iPhone XR Still all colors and storage available for XR?

SML404

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2011
On the plus side, since I fell asleep before pre-orders opened last night I thought I would be out of luck to get one for a few weeks. Based on this response I think I'm going to wait until they have them on display in the Apple store so I can decide what color I really like (or bite the bullet and get an XS instead).
Similar boat. I actually preordered one at 3am but when I woke up this morning and saw you could still get them everywhere, I cancelled my order. I'll wait til I can go see one in person, hear some user reviews and then decide what to do.... or maybe wait a few more weeks and black friday ads will start surfacing in Nov.

Renho

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
The iPhone 5C was an iPhone 5 packaged in a cheaper plastic casing and was marketed as an affordable iPhone due to its low price point and year old internals at the time. The XR is not supposed to be a budget model but a mid tier device aimed at the mainstream iPhone user that isn’t interested in the XS. It’s a totally different concept. The colours are just for extra appeal much like iPods of old.
Sounds like the same concept just done a little better.
[doublepost=1539978235][/doublepost]
If that’s your prediction, fine.

But the reality is, the XR is a very different beast. It’s the iPhone that’s bringing the new full screen design with FaceID to the mainstream consumer. And not only that, it’s got bang up to date internals and has the same finish and build details of the iPhone 8 it replaces. It will sell in enormous numbers.
I get that, but we can say that about any new launch’s. Meaning back in the 5 years that was a whole different beast at the time of the tech.

PeteS1963

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
lol so if there is stock available "nobody wants the phone" and its a failure but if there is no stock available "Apple sucks" because they didn't have enough inventory...

Ya can't win lol

Meanwhile there will be a gazillion happy XR customers who are getting new phones on release day.
You forgot - if there’s no stock available “Apple sucks” because they’ve deliberately restricted stock to make it look like there’s high demand & create hype.

Whatever, many of the comments in here are hilarious.

karmatourer

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
In my house
The morning after pre order usually falls weeks after launch day delivery. I can still pick a 8am pickup time for launch day. Never seen that for a new model launch.

Lots of supply or not an immediate demand for the cheaper versions?
TMOB has Red 64g available at 2p ET for delivery on release day. Ordered over phone due to website 6S+ trade-in issues.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Few reasons why units are available (summary):

1. Apple had an extra month to prepare additional units for shipment so they prepared a lot
2. Typical fans who love pre-ordering and waiting in line already did so last month for the XS and XS Max
3. Many people who were due for upgrades also walked in bought the XS and XS Max since its launch
4. Some people who want to upgrade want to see it in person and determine if the screen difference is a big deal
5. The people who are going to buy this are going to be like my parents or family who don't get things first day

In my opinion, ALL Apple launches should have enough units for everyone who wants one to buy, and I believe Apple did state long ago that this was their goal (even if logistics can't catch up yet).

The XR is going to sell a ton of copies. Maybe even outsell the XS and XS Max in the long term. It may be one reason why they delayed it by a month, so that people who are itching for a new phone aren't tempted to get the cheaper one.

This certainly worked on me. As I watched the event, I decided if I get a new iPhone it will be the XR. But a day or two before the XS Max launch, I got too excited and justified to myself why I should get in line and get the XS Max instead... and I did. Had the XR been available at the same time, I would have likely went with that one.

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
lol so if there is stock available "nobody wants the phone" and its a failure but if there is no stock available "Apple sucks" because they didn't have enough inventory...

Ya can't win lol

Meanwhile there will be a gazillion happy XR customers who are getting new phones on release day.
Lol, basically.

If Apple didn't have enough stock, que the Tim Cook "inventory" jokes.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
You forgot - if there’s no stock available “Apple sucks” because they’ve deliberately restricted stock to make it look like there’s high demand & create hype.

Whatever, many of the comments in here are hilarious.
Exactly no matter what it’s never good! Apple doomed it’s not selling, they artificially withhold stock to increase demand. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: GrumpyMom

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Maybe, But the only family member who wanted a Xr was my 13 yr old daughter(just picked up a Yellow one). My other kids thought it looks like a "toy phone" they opted for a 8+ or Xs...
It has the same aluminium frame and glass rear as the iPhone 8+ and is available in black and white. There’s nothing toy about it and certainly nothing to sneer at.
[doublepost=1539980051][/doublepost]
Sounds like the same concept just done a little better.
[doublepost=1539978235][/doublepost]

I get that, but we can say that about any new launch’s. Meaning back in the 5 years that was a whole different beast at the time of the tech.
I don’t even know what you’re talking about now I’m afraid. You indirectly said the 5c was a flop. It kind of was, I don’t disagree. The only comparison is the multicolour options. The 5c was last year’s device wrapped in deliberately cheapened casing. The XR, despite the lower price tag than the XS, is still very much a premium smartphone.

Last edited:

Renho

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
How is it the same concept in any way?
Potatoe patatoe
[doublepost=1539983459][/doublepost]
It has the same aluminium frame and glass rear as the iPhone 8+ and is available in black and white. There’s nothing toy about it and certainly nothing to sneer at.
[doublepost=1539980051][/doublepost]
I don’t even know what you’re talking about now I’m afraid. You indirectly said the 5c was a flop. It kind of was, I don’t disagree. The only comparison is the multicolour options. The 5c was last year’s device wrapped in deliberately cheapened casing. The XR, despite the lower price tag than the XS, is still very much a premium smartphone.
I understand that, I just mean that was 5 years ago tech. Much has changed, just now they don’t skimp out as much on there “cheaper versions”.. But hey, we won’t know they fair till real world tests are in and how people like them. It could very well be 50% of sales by next year.

Seth Matthews

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
The Ether
Funny. Several people were telling me days ago that this XR was gonna sell like hotcakes and even outsell the Xs and Xs Max. I doubted it then, I definitely doubt it now.

Reactions: Breezygirl

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I think it shows the Apple has much stronger supplier relations this year, and especially they’re offering six new colors, that means there is more selection for consumers to choose from, versus just having only two color options like the iPhone XS. I think if Apple can continue to have strong availability through the holidays, this phone will do really well across the board.

Reactions: QueenTyrone

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
The iPhone 5C was an iPhone 5 packaged in a cheaper plastic casing and was marketed as an affordable iPhone due to its low price point and year old internals at the time. The XR is not supposed to be a budget model but a mid tier device aimed at the mainstream iPhone user that isn’t interested in the XS. It’s a totally different concept. The colours are just for extra appeal much like iPods of old.
$750 is a now a mid tier phone. Jeez. No wonder there's no excitement and sales are week. $650 just a couple of years ago was the flagship phone. Cook's greed and lack of innovation will kill apple.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

DaveyVigs

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2016
I got white. I'm always concerned with scratching/discoloration of anything that isn't silver or aluminum colored. I'm sure a lot of us remember how that went with the iPhone 7 matte black LOL
agree with you on the white, I may opt to trade my blue for white if it doesn't call me in person.
not sure what you're talking about there my 7+ Matte Black was in perfect condition for 2 years of use and it only spent 2 months in a case. This past June it looked like the day I bought it and took it out of its packaging, especially after I got a free screen replacement with the free battery replacement.

Brien

macrumors 68030
Aug 11, 2008
This has been a weird year for iPhones. I hope Apple has a good wuarter but I was able to walk into an AT&T store launch day at around 4PM and had no problem buying myself a Max and my wife a regular XS. They were only out of one model, the 512GB gold Max.

I assumed people were holding out for the XR but now seeing they are all available still as well, perhaps Apple has finally figured out (overestimated even) their supply chain issues, or perhaps neither of the new X phones are enough of an upgrade for all the people who bought the X last year.

chanerz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2010
Some people don’t want to upgrade because of the price. Xs and max is expensive.

Renho

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Some people don’t want to upgrade because of the price. Xs and max is expensive.
Ya but paying monthly makes it far easier for people, it actually makes it so most people can afford it. Then just turn it in and get a new one.
[doublepost=1540008555][/doublepost]
This has been a weird year for iPhones. I hope Apple has a good wuarter but I was able to walk into an AT&T store launch day at around 4PM and had no problem buying myself a Max and my wife a regular XS. They were only out of one model, the 512GB gold Max.

I assumed people were holding out for the XR but now seeing they are all available still as well, perhaps Apple has finally figured out (overestimated even) their supply chain issues, or perhaps neither of the new X phones are enough of an upgrade for all the people who bought the X last year.
Well, when you have 10 years of trial and error you would hope you get it right..lol The Face ID censors and camera was used in all models so that made it easier.
[doublepost=1540008755][/doublepost]I just checked my Apple store, I can order any config and still pick a 8am pick up time. (Nor Cal). That says a lot cause they only reserve 3-8am pickup times for my store. I’m sure they will still sell a ton before January