days of waiting until November to get your phone if you didn't order in the first 15 minutes.

gelie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2010
If that’s your prediction, fine.

But the reality is, the XR is a very different beast. It’s the iPhone that’s bringing the new full screen design with FaceID to the mainstream consumer. And not only that, it’s got bang up to date internals and has the same finish and build details of the iPhone 8 it replaces. It will sell in enormous numbers.
Maybe, But the only family member who wanted a Xr was my 13 yr old daughter(just picked up a Yellow one). My other kids thought it looks like a "toy phone" they opted for a 8+ or Xs...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.